View Poll Results: Which POTC Changes do you dis-like more?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Politically Correct Changes

103 80.47%
  • The inclusion of the POTC movie characters

25 19.53%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Merry 2014!

Re: Which was worse - the Politically Correct POTC Updates or the Movie Updates?

I always wanted to give the grunting pirates Milk of Magnesia.

For me, the problem with the new additions is the realistic look of Jack among the cartoonish and goofy looking pirates.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Which was worse - the Politically Correct POTC Updates or the Movie Updates?

The PC changes did nothing to alter the storyline--merely changed the nature of one vignette (albeit, a change for the worse).
    The movie "enhancements" changed the storyline of POTC, eliminated key characters, and signature dialogue that defined the ride's identity for almost 40 years. Easy choice.

I hated that they made the "PC" changes and voted for them.
    I couldn't say if I like the movie changes since I haven't been on POTC since these chnages were made. I have only seen them on video and they didn't really seem to bad, but as I said, I haven't experienced them 1st hand.

• Minion

Just a quick correction...unless I am off here, the original chasing was I think 1) a pirate chasing a woman... 2) another pirate chasing another woman... 3) a chubby woman chasing a pirate. I think that's the set up and pay off if I remember correctly... when they changed it, they didn't change it to women chasing men... they just added food to each of the people being chased... Am I remembering this correctly? I hated that they changed it for a PC reason, but honestly, I think the joke still works.

I was at first taken aback when someone in this thread said they were all for them taking out references to rape, but I can understand that reaction. I suppose I like to "Disney" this up in my mind and I imagine them chasing the women for a kiss, and purchasing the women for a mate.

The movie additions did alter the story... and it works fine now.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    I suppose I like to "Disney" this up in my mind and I imagine them chasing the women for a kiss, and purchasing the women for a mate.
    Interestingly enough, in the original voice-work, they recorded pirates making "kissing" noises and laughing, saying "You be th' pride o' me heart, lovey--how 'bout a kiss fer ol' Bill, eh?" and other such sweet-talk for use in that scene! If they had ultimately used that G-rated dialogue, would it have been enough to offset the visuals? Maybe we wouldn't have had the PC changes at all? The mere suggestion of innocence (Buy a Bride, Take A Wench For A Bride) worked for the Auction scene...

I had a comment to this thread that was becoming narrative; so I struck it, preferring to simply say that I prefer the original POTC.

• Big Damn Hero

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    The PC changes did nothing to alter the storyline--merely changed the nature of one vignette (albeit, a change for the worse).
    The movie "enhancements" changed the storyline of POTC, eliminated key characters, and signature dialogue that defined the ride's identity for almost 40 years. Easy choice.

I going to go out on a limb here and say the "PC" updates were part marketing scam to get locals to Disneyland before it was "changed" and part CYA. If you think about it the Auction scene is way worse when it comes to being un-PC. If they were going to change the ride because they were getting presure by special intrests groups to get it changed wouldn't that be the first scene to get the boot? Not only are they implying that it is a sex slave auction but they are also demeaning large women by saying the pirates prefer the more attractive red head. Basically Disney wanted to update the ride. I would assume they were thinking about changing the chase scene ahead of time and knew people would be mad so they created this PC story in order to CYA. Plus leaking this story also got locals interested in riding it again because they would want to see it before it get's changed.

Of course this is just one conspiracy theorists idea. Stay tuned until next time when I examine the Kennedy Assassination and Walt's frozen head buried under the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Key characters eliminated? All that were eliminated was a cat and butt pirate and co. I wouldn't call these characters key. The other changes were just additions or recastings. The voice of Davey Jones in the caves was replaced with the Davey Jones from the film. The pirate captain firing upon the fort was replaced with the pirate captain from the film. The basic characters and synopsis of each scene hasn't changed.

And the original attraction didn't have much of a storyline, just like the current attraction. If you listened close enough, you could kinda infer they were looking for gold, just like now you can kinda infer they are looking for Jack. Most people just see an attraction of pirates attacking the town and looking for booty (both money and people) and that's still the same today.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjoejoeshabadoo View Post

If you think about it the Auction scene is way worse when it comes to being un-PC. If they were going to change the ride because they were getting presure by special intrests groups to get it changed wouldn't that be the first scene to get the boot? Not only are they implying that it is a sex slave auction but they are also demeaning large women by saying the pirates prefer the more attractive red head.
    The difference is that in the chase scene the women were unwilling, and in the auction the women seem to be wishing to be bought. The redhead smirks with her leg intentionally showing and the larger bride is smiling and showing herself off to the crowd. And as far as the fat joke, the pirates chasing women had that as well with the large woman chasing the pirates.

• A Pirate's life for me!

As in MOST things that have been changed due to PC, the PC ones of course. More for the reason than anything else.

Just sickening...

I'm not thrilled with the changes (only) due to the movie's popularity, but what they did, came out nice.

But I'd still prefer it to be like it was when I first saw it back in '68...

• Comin' at ya!

I guess I didn't mind the PC changes, because they aren't very noticeable in my opinion. Is the chasing scene and barrel scene the only things that were changed for PC? That's all i'm aware of.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

I hated the politically correct changes. Not only did the changes take out the heart of POTC but it made it horribly dull. I think these new changes aren't as extreme as the PC changes and I think it really adds to the ride instead of clearing the place out like the PC changes did. Plus I love Capt. Jack Sparrow. What girl doesnt?!

• Hillary scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisjafo View Post
    I hated the politically correct changes. Not only did the changes take out the heart of POTC but it made it horribly dull. I think these new changes aren't as extreme as the PC changes and I think it really adds to the ride instead of clearing the place out like the PC changes did. Plus I love Capt. Jack Sparrow. What girl doesnt?!

The heart of the ride was women getting raped by a drunken pirate?

• Big Damn Hero

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaaron View Post
    The heart of the ride was women getting raped by a drunken pirate?
    That's the heart of every ride. Winnie the Pooh is no different.

• Hillary scares me.

What bothers me is that people are using the term "politically correct" as a blanket statement for "things that are wrong with the world today."

Shall we compile a list of decidedly non-PC things and see if everyone lambasting PC changes agrees with those, too? (The depiction of Native Americans as savages burning down an innocent white settler's cabin immediately comes to mind).

Times change and Disney needs to adjust to this. The fact that pirates devalued women is pretty much covered with the auctioning off of the brides. The chasing scene, as amusing as I always found it and wish it was back, was somewhat redundant. Rape on a Disney ride is a privilege, not a right!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast