View Poll Results: Which POTC Changes do you dis-like more?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Politically Correct Changes

103 80.47%
  • The inclusion of the POTC movie characters

25 19.53%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Proud Narnian

Traveling between Narnia, Camelot, and The Midlands

Re: Which was worse - the Politically Correct POTC Updates or the Movie Updates?

The politically correct changes.

• Hillary scares me.

Re: Which was worse - the Politically Correct POTC Updates or the Movie Updates?

All they did when they made the PC changes was make is appear the women were chasing men because they had stolen food, rather than having the men chase the women trying to rape them.

Do I think it was stupid that Disney bowed to pressure from outside groups to make the changes? Yes. But these changes didn't alter the entire storyline or soil the moral that the ride was trying to convey. Now, with changes brought by the movie addition, at the end of the ride it makes it seem "cool" that the pirates killed, looted, and destroyed the town. Well who doesn't just adore Captain Jack Sparrow and everything he does?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I went on it they hadn't even changed the PC alterations to what they had originally been. So now we get both terrible additions!

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer my Pirates of the Caribbean suggesting the women got royally violated. And judging by the vote thus far, who doesn't?

Pirates murdering, looting, binge drinking, buying women, bruning down the town...that's fine. They want a woman??? Now that's gone too far!

The new update actually had good intentions. Adding to the story, not tearing out old stuff. Also it brought along enhanced effects all around. The early update was just a PR move to stop letters. If Disney bends to make a few vocal guests content for one ride, what stops them from having to refurb other attractions to make them more PC? This is why we get Pixar rides now, because they are safe. Movies do well means public approves of said characters and plot and will be safe to replicate in an attraction. I want my pirates lusty and my frontier filled with cowboys AND Indians. There were warring tribes, but nowadays it's almost looked upon as being Satanic if Disney was to add any negative or violent image of a Native American.

even tho i haven't been on the new Potc, i've seen videos of it. i thought it was pretty cool, but it wasnt really any better or worse than the other one in my opinion. And i think making it more pc is kinda stupid because it's PIRATES.

I don't like the political correctness or the movie in the attraction. I just want the "original" POTC brought back. I miss it.

Bring on the Indians!!! My husband has some Cherokee blood and he is all for this kind of stuff. What fun it would be!

• Minion

The PC changes were worse. I can't find any reason to complain about seeing Capt. Jack on POTC

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Your poll should have a choice for "neither one bothers me". Because that's how I feel.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

Well, lets put it this way. When I went to DL pre-movie additions, I would ride POTC 2 or 3 times a day. On my last trip, I went once. That was more than enough for me. Granted, I do not hate all of the additions from the movie, but some of it they screwed up royally (Like the music in the ship/fort scene. Ugh.)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Honestly, I like the "PC" changes. Some people may be comfortable laughing the pirates chasing the women off as just some silly antics or whatever, but not me.

I realize that in real life pirates were not nice people. But I prefer my theme park rides with fewer instances of rape.

The wench auction scene fills that quota for me. We all get a laugh at the pirates calling out for the redhead or the one pirate offering rum instead of gold, but honestly that scene is kind of repugnant. What do you think those women are being sold for?

I feel that the pirates chasing the food or the woman chasing the pirate really lightens up the mood after the whole sex slavery auction scene.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

• Hillary scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hamand View Post
    Honestly, I like the "PC" changes. Some people may be comfortable laughing the pirates chasing the women off as just some silly antics or whatever, but not me.

I realize that in real life pirates were not nice people. But I prefer my theme park rides with fewer instances of rape.

The wench auction scene fills that quota for me. We all get a laugh at the pirates calling out for the redhead or the one pirate offering rum instead of gold, but honestly that scene is kind of repugnant. What do you think those women are being sold for?

I feel that the pirates chasing the food or the woman chasing the pirate really lightens up the mood after the whole sex slavery auction scene.
    That's pretty much how I feel about the issue.

It's not the worst thing they could've done to the ride by taking out the scenes that implied rape (though I always did get a kick out of the fat woman chasing the pirate trying to rape him!). In fact after the PC changes I still get a kick at pointing out how stupid the scene looks now. We all know how it's supposed to be.

But with the movie additions the entire feel of the ride was altered quite a bit for me. I just don't personally find it as enjoyable as before.

Let's just hope Disney never caves to MADD or arson support groups. What on earth kind of morals is Disneyland trying to force feed to our children?!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaaron View Post
    But with the movie additions the entire feel of the ride was altered quite a bit for me. I just don't personally find it as enjoyable as before.
    Same here. I'm getting sick of the needless tampering with of classic Disney attractions - most of the changes (especially POTC's) do not improve upon the original. Except for the cannons. They're great.

• Banned User

the original storyline should be put back into place. if the movie characters are to be placed into a pirates themed attraction, why not build one and then put the movie characters in it

• Banned User

The PC changes.

I felt the attraction could've used more suggestions of rape if you ask me.

• Hillary scares me.

The movie additions did rape the ride...

• Animatronic

The '97 changes included figures from World of Motion which didn't quite fit. The worst of the '97 changes, aside from the food lusting pirates, was the grunting pirates at the end. All you saw was a butt and it was a pathetically lame way to end the ride. Previously you saw a captain rocking drunk on barels of powder. The movie changes removed that horrid aspect of the '97 changes, and for that, the movie changes end up winning by not having an end up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast