Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

How Much of Pirate's Lair Is Going to Be Used in the "At World's End" Premiere?

How much of Pirate's Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island is going to be used in the "At World's End" premiere?

I'm almost rooting for the third film to fail because I don't want to see Disney proceed with plans for the second phase of the Tom Sawyer's Island bastardization.

• Fighter Pilot

Re: How Much of Pirate's Lair Is Going to Be Used in the "At World's End" Premiere?

I read the detail on whats been changed on the island, and I was so against this, but reading everything, I'm actually a tad excited....but who knows if they'll use anything part of the island since there is a screen thats up infront of it where you can't see

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: How Much of Pirate's Lair Is Going to Be Used in the "At World's End" Premiere?

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    How much of Pirate's Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island is going to be used in the "At World's End" premiere?

I'm almost rooting for the third film to fail because I don't want to see Disney proceed with plans for the second phase of the Tom Sawyer's Island attraction.
    What's the difference really? Phase 1...Phase 2...TSI is gone. It will exist in name only, and how long will even THAT token reference last? Sorry to say, that in my opinion, the "second phase" is just rubber-stamping the disregard for coherent theming that has already swept over the Island.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post

I'm almost rooting for the third film to fail because I don't want to see Disney proceed with plans for the second phase of the Tom Sawyer's Island bastardization.
    How much will be used for a relatively few hours of a private party?

By fail, do you mean only a paltry $400 million?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• I'm not really here

I'm reserving judgement on the island until I can see it. From the sound of things though, it has me excited as well. I think that the changes are fine and Pirates are an incredibly popular thing now. It isn't a mere passing fancy I don't think. It is an interest that has always been around, just shoved right to the front the past years because of the movie, but always there nonetheless.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Near enough to disneyland to love the fireworks...

Now I'm really not trying to start an argument here, or be mean in any way, but I think we should wait until we can go over there before passing judgement on it. There is still going to be preservative Tom and Huck elements of the attraction, why don't we wait for the first chatters to come back with an in-depth TR before thinking it an awful overlay.

Also, it seems that the celebrities are going to get to preview some of the attractions on the island a week early with the bridge going over there. Just like last year when they got to go on pirates before it officially re-opened.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    How much will be used for a relatively few hours of a private party?

By fail, do you mean only a paltry $400 million?
    By fail, I mean do business that is disappointing enough for Disney to think twice about running Pirates of the Caribbean into the ground with a dozen films, as well as with buccaneers in every corner of Disneyland.

I'm sure the film will do well. I already have two complimentary tickets, myself, through the Albertson's/Coca-Cola/Kellogg's/Unilever promotion.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by kidpirate View Post
    Now I'm really not trying to start an argument here, or be mean in any way, but I think we should wait until we can go over there before passing judgement on it. There is still going to be preservative Tom and Huck elements of the attraction, why don't we wait for the first chatters to come back with an in-depth TR before thinking it an awful overlay.
    (BOLD mine) It is not an issue about the quality of these "enhancements"--I'm sure they will be impressive. What is being contested is the disregard of theme that has allowed their presence on the Island.
    Trying to force 17th Century Pirates from NOS on a 19th century American River Island in Frontierland? It crosses thematic borders, as well as Land borders (at least according to DL Maps). Some don't care for the precedents these changes set.

I don't have a problem at all with the new direction of the island. Frankly the whole Tom and Huck theme, as much as I liked it, was getting VERY long in the tooth. Most kids didn't even understand the reference.

If the island is going to be made fun and relevant again, I'm all for it.

And Pirates on the Spanish Main don't have that much to do with New Orleans either...but there they are.

Doug
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

• Knight that says Nee!!

I am torn on the issue.

I know my kids, my son in particular will be thrilled about this. At age 4 he doesn't care about Tom or Huck be he sure does like pirate adventures.

I agree with Swab though, this change is a real slap in the face to the themeing of the area.

I also think its a continuation of a trend that started a while ago. Lots of attractions in DL used to have a literary source. Swiss Family Tree House, Tom Sawyers Island, the classic fairie tales, and such. True that in many cases Disney made movies from those stories but the source was first and foremost a literary work, quite often a classic one.

Now it seems that Disney would rather get rid of that stuff and use their own movies as the source. Tarzans tree house (not the literary Tarzan of ERB but THEIR Tarzan), Pirates over Twain's characters. Even if the changes are jaw dropping amazing, it will still be a bit sad.

Near enough to disneyland to love the fireworks...

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    (BOLD mine) It is not an issue about the quality of these "enhancements"--I'm sure they will be impressive. What is being contested is the disregard of theme that has allowed their presence on the Island.
    Trying to force 17th Century Pirates from NOS on a 19th century American River Island in Frontierland? It crosses thematic borders, as well as Land borders (at least according to DL Maps). Some don't care for the precedents these changes set.
    Give disney a chance to explain it away. They're good at that. You know that there's definitely going to be script and show elements that... help with the major thematic flaws.

• Knight that says Nee!!

"Explain it away"?? Wow...just wow.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicAge View Post
    I don't have a problem at all with the new direction of the island. Frankly the whole Tom and Huck theme, as much as I liked it, was getting VERY long in the tooth. Most kids didn't even understand the reference.

If the island is going to be made fun and relevant again, I'm all for it.

And Pirates on the Spanish Main don't have that much to do with New Orleans either...but there they are.

Doug
    New Orleans was a Pirate Haven and Black Market Capital for Pirated Goods (hence the MANY Lafitte references). The "establishment" of Barataria (a pirate state) was established at New Orleans after the Louisiana Purchase by the Lafitte Brothers). NOS is where pirates belong, if anywhere.

• I'm not really here

I think it fits though. Pirates were a vital part of the history of New Orleans and that whole area. It makes sense to include them. That's why the ride was put there by Disney in the first place. This is just taking a very obviously successful ride and plussing the attraction itself out into an otherwise rather dead part of the park that in all honestly needed a lot of love and attention. It's plussing on a scale we haven't really seen before. Granted, the impetus is a wildly successful movie franchise, but that shouldn't really matter as we are getting new things to see and do that fit. Though there have been instances of it. Jedi Training academy for instance. Star Tours is a very successful ride and the latest trilogy did pretty dang good in theaters, so they added something of that universe into Disneyland as an addition to the attraction. It altered the feel and atmosphere of things a bit.

TSI is part of the Rivers of America. Well, the Mississippi is one of America's rivers and there was much piracy in that area, so the themes still fit together. Having the Mark Twain cruising the river will still tie it in to Frontierland as well. Honestly, there is not a lot of the ROA/TSI that you can see from Frontierland. The dock for the ships blocks the view as do a lot of trees. However, from NOS you can see a lot of the island and river as it is an unobstructed view. No one seemed to mind the clash of themes (Mark Twain and the Columbia) sailing around the island before.

The additions and changes should serve to spark much renewed interest in the island which will more than likely take some of the load off of Pirates, HM and Splash so that ride lines won't be quite so bad. As it was, I rarely saw a full raft load ever cross the river to the island. That should change now.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast