Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I love this place!

Animation Academy

Just a general question about the Animation Academy at DCA. You know, where you learn to draw a character. Have you done it? Is it worth the time? Did it make you a better artist? Would you do it again?

We've never taken the time to do this although we usually go in the Animation Building at least once during our trips. I've always wanted to go and see how well we can do, since I can't draw a stick-figure and my wife is a wonderful artist.

So maybe if enough people say they enjoyed the experience/felt it worth the time, I can get her to go with me. So, how is it?

• I'm Flying High

Re: Animation Academy

I actually am way better at drawing Mickey now! It does help!
    The daydream princess

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I HAAAAAAATE the Animation Academy. I cannot draw. I just makes me feel inadequate. I only go when I get drug in, and I throw away every picture I draw. It has definitely not made me a better artist

BUT! the CMs are awesome. It's fun to see how the characters are made. As a thing to do in general, it is fine.

I'ts just not my cup of tea.
    You should definately try it. It's free, it doesn't last too long, etc. It's worth at least doing once!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• no flash photography...

I love it, but no it did not make me a better artist. 2 years of drawing and various art classes in college did that and my mickey still looked funky. I'm better at just looking at the character and drawing it than all those circles.

It is fun though. I always draw mine taking up the whole aper....I guess that's what I remember from art 101 use the whole paper...

• Mousketeer

you will learn tips on construction, but it won't make you a better drawer. Drawing alot will make you a better drawer.

Get a sketchbook, draw every chance you get.

• Cherry Tart

It's a cute show, but it pretty much just a live version of those cheap 'how to draw' books. It's not really meant to make you a better artist. But my friends and I always get a kick out of going there and drawing the most random stuff for fun. As an animation student and lover of Disney, I try to fill my paper with as many characters as I can just to...show off. *ashamed* Hehehe.

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

• 1stOfficial Rider on Nemo

We enjoyed it so much that we did all four shows in a row, learning to draw a different character each time. It took two hours and we drew Mickey, Donald, Pooh and Goofy.

• I love this place!

Thanks! Sounds like it's definitely worth checking out. I was thinking, it's about the only example of "edutainment" there is at DCA (a concept I've always supported), and I'm sure I'll pick up something if I go. We'll check it out!

In my book it's a definate must do! I've learned to draw Goofy and Pooh, and I can't draw stick figures to start with.

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

I got dragged into this by three other people. I am one of those proverbial "can't draw a stick figure" types, and this is the last thing I would choose to do. That being said, I have to say that I really enjoyed myself. I just let myself go and was quite impressed by the results. I would do it again.
    Rick

• I'm Flying High

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    It's a cute show, but it pretty much just a live version of those cheap 'how to draw' books. It's not really meant to make you a better artist. But my friends and I always get a kick out of going there and drawing the most random stuff for fun. As an animation student and lover of Disney, I try to fill my paper with as many characters as I can just to...show off. *ashamed* Hehehe.
    Me too..I drew the little figures and stuffed animals and paintings around the room on the paper. I had taken some of the classes twice, so I drew the character, and had extra time.
    The daydream princess

• I love this place!

Quote Originally Posted by Rixter View Post
    I got dragged into this by three other people. I am one of those proverbial "can't draw a stick figure" types, and this is the last thing I would choose to do. That being said, I have to say that I really enjoyed myself. I just let myself go and was quite impressed by the results. I would do it again.
    Well Rixter, you've convinced me. And since I was sitting about 4 feet away from you when your avatar picture was taken, how can I not take your word for it?

• Knight that says Nee!!

My family and I enjoyed it. We drew Winnie the Pooh. IT is a very basic covering of blocking things out and drawing so if you have any drawing skills already or classes under the belt, you wont actually "learn" a lot, but the CMs are great and the experience was fun.

I agree about the "edu-tainment." I love this kind of stuff (why I love[ed] Epcot). I used to draw (badly) as a kid, and now I just plain stink (except I can draw Inspector Gadget quite well...that's it...for some odd reason).

Anyway, I participated in the Animation Academy at MGM and drew this Donald (picture is very low res as it was taken on my RAZR). I was so proud I hung it on my wall (I'm 26!...apparently my mom's fridge was too full .

I will be sure to stop by next time I'm at DCA, and I think it will be added to my "regular" list for MGM as well. It's fun, cost-efficient (hello, free!), and a nice respite for 10 minutes. Lots o' fun!

"When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Minion

I really enjoy it. If it is hot or I am tired, I make it a point to stop in and do the class. I am a horrid drawer, but amazingly, my pictures at DCA are really good. Go and have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast