View Poll Results: Should Disney give up on the Tomorrowland concept?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 9.40%
  • No

128 85.91%
  • I don't vote in polls... SO THERE!

7 4.70%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Is it time to give up on the Tomorrowland concept?

Ever since Disneyland opened Tomorrowland has been one of Walt Disney Imagineerings biggest challenges because of the difficult task of keeping Tomorrowland relevant to "The Future".

Tomorrowland has gone thru 3 major overhauls. Once in 1958-1959, again in 1967, and then again in 1998. Yet, it always seems dated before very much time has passed.

Maybe, Disney should reconsider the whole "Tomorrowland" concept, and come up with a new idea for the area that is currenetly being used for the Land Of Tomorrow.

What do you think?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• DL Nerd

Re: Is it time to give up on the Tomorrowland concept?

No I think the concept is good... but they need to do much more with it.....

Especially with the technology available these days....

But I love Tomorrowland...and the Idea behind it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Ever since Disneyland opened Tomorrowland has been one of Walt Disney Imagineerings biggest challenges because of the difficult task of keeping Tomorrowland relevant to "The Future".

Tomorrowland has gone thru 3 major overhauls. Once in 1958-1959, again in 1967, and then again in 1998. Yet, it always seems dated before very much time has passed.

Maybe, Disney should reconsider the whole "Tomorrowland" concept, and come up with a new idea for the area that is currenetly being used for the Land Of Tomorrow.

What do you think?
    Not necessarily but I think they need to focus a bit further out and make the 'rides' into richer educational experiences rather than thrill ones which are almost inevitably not really 'tomorrow' things so much as same-old thing with a technology veneer or theme.

For example, with the modern presentation technologies and the information available now that wasn't yet discovered years ago, they could have a tour of the solar system or tour of the galaxy/universe that was immersive and informative. Might be decent replacement for HISTA or Innoventions theatres.

Whether that will satisfy the attention spans of todays public is an open question.

And they need to get away to some degree from the hugely expensive and rigid rides that soak up development budgets, take forever to get through their political and bureaucratic minefield, and can't be updated cost-effectively.

Any attraction that needs to fit into the concept of tomorrow needs to be flexible as that concept i- and the technologies that support it - are constantly evolving in today's world.

I've never understood the reason this topic even comes up in conversation.

A whole host of stories use themes of progress and advancement, so science fiction, if it's done well, can be timeless.

Tomorrowland has never been restricted to the science-factual. In fact, imaginary elements have always been more in keeping with the founding idea for The Magic Kingdom, as a whole.

• Defying gravity

I just can't see DL existing without one of the original lands. It just wouldn't be the same. I mean, has Disney ever just completely gotten rid of an already built land?!

20,000 Leagues under the Sea, for instance, was dedicated to the fictitious energy source that Captain Nemo harnessed in order to power his killer submarine. But, once humanity was able to split the atom, the Victorian novel did not lose any of its vitality. In fact, the story became even more relevant as a cautionary tale.

From the Earth to the Moon is interesting from a modern perspective because its notions about using gunpowder in a cannon to escape the Earth's gravity are quaint and whimsical to us.

The story unintentionally has, as Walt Disney would say, plausible impossibilities.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 05-14-2007 at 09:31 AM.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Personally, the TL refurb in the 90's produced a bleak look into the very-near future. A return to a more hopeful, optimistic view is needed here, in my opinion.

As prag stated, Tomorrowland is a showcase for Futuristic Concepts and Themes, not our literal Future, or "restricted to the science-factual". In my opinion, the TL of today (weird concept) is entirely too "possible".

I would like to see a New Tomorrowland designed NOT around what our ideas the Future will be like, but designed around what we want it to be like.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The answer is NO. It's not time to give up on this concept. Look at Florida as a reason why we shouldn't. That's the path to the darkside. Too many toon based adventures.

The world of Tomorrow should be something planted more so in reality.

Bring back the adventures that explore science fact and science fiction. Bring back the rides that push us to think about the world around us.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Tomorrowland as a concept should not be given up on. WDW actually had a great concept (That sadly, has mostly been abandoned) about 11 years ago on their last Tommorowland re-do. It was what I'd call a "fantasy future city" theme. The idea was that Tommorowland was a city in the future, complete with parking signs (Don't park your speeder in the red zone) and such. It took the area from being a "look this is the reality of the future" into more of a "here is a fantasy of what the future might be like". Alien Encounter fit right in as it was presented in the local Exhibition Hall as a great new marvel of engineering. "Come see what your future has in store" was the speil. I really thought it plussed Tommorowland a lot. I guess that I was in the minority as the future-city overlay has almost totally been homoginized away...
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    I guess that I was in the minority as the future-city overlay has almost totally been homoginized away...
    I don't think you're in the minority. W.D.I. and Parks & Resorts are just being run by people who don't know what they're doing.

Building an attraction is not a very cost-effective way to promote character merchandise. And, the artistic integrity and creative legitimacy of The Magic Kingdoms is being sacrificed whenever such an attraction fails to support the overall show.

Nope.

I believe Disneyland needs to have one area dedicated to looking ahead to what progress brings us.

As soon as we decide we don't need it, we're basically saying "tomorrow isn't relevant any more; I'm perfectly content with the way things are right now."

Tomorrowland should continually be re-done to project a vision of the future, as had always been intended.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• ...and sometimes why.

The second street to the right all the way till morning blvd.

No. That is the last thing I want to see happen... well one of the last things. Tomorrowland brings us a great big beautiful tomorrow today.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I just can't see DL existing without one of the original lands. It just wouldn't be the same. I mean, has Disney ever just completely gotten rid of an already built land?!
    Obviously, Disney would never just get "rid of" TL: it's a lot of real estate and it's home to their most popular ride with the general public. But yes, there is a precedent for a name change to match a new conceptual spin, in "Bear Country" becoming "Critter Country."

haven't we all noticed that tomorrowland isn't devoted to the future anymore. it's turned into more of a galactic era i guess.
    pshhh i guess

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast