Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Done waiting!!

Whats so wrong with Pixar?

This should be interesting...
    What's so wrong with Disney basing rides on Pixar movies? If the mouse is going to base rides on movies (whether or not that's good policy is for another thread completely) wouldn't they want to base the ride on their best recent movies?
    A perfect example is the subs. They were all ready to redo the subs with Atlantis but when the movie flopped they scratched it. Why would anyone want to go on a ride based on a movie that they didn't like? But when Nemo came around and was a huge hit they knew that the ride would be successful (initially at least) just because people would want to see what Nemo and the gang were up to now.
    To be honest I'd much rather have a new Peoplemover based on the Incredibles than a Home on the Range dark ride just because one movie was better than the other. If Disney Animation was making better movies than Pixar then I don't doubt that you'd be more likely to see a Frog Princess attraction than Ratatouille ride.
    Remember though I'm not saying all rides should be based on movies.
    Be gentle...
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• A Suitcase & A Dream

Re: Whats so wrong with Pixar?

I don't think there is anything wrong with having Pixar based attractions but I don't think they should just be put in random places like Monsters Inc. in Hollywood Pictures Backlot, a Green Army parachute ride in Paradise Pier. They need to find a better balance.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by imagineerthat View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with having Pixar based attractions but I don't think they should just be put in random places like Monsters Inc. in Hollywood Pictures Backlot, a Green Army parachute ride in Paradise Pier. They need to find a better balance.

Exactly what I was going to say. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Pixar attractions, but I also think Disney management needs to find a better balance and not JUST do Pixar Attractions. I think of all the latest attractions after DCA's opening, the only non pixar attractions were Tower of Terror and Winnie the Pooh.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Merry 2014!

there is nothing wrong with having a ride based on a successful movie. a ride needs a good story and disney is a good storyteller. There just has to be a balance or it seems that disney isn't capable of much imagination. DCA is a result of that lack of storytelling and imagination. Look at its lack of themeing, its poorly disguised rides you can get anywhere, poorly thought out crowd flow through the park. The fear is that the only thing saving Disneyand is Pixar and the amount of new rides seems to bear this out.

Disneyland gained a solid reputaion by having unique, original, storytelling experiences and has many more rides that are not based on movies that have been around a long time are still very popular. They are based on a catagory like pirates, haunted houses, deep sea, old west, exotic locations but have original stories, characters, etc. that are based on imagineers original reasearch and imagination. A lot of us would like that tradition to continue.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    poorly thought out crowd flow through the park.
    I have to disagree with you there. Disneyland is by far worse than California Adventure in terms of crowd flow.

Pixar stories have contemporary settings, which do not fit with the timeless nature of The Magic Kingdoms.

Additionally, the Pixar stuff does not directly relate to California and to the presentation D.C.A. is attempting to make. So, at least, in the case of Disneyland Resort, these newer attractions are weakening both theme parks, creatively-speaking.

There is a way to incorporate Pixar characters, and other Pixar intellectual property, into D.C.A., but doing so has to be handled carefully. This thread presents a reasonable possibilty for keeping the new park coherent: Fertile Imaginations, presented by Apple .

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius View Post
    I have to disagree with you there. Disneyland is by far worse than California Adventure in terms of crowd flow.
    Maybe, but there's also more people there. Put the same amount of people into DCA and see what happens.

• the rum is always gone

pixar attractions are good, but ORIGNIAL attractions, not based on movies are better. IE: Haunted Mansion, BTMRR, Space Mountain...etc.

• Banned User

My problem is that they have not all been confined to DCA. Put them there. The park is a lost cause at that point. Pixar rides can't exactly make it worse. I think DCA should be a dumping ground for any ideas that can't fit into DL but are still worth doing.

As far as Pixar in Disneyland goes, it's not inherently bad, but Disney should not rely on them. Let Universal handle movie rides. What happened to original concepts like Pirates, Mansion, and Small World? Everest proves that original concepts (even if it's the Matterhorn on steroids with a little "runaway mine train" which has been done to death), can still bring in the crowds.

• n/a

I'll tells ya what's wrong. 3D animation is the devil! ::shakes stick::
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius View Post

Don't you need crowds to have crowd flow?

BA-ZING!!!

You all know the quote: "To all that come to this happy place: welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America... with hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

Pixar produces great animation. There's a lot of love that goes into their production, the kind of the love that Disney Animated Features made so great. Personally, I embrace Pixar's stories. I view attractions based on them no differently than those based on Disney animated canon. There's nothing wrong with Pixar. Instead , there is something wrong with Disney.

Pixar is getting blamed because Disney isn't producing content that reflects our culture, values, and a vision for the future in the way that it did when Walt was alive. Pixar substitutes for what Disney itself hasn't been able to provide for years. Disney's efforts feel a little soul-less at times. That's not the fault of Pixar. It lies squarely with The Walt Disney Company.

That said, I have some hope for a Disney future because of Meet The Robinsons. It wasn't the greatest Disney animation I've seen -- a vast improvement though -- but the message at the end wasn't just about the movie. It is a tiddings for some great things to come. Just watch.
    666: The Number Of The Beast
    664: The Number Of The Bloke Next Door

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog664 View Post
    That said, I have some hope for a Disney future because of Meet The Robinsons.
    I doubt that those of us who are against Pixar based attractions will welcome a Meet the Robinson's attraction for exactly the same reasons.

You're right, it has nothing to do with Pixar, it has to do with the lack of original concepts and the toonification of Disneyland. It doesn't matter if it's Disney, Pixar, or Pooh.

I would love to see a long 10-15 minute dark ride attraction in Tomorrowland in the spirit of Horizons. They could do great things with this concept with the help of 2007 technology. Unfortunately it wouldn't be based on a movie, cartoon, tv show, nor would it last two and a half minutes or have any g-forces. I forgot they are pretty big on short thrill rides too. Drat.

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    I doubt that those of us who are against Pixar based attractions will welcome a Meet the Robinson's attraction for exactly the same reasons.

You're right, it has nothing to do with Pixar, it has to do with the lack of original concepts and the toonification of Disneyland. It doesn't matter if it's Disney, Pixar, or Pooh.

I would love to see a long 10-15 minute dark ride attraction in Tomorrowland in the spirit of Horizons. They could do great things with this concept with the help of 2007 technology. Unfortunately it wouldn't be based on a movie, cartoon, tv show, nor would it last two and a half minutes or have any g-forces. I forgot they are pretty big on short thrill rides too. Drat.
    There were some neat details in the film but I wouldn't be thrllled to see a Meet The Robinsons attraction either. I'm hoping it to be an Oliver & Company like precursor to the next Little Mermaid.

I second your Tomorrowland idea. That's exactly the kind of attraction I'd like to see there.
    666: The Number Of The Beast
    664: The Number Of The Bloke Next Door

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Pixar stories have contemporary settings, which do not fit with the timeless nature of The Magic Kingdoms.

Additionally, the Pixar stuff does not directly relate to California and to the presentation D.C.A. is attempting to make. So, at least, in the case of Disneyland Resort, these newer attractions are weakening both theme parks, creatively-speaking.

There is a way to incorporate Pixar characters, and other Pixar intellectual property, into D.C.A., but doing so has to be handled carefully. This thread presents a reasonable possibilty for keeping the new park coherent: Fertile Imaginations, presented by Apple .

Very good point and I agree with your post, but not exactly with your idea of how to fix them. A silicon valley type area wouldn't be much different than throwing a number of various movie rides into Hollywood Pictures Backlot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast