Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

Rechristening Ceremony Report

The ceremony ran a bit later than initially planned and news crews on hand had 2 shootings to make while at the ceremony. The first part of the ceremony was what was open to the cast members, with speeches and an ď8-gun saluteĒ minus one launching off the rechristening. Garnett, one of the Ambassadors, Ed Grier, Tony Baxter, and John Morgan Jr. all took their turn at the stand. Garnett and Ed were much more ďreading off the page speakersĒ while Tony and John were speaking from the heart. There were a few problems, such as not all the guns for the salute going off and Ed quoting that Tony Baxter had been on the opening crew for the original Subs, which he claimed not to once he started to speak. The ceremony ended with the unveiling of the countdown sign and fireworks going off from the top of the new show building. I was fortunate to have my phone, but I forgot my camera at home. I have a few pictures to share below.

The second part of the rechristening was for the media and not so open to cast members unless you are on the opening crew for Nemo. All I managed to see of that was Ed and John having some jars of liquid that they poured into the lagoon in front of one of the subs while the media could get the shot of another in the background and a few close up shots.

Here are some low quality pictures of the sub rechristening ceremony yesterday morning. The first picture here is of Tony Baxter announcing the new countdown to opening sign they released with Ed Grier and Donald unveiling the sign on a rock, versus the pole itís sitting on in other shots Iíve seen.

This is another one of those sub wall down photos, but the waterfalls are operating here. Which brings me to ask 2 questions to MC that makes it seem that the rechristening ceremony had effects operation not in operation later in the day and were they turned off? Well the waterfalls seem to be an apparent answer to yes, but more so Iím wondering about the Seagulls. As soon as those fireworks launched off and the ceremony completed yesterday those seagulls were being vocal and it was great to see working. Iím just wondering if they continue to do so now.

And they donít continuously go off saying mine. The timer in-between seems to vary a bit as well as the amount and order in which of the 3 talks first also varies. Itís much less annoying than I had though having to listen to for 4 hours in line would have been. I think I actually stood by for a good half hour to enjoy just watching them. And going back to the waterfalls, while they were running every few minutes it seemed like a surge of water would be coming down. While hoses were out of sight I'm not so sure it's working quite right yet.

• Cast Member

Re: Rechristening Ceremony Report

I'll curb my enthusiasm for all this until the attraction is officially open, or at least open for CM previews.

But as for the water being poured, just to chime it, the water is actually from Australia.

A sort of nod to Walt when he would import a little bit of water from wherever something was from, such as the Rivers of America or the Jungle Cruise.

Bye.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Thank you so much for reporting on this for those of us who could not be there. I was hoping a CM would. What I saw on the news was very short and I was hoping for more coverage.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I'll curb my enthusiasm for all this until the attraction is officially open, or at least open for CM previews.

But as for the water being poured, just to chime it, the water is actually from Australia.

A sort of nod to Walt when he would import a little bit of water from wherever something was from, such as the Rivers of America or the Jungle Cruise.

Bye.
    They also had kids pour water from each of the "7 seas" into IASW when it opened.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeek View Post
    There were a few problems, such as not all the guns for the salute going off and Ed quoting that Tony Baxter had been on the opening crew for the original Subs, which he claimed not to once he started to speak.
    Opening crew for the subs? Almost 48 years ago? How old does Ed believe Tony to be? Yeah, he's not a young pup anymore. But geez!

If Ed is going to continue making these personal appearances, he really needs to check his facts before opening his mouth. This isn't the first gaffe, nor likely to be the last. He's President of the Disneyland Resort. No excuse for goofs of this nature.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Beer is good beer.

Thanks for the report.
    M A S E C A !

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    If Ed is going to continue making these personal appearances, he really needs to check his facts before opening his mouth. This isn't the first gaffe, nor likely to be the last. He's President of the Disneyland Resort. No excuse for goofs of this nature.
    He is human, he is allowed to make mistakes. He may not have done any of the research himself either for that matter. So someone else may have given him misinformation.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• A New Kind Of Villain

From what I heard 8 fireworks were supposed to go off but for some reason, only 7 launched. They had a little mishap.

As for the seagulls, right now they're moving as if they're speaking, but no sound comes out except for the bell ringing on the buoy.

Here's a video of the Seagulls I took yesterday:

[GOOGLEVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4283797807738994256&hl=en[/GOOGLEVIDEO]
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Orcatime View Post
    He is human, he is allowed to make mistakes. He may not have done any of the research himself either for that matter. So someone else may have given him misinformation.
    The error in question was a matter of common sense and just a little thought.

JUs he just read aloud whatever is given him with thinking about it ? Not the sign of a thoughtful executive, or at least that he didn't tale the activity very seriously.

•   
    • Prefect

Blog Entries

Thanks so much for the report & pics. Phone pics are better than none at all!
    <o>

Was there any warning for this ceremony? Was is just a surprize or did the audiance know it was going to happen?

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    The error in question was a matter of common sense and just a little thought.

JUs he just read aloud whatever is given him with thinking about it ? Not the sign of a thoughtful executive, or at least that he didn't tale the activity very seriously.
    I know I sound like i'm defending him a lot, it's just that he sounds (on here anyways) like myboss at the hotel I work at. The man has raised the bottom line quite well, but he couldn't make a phone reservation to save his soul!

Ed might be a major plus for the park but he might just not be able to ...show it like Matt could and did. I'm just advising to give the man a break. To not start trashing him until the start of July IF there are significant problems with the park.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• DCA lover

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Opening crew for the subs? Almost 48 years ago? How old does Ed believe Tony to be? Yeah, he's not a young pup anymore. But geez!

Hehe, no different Bush claiming the Queen of England was around for the founding of the US

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jawnjarvis View Post
    Was there any warning for this ceremony? Was is just a surprize or did the audiance know it was going to happen?
    There was news about 4-5 days ahead of time on the internal websites that it was going to be happening. It may have been in the roll call information for select areas of the resort, but if you are a cast member and interested in seeing it, Cast TV should start running the ceremony on Friday. There was probably about 100-200 people in attendance. I got there around 15 minutes before the ceremony and got a front row spot.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Hehe, no different Bush claiming the Queen of England was around for the founding of the US
    If Ed is no smarter than W, then DL is screwed.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast