Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disneyland raises prices this Monday, One Park Admission to be $56

For discussion of the following news....

http://ocregister.com/ocr/2005/06/18...cle_565021.php

Gas prices are climbing, house prices are soaring and Disney theme-park prices are keeping pace.

The regular adult admission ticket jumps to $56 on Monday, and the price for children 3-9 goes to $46. Each price reflects a $3 increase, and it's the second time this year Disney has raised prices for Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure.

The price will be $9 higher than 2003, a 19 percent spike. Gasoline over that same period has risen 37 percent, from an average of $1.70 a gallon to $2.33 a gallon.

Disney's admission price includes nearly all attractions and shows. Parking is an additional $9. Annual pass prices will remain the same, ranging from $99 to $329.

Theme parks typically raise prices in response to consumer demand. Disney expects large crowds this summer after extensive marketing of its 50th-anniversary celebration for Disneyland.

"We believe our pricing reflects the tremendous value our guests experience at the Disneyland Resort, where they can enjoy up to 16 hours of world-class entertainment and fun," said Disney spokesman Bob Tucker.

Norma Rimke, 68, of Orange enjoys Disneyland but now wonders if she can afford it. She cares full-time for three grandchildren ages 7 to 16 and usually takes them to Disneyland once a year. "It's unreal," Rimke said upon learning of the increase. "For people on a fixed income, that's too difficult. They're basically pricing us out."
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 06-18-2005 at 06:56 AM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

Isn't parking 10$ now? Not that I know anymore cuz I finally added parking to my AP, but I coulda swore it was up to 10$ now.

• Minion

Yes it is $10 now, its been like that for a while actually. Tsk tsk tsk, someone didn't do their homework at the Register.

• Former CM

Here's a reminder for all of you with kids - get the parking pass on your kid's pass, so that you don't have to worry about paying for parking if only one parent take him, or if he goes with a friend's family...

• Disney fans for life!

I like the way you think...

• insufferable know-it-all

I read that article this morning... they could *at least* have made admission $55, since they didn't go with $50.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

I can't believe they have raised the price again this year. For those of us who are not AP holders 56 for adults and 46 for kids is pretty steep. If the prices keep going up like this there will be a lot of families who won't be able to afford to go, and that is sad.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I read that article this morning... they could *at least* have made admission $55, since they didn't go with $50.
    if you tempt them to do that they'll make it $71.5 :P

( We must be group buying walt disney world a birthday present for its 50th celebration )

/ps I don't blame them for realizing how much more they could pinch off of the 50th summer crowds BUT it just better go to good things like budget approvals for Ouimet's new projects and excellent park operations and not a fatter paycheck. I think it might also kind of be a message saying "stop making us force you, buy a parkhopper pass already, and go walk around dca for an hour at least"

•   
    • Minion

I heard a euphamism recently that most certainly applies...

This raise in pricing is like the dog that licks itself...

He does it cus he can...
    Check out my other blog:

• FastPass n00b

I'm very surprised they are keeping the AP prices the same. It just makes getting an AP even more attractive, especially if you spend the night at one of the hotels. I've already been turned off by the previous price, I was in Downtown Disney last week and wanted to enter the park SO badly, but I wasn't going to pay $53 to do it. Considering the sheer volume of people in SoCal who have $600,000 houses, $40,000 trucks/SUVs that get 13 MPG in this gas market, and pay $10 to go see a movie, this will not deter many people living here to go. People who cannot afford to jeopardize their financial future like grandmothers and conservative people will definitely be detered, but there will still be millions of people living here who are already in debt to their eyeballs and already sacrificed their financial future that just won't care about $56 per person.

What's truly sad is that the reason for this price hike is essentially Disneyland's returning to how it was operated 10 years ago. So they want us to pay more for a little less than we were getting a decade ago...that just doesn't make sense. Back in 1994, there were way more rides, attractions and entertainment and the price was something like $30-something. And now they want us to pay through the nose to get that same quality today, after they've put the park through hell for 10 years. This is not how Walt would've run the park at all, this is (for lack of a better term) disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Michey
    I can't believe they have raised the price again this year. For those of us who are not AP holders 56 for adults and 46 for kids is pretty steep. If the prices keep going up like this there will be a lot of families who won't be able to afford to go, and that is sad.
    I agree, I have a family of 5 and we come from NOCAL, so by the time whole trip is over my wallet's empty. 56 for 4 of us and 46 for the last 1 - whoa hold on there thats $270.00 for one day. Never mind hotel, food, gas for the car, whatever. Souvewhats ... I'm broke. Sorry kids. (Good thing we got AP's this year.)

• Shubisha

This doesn't effect their multi-day passports fortunately. A family on vacation for a multiple day visit shouldn't be effected. Thank goodness they didn't raise blockout pass prices :P Surprised they didn't.

• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

I dunno, I was about to have this debate with my friends. Here's a listing of most of the local parks based on general admission prices.

Disneyland: 56 + 10 Parking = 66$
    Universal: 53 + 10 Parking = 63$
    SeaWorld: 50.95 + 8 Parking = $58.95
    (Not sure what seaworld's parking is, so I used whatever the lowest parking I found of the other parks were)
    Six Flags: 47.99 + 9 Parking = $56.99
    Knotts: 45 + 9 Parking = 54$
    Legoland: 44.95 + 8 Parking = $52.95
    Wild Animal Park: 28.50 + 8$ Parking = $36.50
    San Diego Zoo: $32 (I'm pretty sure parking is free here)

Honestly to me the difference between most of these parks are marginal. For a full day of fun I'd still say disneyland is a steal. 1 person can easily get in and out of Disneyland under 100$ with two meals in the park.

The only thing I guess people can complain about is how most of the other parks offer discounts, and disneyland rarely offers decent discounts these days. Hmmm, I wonder why that is? Could it be that attendance is down in all the other parks, and slashing prices is all they can think to bring it up?

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by mkm1998
    I dunno, I was about to have this debate with my friends. Here's a listing of most of the local parks based on general admission prices.

Disneyland: 56 + 10 Parking = 66$
    Universal: 53 + 10 Parking = 63$
    SeaWorld: 50.95 + 8 Parking = $58.95
    (Not sure what seaworld's parking is, so I used whatever the lowest parking I found of the other parks were)
    Six Flags: 47.99 + 9 Parking = $56.99
    Knotts: 45 + 9 Parking = 54$
    Legoland: 44.95 + 8 Parking = $52.95
    Wild Animal Park: 28.50 + 8$ Parking = $36.50
    San Diego Zoo: $32 (I'm pretty sure parking is free here)

Honestly to me the difference between most of these parks are marginal. For a full day of fun I'd still say disneyland is a steal. 1 person can easily get in and out of Disneyland under 100$ with two meals in the park.

The only thing I guess people can complain about is how most of the other parks offer discounts, and disneyland rarely offers decent discounts these days. Hmmm, I wonder why that is? Could it be that attendance is down in all the other parks, and slashing prices is all they can think to bring it up?
    Yes, but that's all in relative terms. I agree, Disneyland is a great deal compared to the other parks, but they are overpriced too. When talking in absolute terms, $66 is a lot of money for one person to walk through a gate and $100 is a lot of money to spend for a day of entertainment.

I can definitely see your point though, if you want to go to a theme park these days, no matter which park you choose your wallet is going to be a whole lot easier to carry in the park now. You know, it's no wonder my entertainment nowadays is Netflix and the occassional eating out. Theme parks, movies, ball games, concerts...everything is so expensive now. I just simply can't afford entertainment anymore.

Do you guys notice that trend too or am I too sensitive to price hikes?

• Shubisha

Universal Studios - buy one day get the rest of the year free(automatic AP)

Magic Mountain - Always running a 'special' that you can either buy a ticket for $25 or buy one get one free(ie you and your friend go for the price of one person)

Knott's - Same Deal. I think it's around $25, maybe a $21?

Advertised they're the same, but there's a very very very clear difference to socal residents who go there. Half the cost.

As far as reduced attendance forcing them to slash out of desperation, in Universal's case yeah, knott's too probably. But I doubt magic mountain.
    (point in case. http://www.sixflags.com/parks/magicmountain/index.asp Hey look! Screamin deals! Pick up a ticket at ralphs and it's only $24.99! Hurry this couldn't possibly last long!! :P [this one actually includes a free child admission on top of that, so there's actually a unique deal on this one heh])
    Last edited by almandot; 06-18-2005 at 09:19 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast