Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Helmsdad

Photo Pass Photographers

Last trip I decided to let the "Photo Pass Photographers" do all the photography so I left my camera behind on purpose. I just figured I'd buy the CD for $120.00 or whatever. But when I went to the web site I was shocked at how unprofessional the photos actually were. The quality of course was great but the person behind the camera(!)?

Do they actually train these guys? (and gals?) Are they actually photographers? (something tells me their not - the photos). Do they just pull someone off BTMRR and hand them a camera? (Nice cameras by the way). In their attempt to "center" us in the photo they cut off our feet and 1/2 of our bodies! (typical mistake of amatures). It seems like a waste of very expensive equipment.

In their attempt (my best guess) at getting in the Castle, Statue, Train Station etc., they got 30% sky at the top of the photo and again - cut off our legs and feet. What on earth could be the purpose of all that sky?

I couldn't be more disappointed. I went ahead and bought a couple of the photos anyway but that will be the last time I leave my camera behind. My 8 year old takes better pictures.

Oh yeah BTW, a note to fellow guests: When you see a DL photographer doing a family in front of the castle it is only proper courtesy to stand to the side until he is finished and not get in the way. He will take your photo for you (even with your own camera) if you simply wait in his short line. It is really not necessary to get into someone else's photo in order to secure your own. A little common decency goes a long way in these situations.

And when the photographer asks you politely to kindly step aside so he can take a good photo of a nice family please don't get all huffy and give him nasty looks and a bad attitute. Like I said he will be happy to take your picture also if you stand (or sit on your electric stroller thing) in his line. Most of the times the lines for photos are not that long and they do move fast and then people with nasty, mean looks will not be in your photos either. Thanks.

Did I just say that?

• no flash photography...

Re: Photo Pass Photographers

I'm sorry you had rude people in your photos, but you just said the CM pictures were amature like and not very good. In that case why would anyone want them to take their picture. I'm quite capable of taking my own pictures. Although, I have never gotten in the way of the DL CM picture takes.

• Defying gravity

Yeah, I agree, sometimes you get a good photographer, sometimes a bad one...mostly mediocre ones. I seriously doubt any of them have been trained...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sixwoofys View Post
    Last trip I decided to let the "Photo Pass Photographers" do all the photography so I left my camera behind on purpose. I just figured I'd buy the CD for $120.00 or whatever. But when I went to the web site I was shocked at how unprofessional the photos actually were. The quality of course was great but the person behind the camera(!)?

Do they actually train these guys? (and gals?) Are they actually photographers? (something tells me their not - the photos). Do they just pull someone off BTMRR and hand them a camera? (Nice cameras by the way). In their attempt to "center" us in the photo they cut off our feet and 1/2 of our bodies! (typical mistake of amatures). It seems like a waste of very expensive equipment.

In their attempt (my best guess) at getting in the Castle, Statue, Train Station etc., they got 30% sky at the top of the photo and again - cut off our legs and feet. What on earth could be the purpose of all that sky?

I couldn't be more disappointed. I went ahead and bought a couple of the photos anyway but that will be the last time I leave my camera behind. My 8 year old takes better pictures.
    As a friend to Photopass CM's, I have been informed that the training is rather superficial and there are no 'auditions' to see if the CM's have any aptitude for the task.

It also tends to attract CM's because there were (not sure about any more) full-time openings and the starting wage is a little over $10 - significantly greater than other LOB's.

Exclamation Re: Photo Pass Photographers

...The quality of course was great but the person behind the camera(!)?

...Do they actually train these guys? (and gals?)Do they just pull someone off BTMRR and hand them a camera?
    And when the photographer asks you politely to kindly step aside so he can take a good photo of a nice family please don't get all huffy and give him nasty looks and a bad attitute. Like I said he will be happy to take your picture also if you stand (or sit on your electric stroller thing) in his line.
    First you slam the CM's and say they have no idea how to take pics, but yet you want people to wait in their line to get a photo?

A little hypocritical IMO... sounds like you're mad someone was in your pic.
    -Wes

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    First you slam the CM's and say they have no idea how to take pics, but yet you want people to wait in their line to get a photo?

I have to admit, I was wondering this same thing.

Also, I don't know much about the world of Disney, but I have to think that the same corporation who teaches employees how to point correctly with their fingers, would spend just a little time when giving employees cameras that costs several thousand dollars...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I have to admit, I was wondering this same thing.

Also, I don't know much about the world of Disney, but I have to think that the same corporation who teaches employees how to point correctly with their fingers, would spend just a little time when giving employees cameras that costs several thousand dollars...
    They do spend a little time, too little.

And that training doesn't guarantee talent and attention and conscientiousness.

Photopass suffers from the same CM woes that other lines of business do.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    They do spend a little time, too little.

And that training doesn't guarantee talent and attention and conscientiousness.

Photopass suffers from the same CM woes that other lines of business do.

Well, I wasn't suggesting they have a program that will turn someone into the DLR Ansel Adams, but the OP stated "Do they actually train these guys?" and I am going out on a limb and saying, yah they do, but just like physicians, or any other field, some people are better than others.

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

We had one bad experience with a photo pass person but wasn't just the lack of quality but we had to practically beg him to take her picture. He was busy talking to a friend. By the time he took our photo we didn't get much. Notice Mickey either cut out completely or cut off. These are with our camera, we didn't bother with the ones he took with the Disney camera.

• Helmsdad

I apologize that I was not clearer in my original post. While it is true I was extremely dissappointed with the photos the photographer was very kind and was working VERY hard to get the rude people out of the photo. He had a line about 12 people deep and they were also huffing and puffing about the rude people. The rude people finally moved their little electric scooter things along with their selves and we finally got the shots. The Photo Pass Photographers have the BEST spot in the house for actually framing the pics - so in keeping with the point I was making.

I was merely questioning the training these people recieve. Like I said my 8 year old takes more professional photos.

The second point I was making had NOTHING to do with the ability of the photographer to frame the picture and take a quality photo. That was just me griping about some VERY rude guests (AP's I presume). (JK!).

Two issues. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I hope this clears the issue.

Did I just say that?

• Disneyland Addict

Last November when we went the pics the photopass photographers took weren't that great but they were polite and not too pushy like the kodak ones used to be. You would tell them no thank you and they wouldn't drop it sometimes. We just went to World of Disney in New York City a couple of weeks ago and the photopass photographer there was Fantastic. There is a Friendship Room with characters to have photos with. Fun!!

• Rock Star Minion

I take it these are digital photos?
    Which camera do they use?
    Do they provide a web site picture number or something?
    Are they limited in how many they can take of each party? If I were in charge, I'd probably take three, each at a different zoom.

Now, if the CMs are not being very CM-y, well, that is a resort-wide issue. Not enough quality members of the community willing to work at Disneyland. Working elsewhere for more money or for less headache. Please contact Ed Grier, your ghost host, for your ideas on how to solve this issue.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Seemed pretty clear the OP does not want people standing so close they are in the picture they are getting taken. I have noticed this also, people rather be rud and pushy.

I have not used the DL photogs all that much myself but I had some bad ones at WDW. For example, one of them zoomed in so close to my face you could not see ANY of the castle behind me lol. Ya, it was a great shot of my face, but I wanted my face *and* the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by FoundMyHappyPlace View Post
    We had one bad experience with a photo pass person but wasn't just the lack of quality but we had to practically beg him to take her picture. He was busy talking to a friend. By the time he took our photo we didn't get much. Notice Mickey either cut out completely or cut off. These are with our camera, we didn't bother with the ones he took with the Disney camera.

I am sorry you are disappointed in your pictures but it looks like to me the CM did a decent job. You loose a bit of Mickey's arm in the first pictures but your family looks great and centered in front of the 50th. Rather loose Mickey's arm then your daughters foot. And the 2nd shot is a close up with enough of the background to make a nice family memento. The two shots together probably look nice in an album. Hope you had a good trip.

• Helmsdad

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I take it these are digital photos?
    Which camera do they use?
    Do they provide a web site picture number or something?
    Are they limited in how many they can take of each party? If I were in charge, I'd probably take three, each at a different zoom.

Now, if the CMs are not being very CM-y, well, that is a resort-wide issue. Not enough quality members of the community willing to work at Disneyland. Working elsewhere for more money or for less headache. Please contact Ed Grier, your ghost host, for your ideas on how to solve this issue.
    Again the CM was VERY nice, just not a very good photographer - at all. Neither was the one at the entrance, but again still very polite. They do charge $120.00 or so for the CD ROM so.....

Why don't they JUST PAY THESE POOR FOLKS MORE MONEY!

They could train them better and make them LIFE LONG CM's at the same time!

The way Disney has it now with such a high turnover rate it's no wonder the CM's just don't see it as a long term position. Someting about that seems so very sad to me.

Did I just say that?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast