Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Disgruntled Former CM

Wink Re: DCA needs a mountain

Quote Originally Posted by phruby View Post
    How about a ride about a volcano underneath the streets of L.A.? It should be a pretty scary ride if they include an Anne Heche AA.

The AA Cher figure in "SuperStar Limo" ride (set amidst the brush fires in Malibu...) was already deemed Too Scary for small children to view up close; let's learn from our Past Mistakes...

"Those who fail to study History (of failed attractions...) , are doomed to repeat it..."

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: DCA needs a mountain

The problem with DCA's Grizzly Peak is that it was designed to be viewed from the Grand Californian Hotel. The direction the bear is facing, and the position of its "body" were specifically designed to be eye candy for the guests of the Grand Californian. The mountain is nice, no doubt, but ultimately, it falls flat because the Grizzly shape is unrecognizeable from most angles.

Furthermore, the Mountain itself is an immense waste of space, as the Grizzly River Run attraction and the mountain do not interact with eatchother. More or less, the Mountain is pretty much a detached set piece for the ride, unlike other Disney mountains, where the Mountain itself contains the attractoin (i.e. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, Expedition Everest, etc).

I think what JiminyCricketFan is trying to say here is that DCA needs an icon. Right now, it has several icons, and none of them are as strong as any of Disneyland's icons. And what better way to make a park icon than with a mountain that houses a truly blockbuster E-Ticket experience?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I don't see GRR as qualifying because I was talking about a ride that was both an Icon and a way to build UP in a limited space. GRR is not inside anything and also does not really take advantage of the "mountain" theme. Kali River rapids at DMGMS is basically the same ride without the mountain.

Think of Splash. People stand everyday watching the riders pludge down that iconic mountain. Space Mountain is a landmark too, as well as the Matterhorn. GRR does not work because the icon of the bear does not associate itself with the ride well enough. The best view of the bear is from the east side where the ride is not visible.

Even if there are those who still want to count GRR as DCA's mountain, the park can use more. Down at the southern end of the park there are electrical lines that Disney doees not want to spend the money to bury. What about a mountain range that covered those up and provided more space for a ride to be installed? Mountains go with every theme.

I see what you mean about GRR not being a "real" mountain because the ride really sits on top of the mountain and not within. That's more of a flaw with the original design team, which COULD HAVE built an attraction WITHIN the mountain as well. It's all empty space and dirt! All the Mountain rides at Disneyland... they're really IN the mountain for the most part. Not so much GRR.

But despite that, I still think GRR counts as a mountain at DCA. Not a great one, but it's still an E-Ticket in my book. It's a RAPIDS ride. How does that not get an E-Ticket status? Maybe it's not as huge on thrills as we're used to but if that was built in Walt's day, it would be one of the most popular attractions ever.

But so hmmm.. another mountain at DCA. It's rather difficult to imagine a new mountain attraction with the CA theme isn't it? I mean... big thunder could pretty much be CA with a different style mountain. Everything else has been done in the other resorts.

DCA needs to push the boundaries with their mountain concepts because it has to be more specific in location than Disneyland could be.

Here's the concept sketch of a ski-resort hill I whipped up in the other thread. The skilift inverted coaster lift track goes up the side of the mountain and the coaster is actually on the other side (yes, over disneyland drive). Within the mountain could be a Bobsled exploring caverns and escaping an avalanche... ride system based on Tokyo's Journey into the center of the Earth attraction.

(this concept replaces the lousy side of Paradise Pier)

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• The one, the only...

I think that your ski mountain idea is a good one. I would add one thing, that is the shape of the mountain should be identifiable and iconic. It should not just look like some snow capped mountains, but have something that is a focal point.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat Moderator

I think that your ski mountain idea is a good one. I would add one thing, that is the shape of the mountain should be identifiable and iconic. It should not just look like some snow capped mountains, but have something that is a focal point.

We could make it the shape of a Wooly Mammoth? hahahahaha

• My Boss Has No Idea

I don't think people associate California when they think about skiing. Would that really fit in DCA??

Great art work thou...

COMING IN THE YEAR 2020

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: DCA needs a mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I see what you mean about GRR not being a "real" mountain because the ride really sits on top of the mountain and not within. That's more of a flaw with the original design team, which COULD HAVE built an attraction WITHIN the mountain as well. It's all empty space and dirt! All the Mountain rides at Disneyland... they're really IN the mountain for the most part. Not so much GRR.

But despite that, I still think GRR counts as a mountain at DCA. Not a great one, but it's still an E-Ticket in my book. It's a RAPIDS ride. How does that not get an E-Ticket status? Maybe it's not as huge on thrills as we're used to but if that was built in Walt's day, it would be one of the most popular attractions ever.

But so hmmm.. another mountain at DCA. It's rather difficult to imagine a new mountain attraction with the CA theme isn't it? I mean... big thunder could pretty much be CA with a different style mountain. Everything else has been done in the other resorts.

DCA needs to push the boundaries with their mountain concepts because it has to be more specific in location than Disneyland could be.
    Had Grizzly River Run been built in "Walt's Day" it would have been an E-ticket because:
    - it would have been 'cutting edge' / the precursor of White Water Rides - not coming 20 years too late to the party...
    - it would have incorporated the 'mountain' itself into the ride, or shared the mountain with another, gentler attraction (such as a small steam train voyage through the same terrain; much as Walt used both the Frontierland steam trains and pack mule rides to journey into Nature's Wonderland...)
    - it would have incorporated AA figures into the attraction
    - it would have had a connection to something "Grizzly" - interaction with bears, at first friendly (during the slower friendlier part of the ride), leading up to more and more 'surprise' encounters as the ride picks up speed, culminating in a mammoth "attack" of a Grizzly rearing up on his hind legs, allowing us to survive by narrowly escaping down the biggest waterfall...

We would not have to debate whether it was an E-ticket or not, because it would have all the hallmarks of a true E-Ticket, first rate, never before seen Attraction; "it's really Big!" or "it takes up so much space!" does not qualify it as an "E-Ticket".

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by KonLuvsDL View Post
    this is kind of off topic but

The reason i defend DCA is because i see it as DL's little brother

DL being the older brother, the star athlete that everyone loves... and DCA being the younger, uncoordinated, nerdy little brother who shares some of his older brothers features...but unfortunately his mom lived under power lines when she was pregnant with him......

You gotta love the little guy .... it's not his fault
    but he IS family!
    blame his parents for the bad choices they made when he was in the "development stages"
    but dont take it out on him.... at least try to make the kid feel somewhat special
    best analogy ever

My Maleficent tattoo

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JafarFarAway... View Post
    I don't think people associate California when they think about skiing. Would that really fit in DCA??

Great art work thou...

It's a good argument, and that's possibly why DCA ignores the idea... but there's a lot more to CA than beaches and bugs and hollywood. We're also in very close proximity to some fantastic mountain resorts. Mammoth Mountain closer to the north, and Big Bear and Snow Summit in the south. You could literally do a morning of snowboarding AND Disneyland in the same day.

If this is Disney's "California" Adventure, they're ignoring a key element of what makes CA so special: snow

• The one, the only...

I think that EvilQueen is right about how Walt would have done it and it really would have been innovative.

But I not here to knock GRR. I not sure I would call it a mountain but that has been discussed already.

Mountains are important!

A day at Disneyland is defined by its mountains. How many times have I heard parents ask their kids what ride they want to ride first and heard, "Space Mountain" or "Splash Mountain." A mountain, because of its height advertises to the world that it is there, come explore me. It towers over everything else, providing its own promotion.

Disneyland has more mountains than any Disney park, but I would not give up one of them! All of them provide highlights to a day at DL.

DCA needs at least one of those kinds of mountains. A ride that towers over others and promotes the park as a whole. I also think that building UP better uses DCA's limited space. Why not build a "mountain" ride and then put something else in the basement, like a restaurant or shopping area, or even a smaller ride! That would maximize DCA's precious land and promote the park better as a whole.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    If this is Disney's "California" Adventure, they're ignoring a key element of what makes CA so special: snow
    One more thing... An air conditioned ride that provided a cool off point on hot summer days would be a big hit at DCA. With all the cement at DCA, it can be very hot there in the summer.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: DCA needs a mountain

One more thing... An air conditioned ride that provided a cool off point on hot summer days would be a big hit at DCA. With all the cement at DCA, it can be very hot there in the summer.
    I thought that "Cement" and "Concrete" were just in keeping with the 'California Theme'...

• MiceChat Moderator

How about an air conditioned land? hahaha j/k. I think a winter wonderland all year long would be quite popular with Disney guests. These theme parks are meant to transport us to somewhere else. So far, they haven't transported us anywhere too far.

• Minion

I think that of they expanded their wilderness area to include more Sierra Nevada features they could incorporate such notable chunks of rock like Half Dome and El Capitan, two very identifiable rocks that are recognized easily.

• Sock Puppet

i also agree that they should add parts of Yosemite. Make they can re-build the Grand California Hotel as the Awahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast