Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

New Monorail Spiel?

Ok, I'm sure this is old news, but until yesterday, I hadn't ridden the monorail in a few months.
    And the narration seemed different than the last time I rode it...

The smooth, calm voice telling you what attractions you're passing by/through gets interrupted by a loud, annoying voice. I forget the first thing he says, but the second time it's like: I think we're lost! Let's ask the conductor for directions! Then the regular spiel kicks in saying "We're heading into Downtown Disney" or whatever. It was stupid, and annoying and made NO SENSE w/the narration and interrupted my soothing trip

I think he also laughs or makes some other noise?

What the heck is THAT all about
    (and when will it go away?)
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Mickey Mouse Slave

Re: New Monorail Spiel?

i remember riding the monorail once and we were passing the Nemo ride and the speil was like "We are now passing the new ride "Finding Nemo!" Coming ot you so-Summer." -on

black being the spiel, the red being the monorail conductor :P
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

Exclamation Re: New Monorail Spiel?

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    ...I think we're lost! Let's ask the conductor for directions! Then the regular spiel kicks in saying "We're heading into Downtown Disney" or whatever. It was stupid, and annoying and made NO SENSE w/the narration and interrupted my soothing trip
    I think you just got a CM playing with the spiel button... I've seen/heard them do that before, where they will try to "be funny" by asking questions they know will be answered by the auto-spiel. I agree that it's very annoying and wish they'd stop. Some of the parking tram guys are *extreamly* annoying as well. They really need to just let the recorded spiel play. It's there for a reason!

(The parking lot tram CM I'm thinking of thinks it's funny to talk like Mickey, but it sounds horrible and he doesn't even know most of the info anyways. Yesterday he said "Subs will be opening mid-July!", when there is about 50 signs a few feet from the DtD tram stop saying June 11th. And it's been in the CM ref. guide)
    Last edited by Wesley815; 05-10-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    -Wes

• Banned User

It depends on what they say. What you describe sounds annoying, but there was one conductor who would work with the spiel. They did their thing and then would say, "Now back to you announcer guy!" or something like that. They timed it really well.

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    It depends on what they say. What you describe sounds annoying, but there was one conductor who would work with the spiel. They did their thing and then would say, "Now back to you announcer guy!" or something like that. They timed it really well.
    That's true, and it depends on how well they actually use the mic. Some people feel the need to yell into it, or put the mic almost inside their mouth to talk. Gheez, lol... just talk natural- it works fine.
    -Wes

• It's all about Theme!

Let's hope the spiel will be smoother with the arrival of the new monorails.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

So the new speil sucks??

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    I think you just got a CM playing with the spiel button... I've seen/heard them do that before, where they will try to "be funny" by asking questions they know will be answered by the auto-spiel. I agree that it's very annoying and wish they'd stop.
    I generally don't mind it. Have some compassion for those CMs. Imagine hearing that same recording over and over and over and over and ...

I remember boarding a Parking Lot tram at the end of the day where the CMs really had it down:

CM: "On behalf of myself. The driver"
    Driver "Yo!"
    CM: "And the Magic Voice"
    Recorded Spiel: "Hello Everyone"
    CM: "We hope you had a wonderful time today at Disneyland."

"JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by brassplayer View Post
    I generally don't mind it. Have some compassion for those CMs. Imagine hearing that same recording over and over and over and over and ...

I remember boarding a Parking Lot tram at the end of the day where the CMs really had it down:

CM: "On behalf of myself. The driver"
    Driver "Yo!"
    CM: "And the Magic Voice"
    Recorded Spiel: "Hello Everyone"
    CM: "We hope you had a wonderful time today at Disneyland."

(Bolding Mine)

Commercial sign in 15 seconds... Bonus points to those who get the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    (Bolding Mine)

Commercial sign in 15 seconds... Bonus points to those who get the reference.
    MST3K
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by brassplayer View Post
    MST3K
    Congrats, fellow lip-buzzer.

Getting back on topic, here, I had a great monorail pilot about a week or so ago when I took the last run of Monorail Purple out of the park at 11 PM. He was hilarious.

"Welcome aboard the haunted monorail. I am your pilot... Your... ghost pilot.."

And on in that vein, including the ghost theme park on the left with 999 happy haunts celebrating the park being closed. And finally, "Consider this dismaying observation. All passengers must disembark at the Downtown Disney platform. Which leaves you with this chilling challenge: TO FIND A WAY BACK! *evil laugh*"

I really enjoyed him. Wish I could remember his name.

It's not a part of the spiel, it's the pilot's attempt at entertainment. Some like it, some don't. Personally, I just let the magic voice do his thing and stick to talking to my VIP guests in the nose ;o)

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    I think you just got a CM playing with the spiel button... I've seen/heard them do that before, where they will try to "be funny" by asking questions they know will be answered by the auto-spiel. I agree that it's very annoying and wish they'd stop. Some of the parking tram guys are *extreamly* annoying as well. They really need to just let the recorded spiel play. It's there for a reason!
    Ahh... I'm so glad it was a CM trying to be funny and failing miserably! It was really annoying!

The tram CMs can be hit or miss when they joke around.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by kriskitty22 View Post
    It's not a part of the spiel, it's the pilot's attempt at entertainment. Some like it, some don't. Personally, I just let the magic voice do his thing and stick to talking to my VIP guests in the nose ;o)
    Oh... my... god... You're a monorail pilot? That would be my dreamjob at DL. That or railroad engineer/brakeman. I bow down before you. (And I love riding in the nose. Only compartment with a/c).

lol Yes, I am a pilot, but that's just one of the attractions I work. The best part of 'flying' the Monorail is the little kids that have never been on it. They get so excited and are quite adorable. I think I made one little boys day when I let him honk the horn. Such a cutie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast