• California Golden Bear

Walt Disney and Jack Benny

We all know Walt was a dreamer and innovator, a cartoonist, director and master showman, but did you also know he was a comedian? Check out this clip of Walt with Jack Benny: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERtZGH8Gn54[/YOUTUBE]
    Walt was quite a guy, wasn't he, giving free tickets to underprivileged children, and comedians.
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."
    -Walt Disney, March 1, 1941

“Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”
    Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Walt Disney and Jack Benny

Actually, you can get that episode of Jack Benny's show on DVD at the 99-cent store

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Banned User

I like that he said his charity wasn't publicized much. Walt didn't need cameras following him around to show the world he gave poor kids some free tickets like a certain talk show host who descends on the park whenever she wants to exploit some kids for her lame show. Charity it ain't. It's just production costs!

FYI...this clip comes up from time to time. Last time on this board was this past February in this thread:

http://micechat.com/forums/micechat-news-archive/54597-walt-jack-benny-funny-video.html

As I mentioned in that other thread...this was actually filmed in color (though "The Jack Benny Show" only aired in black & white back then), and I have a copy of it in color that I hope to come across one of these days. When I do...I'll YouTube it.

I agree that a lot of people sometimes don't realize what a funny guy Walt could often be. He was a bit of a "ham actor" going back to his first days with a motion picture camera. And he was quite a well-known "off-the-cuff" wit back in his day, with that distinct natural mid-western flair that later became so associated with folks like Carson and Letterman. So much so that he actually MC'd some of the early Academy Awards presentations to greatly approving audiences. I've seen many films and kinescopes, and heard many radio recordings of Walt in action "live." He was very funny not only with content...but had very good timing as well.

Johnny Carson once said he enjoyed his interviews and private talks with Walt almost more than any other for this reason. Carson would often comment on Walt being one of the most naturally funny guys he had ever met in Hollywood.

But it's clear from this clip and many others...that he could act comedy from a script quite well, too.