• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Are the recent Fires effecting D-Land?

First off, just let me say that this question is not intended to be disrespectful to anyone fighting fires or effected in a direct personal way through loss of property, memories or worse.

Hi MCs....

Well it looks like out May trip next year is in jeapardy as the Transmission fund just emptied the D-fund....

I am not local. I am in Vancouver so please excuse my question if it is too simple or obvious.

What is with all the fires? Is this an annual thing? Is this the culmination of years of unkept forestry and forest ground buildup, is it vandelism, terrorism or global warming.

Is it going to get better?

Is there any ways that populated, I mean heavily populated areas could be one day effected?

What has the effect been on Disneyland? Other than a nightmare scenario of the trees on Tom Sawyer Island or Jungle Cruise catching a-fire, are there other dangers in the Anaheim area that could cause smoke or transportation problems.

Disney Road

Re: Are the recent Fires effecting D-Land?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny View Post
    First off, just let me say that this question is not intended to be disrespectful to anyone fighting fires or effected in a direct personal way through loss of property, memories or worse.

Hi MCs....

Well it looks like out May trip next year is in jeapardy as the Transmission fund just emptied the D-fund....

I am not local. I am in Vancouver so please excuse my question if it is too simple or obvious.

What is with all the fires? Is this an annual thing? Is this the culmination of years of unkept forestry and forest ground buildup, is it vandelism, terrorism or global warming.

Is it going to get better?

Is there any ways that populated, I mean heavily populated areas could be one day effected?

What has the effect been on Disneyland? Other than a nightmare scenario of the trees on Tom Sawyer Island or Jungle Cruise catching a-fire, are there other dangers in the Anaheim area that could cause smoke or transportation problems.

Fires in the LA area are typically brush fires not forest fire as there really isn't any forest around.

The two fires that I know about are the one in Griffith Park which is about 30 miles north of Disneyland. Griffith Park is right in the middle of Los Angeles, one of the most populated cities in the United States. Brush fires in the LA effect heavily populated areas every year. You have to remember that LA is basically a desert city. It's very dry there and when it does rains there the grasses grow very fast, then die off. So if you have a particularly rainy winter, you end up with lots of dry grass everywhere in the summer that is just waiting for some idiot to throw a cigarette out a window.

The other fire is on Catalina Island which is about 22 miles off the cost of San Pedro.

Neither fire should have an effect on Disneyland. Disneyland is surrounded by hotels and convention centers and other things of that nature. It isn't situated near any open ground that a brush fire could take root in, so it is unlikely to ever be threaten in that way.

Doug
    Last edited by AtomicAge; 05-13-2007 at 02:40 AM.
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

Most of southern California actually has a Mediterranean climate, which is characterized by dry Summers and wet Winters. And, each year, there is a brush-fire season as the vegetation that grows during the Winter starts to dry. Also, at the end of the Summer, the Santa Ana Winds blow, and the fires begin, again.

This year has seen an unusually dry Winter with few rainy days. And, global warming might be a factor in that relative lack of precipitation.

Global warming has also caused bark-beetle infestations in some forested areas of California, and some trees are unhealthy enough to burn more easily than they would normally. But, southern California is so urbanized that the mountains and some of the hillsides are usually the only places where there is a potential danger of fire. Anaheim's resort district lies well onto the valley or basin floor. So, AtomicAge is quite right that wildfires usually don't have much of an effect on Disneyland, itself, beyond occasionally poor air-quality.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 05-13-2007 at 08:17 AM.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Just on an additional note... In past years the area has hired Goats to eat the extra vegitation that has been dry so that way you have clearance and not a lot of brush buildup... This year however they didn't employ the Goats because they thought they were too expensive... I wish they would allow people to Adopt a Goat.... Every year you pay the expenses of one goat and that goat has a name tag on it that says that you pay for it... And of course make the donation tax deductible...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
    Just on an additional note... In past years the area has hired Goats to eat the extra vegitation that has been dry so that way you have clearance and not a lot of brush buildup... This year however they didn't employ the Goats because they thought they were too expensive... I wish they would allow people to Adopt a Goat.... Every year you pay the expenses of one goat and that goat has a name tag on it that says that you pay for it... And of course make the donation tax deductible...
    GOATS!!!! Thats awesome!!!! LOL
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

• Knight that says Nee!!

Goats are excellent "lawn mowers." The adoption idea is very good.

Looks like everyone has covered the questions I would only add that one effect on Disneyland and the DLR area from the fires could be added smoke in the air due to the fires. This depends on the direction of the prevailing wind however. The smoke could be blown away or it could settle and hang out in the L.A. basin.

To any of you So-CAL locals, has the smoke been a factor?

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I remember about a month ago a fire not near Disneyland but the smoke blew over the resort and everything was an odd color and the smell of smoke was strong. Someone here posted pictures of it. Maybe someone can find them and repost. Sorry I don't have the time to go hunting for them right now.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

All of you are correct. I just would like to elaborate a bit on some of them. LA is in fact the second largest city in America and it's population just recently hit the 4 million mark last year. That is LA itself and not the surrounding cities that make up LA County or Orange County. Combine the populations of LA and the greater LA area which includes LA, LAC, Orange County and the Inland Empire, and you have a population of roughly 15 million people.

Also, except for Antartica, a Mediterranean climate is found on every continent. The main thing is that it doesn't cover a big area. In Europe it would cover southern Europe from Greece to Italy, perhaps part of Spain. In Asia, it would be located in the Middle East. In Africa, it is in a part of South Africa. In South America, it would be in Chile. And I forget where it is in Australia, but they do in fact have a similar Mediterranean climate -- I just forget exactly where. And in North America, it is located in California.

Keep in mind that brush fires are a natural part of the California ecosystem and without them the native plants and species would die out. Brush fires have occurred naturally here for thousands of years. In fact, the Native Americans used to refer the Los Angeles Basin as "The Land of A Thousand Smokes". The problem is not the fires themselves; the problem is in the overpopulation in this area and people continuously moving next to and within the open areas that are naturally prone to fires.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

to answer disneyland part.
    One: Tarzan's treehouse is not a living tree, it's all man made. it be very hard to burn.

two: The Tom Sawyer island and jungle cruise is well care for and water. It may burn but not far. Both are no smoking area. Only human can start fire in disneyland.

In all you have your answer.

Not more to add.

the end
    Last edited by akfandisney; 05-13-2007 at 07:47 AM.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Quote Originally Posted by akfandisney View Post
    to answer disneyland part.
    One: Tarzan's treehouse is not a living tree, it's all man made. it be very hard to burn.

two: The Tom Sawyer island and jungle cruise is well care for and water. It may burn but not far. Both are no smoking area. Only human can start fire in disneyland.

In all you have your answer.

Not more to add.

the end
    Thank you very much. It struck me the other day that with all the fireworks and displays during Fantasmic, has there ever been a stray spark cause a fire... or a vandle on the train throwing matches out onto a grassy area.

Has there ever been a fire in a ride? Mechanical failure?

Disney Road

Thank you very much. It struck me the other day that with all the fireworks and displays during Fantasmic, has there ever been a stray spark cause a fire... or a vandle on the train throwing matches out onto a grassy area.

I believe during the 50th anniversary, late at night (after the park closed) there was some smoldering going on on the Matterhorn.....possibly a stray from the fireworks show?

About 2 months after POTC opened (1967) there was a fire. Several of the costumes were ruined.

• Minion

There have been a few fires from the fireworks. That is why they will not have the fireworks if the winds are to strong (even if you can't feel them in the park) (at least this is my understanding, I could be wrong)
    The fires haven't really had any affect on us down here, except near the OC coast and a bit inland, you could really smell the smoke when the wind changed from the Catalina fire.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

One or two low fly firework on the warehouse.

ones on toontown

Disneyland own fire Department and help from Anaheim Fire Department.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9