Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

05.05.07 -- NAPA ROSE & HEARTHSTONE LOUNGE Photo Review

(now that I have your attention)

Hey, mouseketeers! Last time I took a visit to Steakhouse 55 with a positive review, even though it probably could have been better, I thoroughly enjoyed it. (go here to revisit those photos: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...=steakhouse+55 )

This saturday's visit though, was a restaurant experience I've been most interested in trying since its opening: NAPA ROSE, located at the Grand Californian Hotel. If you've seen the menu, you'll know that it's not something you can do on a daily or even weekly basis, but I thought I waited long enough.

But let's take a look at a few other things first!

The sign to the Grand Californian Hotel:

One good thing about dining at the Grand Californian Hotel is that you can valet your car for 5 hours if you dine there. Highly recommend it if you're only there for a quick bite, as it sure beats going through Downtown Disney.

I know that the LOST BAR at Disneyland Hotel is a popular mice chat spot, but GCH has one too called the HEARTHSTONE LOUNGE.

Perhaps the reason of it not being as popular as the Lost Bar is because of how bright it is... or maybe how close it is to the main lobby of the hotel (which is close to many hotel rooms). Creating a drunken ruckus here would be quite embarassing wouldn't it?

But still, the place is quite spacious and has an extensive drink menu, including some drinks found from the other Disney parks around the world. They even have an appetizer menu which includes SLIDERS... so add that to the Burger Bite-off list whenever that happens.

Notice the lamp shades have mickey symbols on them? How totally cute.

The drinks were mixed well, and having gone twice in the same day, the speed of your service definitely depends on your server. During the late afternoon, it was fast. After midnight, it was slow.

After a couple of Long Islands and Capn and Diet, it was time for the real deal. A meal at the Napa Rose.

.... oh look! It's friendly neighborhood Mousercise!

^She says she never eaten here either. So in we go!

We were seated near the large windows facing DCA. It was bright!

Each table has some roses and uh... is that a honey suckle? Or umm... one of those sesame crackers? Whatever it is, it's in dire need of a blue pill.

High ceilings is the name of the game at Napa Rose...

And cool columns...

A look behind me...

Here's the bread basket at Napa Rose. Not quite the Sankara stones from Steakhouse 55, but a decent array of yeast on a thorny basket.

Here's what the Disney website has to say about Napa Rose:

Delight in specialty dishes and seasonal creations celebrating California's legendary Napa Valley. Enjoy a menu that captures the essence and embraces the bounty of California's seacoast, farmlands, vineyards and ranches.
    • Named the best new restaurant in the 2002 Zagat dining guide survey and "Top Food" in the 2003 edition
    • Sweeping views of Disney's California Adventure® Park
    • Seasonal creations assure that each visit will offer something new
    • Expert sommeliers assist you in the perfect selection from an award-winning collection of California wines

We didn't have any starters but started with a bottle of this white wine:

I'm not a big wine freak but I thought this was pretty good. It was Mousercise's pick too so naturally it was good.

And then the food showed up. It was literally less than 10 minutes after we ordered. That was FAST.

Here's Mousercise's meat entree, the Shortrib served over a Veggie Risotto priced at $32.

I ordered the New York Steak served with a "mac & cheese" type rice side dish that was $37.

We both felt that we needed some sort of potato so we added on a side of the Roasted Fingerling Potatoes. It had mushrooms in it but they looked like worms.

I sampled the shortrib and thought it tasted alright, but not as good as I was expecting for $32. The NY Steak was prepared very well and the mac & cheese risotto thing was quite good. The potatoes were decent... not too spectacular.

Dessert!

We each had room for dessert after our meals (complete opposite of our steakhouse 55 visit). I went for the Chocolate cake.

Nice presentation, decent cake, not enough ice cream.

Mousercise got the creme brulee tart which was good.

Mousercise likes her wine!

So that was our meal at the Napa Rose! Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, but we both agreed that we enjoyed Steakhouse 55 a whole lot more. It seemed far classier with images of Walt around the dining facility and better mood lighting. Napa Rose is still a very nice establishment but a view into DCA is hardly classy. But still, this is a location with great fantastic service and a menu that changes often enough to check back again. I doubt we'll be coming back too much sooner but we don't regret trying it out.

Hope this review was helpful!

Happy Ending!

So overall, service was great, food was good, price is high, steakhouse 55 preferred, spider-man 3 blew.

While the restaurant and lounge review portion has ended, I will return with more photos from that evening!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: 05.05.07 -- NAPA ROSE & HEARTHSTONE LOUNGE Photo Review

Looks like you two had a very nice little outing! Thanks for the very in-depth report and pictures.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Aww thanks, MissChristine!

Other than the restaurant and lounge, there's always more to do when at the parks.

Marceline's is always fun to visit when you have time to kill.

The apple of the month is in Mickey's shorts! ^^

mmmmmmm nutty strawberries!

Even the light fixtures look delicious!

One of my favorite cookies: the white chocolate rasberry something something. I think it tastes better from Pooh Corner though.

This is some private party!

After all the fun of dinner and watching Spider-Man 3 in Downtown Disney, we hopped onto the Monorail to check out the final hour of Disneyland. We were able to snag the front cockpit too!

And just our luck, two drunk guys want to partake in the front cockpit too. Ok actually one was drunk, the other was embarassed and silent. They were from Sacramento and the drunk one kept asking me if I was going to pop the question. We were wondering if Princess Buttercup had anything to do with this awkward encounter! They are from up north afterall!

The subs were being tested, and the seagulls were moving their heads about. It's so cool to see it!!

After a ride on Buzz, we strolled into Adventureland for some Indy action.

I think someone needs to get glasses.

Some Indy shots.

And the final shot of the evening, walking out of the park after closing.

THE END!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• California Golden Bear

You're eating at the Napa Rose and order Oregon wine? WTF?
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."
    -Walt Disney, March 1, 1941

“Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”
    Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

• All you need is LOVE

Wow looks like you 2 had a great time. thanks so much for sharing.

• All you need is LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by 1313HarborBlvd View Post
    You're eating at the Napa Rose and order Oregon wine? WTF?

Yes and why does it matter???

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Wonderful, although next time I'd suggest a fine Australian wine none of this Oregon or even Californian muck <just jokes joyce> Pinot Gris is a pretty light white, not much to it, a bit like a Riesling. Not many people drink them. I do ^_^ Although I'd suggest something more robust with red meat, mushrooms and potatoes. Perhaps a nice blended red of Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz and Merlot mmm....
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Legs View Post
    Yes and why does it matter???
    I agree.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

Very nice and sorry about Spiderman 3.

Maybe a nice Napa Shiraz would have made it more palatable?
    Wine and movie pairings - the wave of the future!
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

• Circle of Ancients

[QUOTE=Coheteboy;1716929]A look behind me...

Is that a bobble head waiter? He seems kind of vibrate-y!

I ordered the New York Steak served with a "mac & cheese" type rice side dish that was $37.

Mmmm, New York Steak!

We each had room for dessert after our meals (complete opposite of our steakhouse 55 visit). I went for the Chocolate cake.

Nice presentation, decent cake, not enough ice cream.

Mousercise got the creme brulee tart which was good.

Those both look delish!

Marceline's is always fun to visit when you have time to kill.

But this is my favorite!

They were from Sacramento and the drunk one kept asking me if I was going to pop the question. We were wondering if Princess Buttercup had anything to do with this awkward encounter! They are from up north afterall!

Hey Hey hey! Sacramento is closer to Disney Ballerina's and Trekkie Dad's neck of the woods!

So....did you pop the question?

Nice report Cohete Boy! You two looked great on your date! : )

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I like try any wine, But I with Crazylag.

Thank you for the photo and TR

Someone Ask you if you pop the Question? Himmm
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    They were from Sacramento and the drunk one kept asking me if I was going to pop the question. We were wondering if Princess Buttercup had anything to do with this awkward encounter! They are from up north afterall!

Hey Hey hey! Sacramento is closer to Disney Ballerina's and Trekkie Dad's neck of the woods!
    Yes, but I would never be so bold and ask such a personal question!

Riiiight.

So if you didn't ask her at Napa Rose, are you waiting to do it until you go back to Steakhouse 55?

Nice report. We ate at the Napa Rose once. I thought it was pretty good. I don't remember it being that expensive, but I was on vacation and probably not paying much attention to the prices.

Anyway, thanks for sharing with us.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by disneyballerina View Post
    Yes, but I would never be so bold and ask such a personal question!

Riiiight.

So if you didn't ask her at Napa Rose, are you waiting to do it until you go back to Steakhouse 55?

Yeah, he should really wait till at least their 3rd date to pop the question!

• Don't mess with the duck!

Awesome review. Yummmmmmm, steak. Me thinks I gots to go there just for the desserts (wow). Love all the commentary and excellent pics.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast