• It's all about Theme!

Lincoln [The Attraction] Historical significance to Walt's Childhood?

Ties have been made in various books that the ideas for Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln came partially from Walt's Childhood when he dressed up as President Lincoln and performed the Gettysburg Address for the entire school. This was also recognized as the beginning of Walt's acting career. Is it possible that Mr. Lincoln could be salvaged as part of Walt's personal history or in any other way be preserved because of possible historical significance?
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Fighter Pilot

Re: Lincoln [The Attraction] Historical significance to Walt's Childhood?

I just pretty much know the orginal version was for the NY Worldsfair, then it was torn down but a second version was built at DL and Walt like you said was intrested in Abes life and did all that elementary stuff as a kid and that's pretty much it really

• Problem Child/Rocker

I WANT IT BACK! get rid of that stupid 50th show. the park's almost 52 now anyway! maybe theyre enhancing it and that's what the wait is. i hope so...
    We want to appeal to everyone and get rich quick. We want to be millionaires. I've got this plan to buy Tasmania you see...-Angus Young

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Is it possible that Mr. Lincoln could be salvaged as part of Walt's personal history or in any other way be preserved because of possible historical significance?
    Well...at one time "The Walt Disney Story featuring Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln" actually did make that connection with a very small mention in the pre-show display area. Also...sometimes the Cast Member would mention it as part of their pre-show spiel.

I can't imagine any more needed "historical significance" that just being Abraham Lincoln, personally. I mean...it's Abraham Lincoln, fer cryin' out loud!

Certainly Walt thought enough of the subject and the man, to be worthy of an attraction that was "as valid for our time, as it was for his." And I can't imagine Lincoln has somehow mystically become less important or relevant than he was before.

If "Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln" doesn't come back...it will be just another example of the slow "devolution" from Walt's original educational slant (while being entertaining or inspirational) that was one of Disneyland's greatest attributes...and which separated it and put it on another higher level from most of the other amusement parks and competition.

"Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln" reflected more on Walt's overall patriotism and love for patriotic pomp...than that of him portraying Lincoln as a youngster, IMHO. Though I'm sure that was part of it...as was the State of Illinois' ("Land Of Lincoln") financing and sponsoring of the show for the '64 New York World's Fair. And later Lincoln Savings & Loan sponsoring it at Disneyland.

I guess George "talk up a storm with those wooden teeth" Washington just didn't have the deep-pocket backers that 'ol Abe did!

Walt wasn't ashamed of patriotic pomp and pageantry, even if it might come off seeming a bit contrived or corny. As he loved to say..."I'm Red, White and Blue all over!"

Would do a lot of people a lot of good to see the original version, IMHO.

Might also point out that as late as 1973...Disneyland thought enough of the importance of some of these educational and inspirational experiences...to actually expand upon the theme at Disneyland...as they already had at Walt Disney World. From the Opus Archives:

Think anyone at the company would still consider such a thing today? Ha. Not unless it was based on some smash time-travel money-making movie or something.

Preferably staring a pirate.

Last edited by Opus1guy; 05-16-2007 at 07:03 PM.

• The one, the only...

I would love to see Walt's original vision for Lincoln return. I loved the original pre-show that gave a history of Lincoln life in his own words. I also feel that the original speech that Lincoln made should return. It was far more inspiring than the other speech that was done in the later years.

What needs to happen to bring back Lincoln. The Animatronic HAS to be the most cutting edge AA Disney has ever produced. I want to see Lincoln enter the room, sit down. Get up to speak and walk around while he is doing it. I want to feel like tears are going to appear on his face. I want a full range of expressions on his face. I want sweat appearing on his brow. I want it so real you would swear it was a real person.

The original shows popularity was supported by the fact that the AA was cutting edge. That will bring back audiences. If they feel that this is NOT a robot but a live person, that will make this a MUST SEE attraction again.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    What needs to happen to bring back Lincoln. The Animatronic HAS to be the most cutting edge AA Disney has ever produced. I want to see Lincoln enter the room, sit down. Get up to speak and walk around while he is doing it. I want to feel like tears are going to appear on his face. I want a full range of expressions on his face. I want sweat appearing on his brow. I want it so real you would swear it was a real person.
    Alternatively, I would also be happy with a real person. If living people can be pirates in New Orleans Square and Tom Sawyer Island, then a living person could be Abe Lincoln and talk to the audience and answer small children's questions. Or maybe they could do Abe Lincoln like the "Turtle Talk with Crush" show at DCA, and have a digitized Lincoln chat with the audience.

Katprint

• Drunk On Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by ACDCmaniac921 View Post
    I WANT IT BACK! get rid of that stupid 50th show. the park's almost 52 now anyway! maybe theyre enhancing it and that's what the wait is. i hope so...
    I would not say its "stupid", I actualy like it.
    BUT you are right the park is going on 52 and I do believe that they said it would be temporary.

HHHHmmmmmmm Maybe they will change it after nemo opens.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Arrow Re: Lincoln [The Attraction] Historical significance to Walt's Childhood?

First, as far as significance to Walt's childhood, Lincoln was his favorite president. Nothing more, nothing less.

Second, I was told by a Guest Relations CM that they're going by public demand here and so far, Steve Martin's attendance numbers are much higher than Lincoln's. They want to see how many people will ask for Lincoln back. So if I were you, I'd go by City Hall and ask. Don't complain, don't demand, just ask when (not if) Lincoln comes back. That seems to be what they're looking for at this point.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Problem Child/Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsplash View Post
    I would not say its "stupid", I actualy like it.
    BUT you are right the park is going on 52 and I do believe that they said it would be temporary.

HHHHmmmmmmm Maybe they will change it after nemo opens.
    yeah maybe i shouldnt of said that (mommy, he said the s word! lol) but it's a bit out of date now.
    We want to appeal to everyone and get rich quick. We want to be millionaires. I've got this plan to buy Tasmania you see...-Angus Young

• Cowboy, Bear, Pirate, etc

This seems to be the same discussion as the one about TSI and the impending destruction of Fort Wilderness. Guests don't know/care about Tom and Huck, and sadly guests don't care about Abraham Lincoln, history, or Americana.

It's sad that Disneyland guests don't respond to the kinds of things that people used to count as important, but that's what a marketing-driven world looks like. Who needs real culture when you can just chase after the next product/entertainment/commercial tie-in.

• Santa Barbara, CA

The connection they used to make in the show when it was the Walt Disney Story with GMWML, was that animatronics was one of his greatest achievements and this show was one of the first, etc.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]