Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Neep meep beep

Disneyland ramps up marketing to Quinceneras

From the Los Angeles Times, at http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-trw-quince4may06:

"A horse-drawn crystal coach for your daughter? Her own twinkling ballroom?
    Anything is possible these days at Disney resorts, which stage elaborate quinceanera parties, the traditional celebrations of coming-of-age for 15-year-old girls in Latin American cultures.
    ...on Wednesday announced party packages with price tags up to $20,000. Meanwhile, Disneyland Resort in Anaheim is ramping up marketing for quinceaneras, which it has informally offered since 2005.
    ... Robert Deuel, spokesman for sales and travel operations in Anaheim. "We're aware that quinceaneras are a growing market."
    Although Deuel would not give figures, he said demand for the parties "has just about doubled" every year.
    Currently only the Spanish-language version of Disneyland's website, www.Disneylandespanol.com/quinceanera , and a Spanish-language brochure promote quinceaneras. Deuel said the resort is developing information to post on the English-language version of the website."

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland ramps up marketing to quinceanera s

Is Disney THAT desperate for money that they'd stoop to that level??? I honestly have no idea why people even have quinceaneras. I refused to have one because nobody I knew could give me a good enough reason as to why this had to happen for my 15th. Mostly I got the answer that you just do it when you're 15 ... which doesn't make sense to me.

• Banned User

My Super Sweet 16: Disneyland

• Neep meep beep

People spend huge amounts of money on Quinceneras - I remember visiting family in Guatemala, and being invited to a quincenera where the father had chartered an entire United Airlines jet and flew all of his daughter's friends from Chicago to Guatemala, and rented out the finest hotel in Antigua, three live bands, and live parrots and monkeys running around the pool area - pretty crazy, and definitely expensive.

Just like weddings, you can definitely make the argument that it's not worth the money, but it won't stop people with money from paying top dollar for the experience, especially at Disneyland.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    Is Disney THAT desperate for money that they'd stoop to that level??? I honestly have no idea why people even have quinceaneras. I refused to have one because nobody I knew could give me a good enough reason as to why this had to happen for my 15th. Mostly I got the answer that you just do it when you're 15 ... which doesn't make sense to me.
    A friend (who had one, I did not, even though I'm also Mexican) once said that people have them in MExico because it is simply to celebrate the fact that this girl made it to 15 without getting pregnant. And they usually are within the next year or so...seriously.

I would go into this further, but it goes somewhere where people would think I'm getting political, so I'll keep my mouth shut. I'm just tired of Disney catering to a particular demographic that cheapens the park so much.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• California Golden Bear

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986 View Post
    A friend (who had one, I did not, even though I'm also Mexican) once said that people have them in MExico because it is simply to celebrate the fact that this girl made it to 15 without getting pregnant. And they usually are within the next year or so...seriously.

I would go into this further, but it goes somewhere where people would think I'm getting political, so I'll keep my mouth shut. I'm just tired of Disney catering to a particular demographic that cheapens the park so much.
    Exactly which "particular demographic" is it that "cheapens the park so much"?
    Rich Mexicans who can afford expensive 15th birthday parties? Or maybe you meant the hoards of them who are pregnant as teenagers?
    Maybe I misunderstood you, but your remarks seem racist and not in keeping with the spirit of MiceChat, Walt Disney's ideals or America itself.
    Walt was all about tolerance and understood that tolerance and freedom are what make this country great. So whether its gay weddings in the park or quinceaneras, people have a right to have them there and Disney has a right to offer them and profit off them.
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."
    -Walt Disney, March 1, 1941

“Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”
    Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

• California Golden Bear

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    Is Disney THAT desperate for money that they'd stoop to that level???.
    To what level do you think Disney is stooping? They've offered special packages for birthdays, weddings and other events for a long time, how is this any different? If people are willing to pay for this service why shouldn’t Disney offer it? That’s the fifth freedom.
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."

“Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986 View Post

This feels really petty and mean spirited.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    This feels really petty and mean spirited.
    Its just a joke. When my sister wanted one my family said no and thats the reason they gave her

Most Mexicans, Hispanics, Latinos, whatever, will tell you quinceaneras or any sweet 16 parties are a joke anyway. No teenage girl is worth that much.

• Hiding in the shadows

I am sure they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of getting it on their website and getting the word out if there wasn't a damand for the product, which it seems there is. The latin market is a growing consumer base that several companies are bending over backward to tap into, its a huge growth opportunity.

The fact that for me its insane to pay anything like that for a party for my daughter regardless of the purpose without it being her wedding...no way. But hey, if the banquet room is free and there is someone that wants to pay for it for whatever event, I am all for it. The use of the space means more money flowing into the resort and every bit counts right...still saving up for the people mover redo ...

A little piece of heaven

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I wonder if they'll put together a Bris Package?

• California Golden Bear

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I wonder if they'll put together a Bris Package?
    Probably tied in with a pirates promotion.

• Minion

It's basically like a Sweet 16, or a "coming out party" (speaking of old terms)... my family isn't big on the sweet 16 thing, but my nephew is married to a girl from Lousiana and I'm pretty sure families with the money to do so make a huge deal over Sweet 16. I don't think it's a joke, I think we pay less attention to transitions in life than we used to and than other cultures still do. I think there are better ways to spend money, but then, I don't have a lot of it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Its just a joke. When my sister wanted one my family said no and thats the reason they gave her

Most Mexicans, Hispanics, Latinos, whatever, will tell you quinceaneras or any sweet 16 parties are a joke anyway. No teenage girl is worth that much.
    And others you talk to will say it's a special celebration for their daughter.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Quote Originally Posted by 1313HarborBlvd View Post
    Exactly which "particular demographic" is it that "cheapens the park so much"?
    Rich Mexicans who can afford expensive 15th birthday parties? Or maybe you meant the hoards of them who are pregnant as teenagers?
    Maybe I misunderstood you, but your remarks seem racist and not in keeping with the spirit of MiceChat, Walt Disney's ideals or America itself.
    Walt was all about tolerance and understood that tolerance and freedom are what make this country great. So whether its gay weddings in the park or quinceaneras, people have a right to have them there and Disney has a right to offer them and profit off them.
    Listen, I understand how my statement can be misinterpreted. It's not racist, at least I don't find things to be racist when you are pointing out characteristics of one's own group. I agree that my feelings on the matter as a whole are not necesarily in MiceChat, which is why I chose not to give a full opinion on the situation.

To be honest, it's not always Mexican families that can afford it. Many put themselves in a terrible financial state for this. It, in many ways, is just like a wedding. I see families in local parks, even in some nicer parks near my grandparents, taking pictures for the event as if it were a wedding. The priorities are quite out of proportion...
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast