Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Its Not About The Thrill!!!!!

I believe disneytim is correct about ATIS. Started out free, ended up a C (after losing the Monsanto sponsorship, I think).

One thing about tickets: they gave you a benchmark for how the park ranked its attractions, something more objective than your own likes and dislikes and your own passing observations about passenger numbers.

As for the thrill ride aspect, don't forget that the Bobsleds were by far the most popular ride at DL until POTC. They were the first fully-themed thrill ride and remain popular to this day. Also, there was a national survey (last year?) that showed Space Mountain to be the most popular ride at DL, by a good margin. So, you can hardly blame Disney for seeing fully-themed thrill rides (all the "mountain" rides) as the surest bets for long-lasting crowd pleasers. Even POTC has those waterfalls.

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

I don't agree.

I think most of those you listed (POTC, HM, The subs, JC, Splash) are thrilling thrill rides.

Instead, I would make the argument: "A thrill ride does not have to be a hardcore roller coaster."
    Magic Journeys...

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    To correct my earlier post, I'm pretty sure Splash debuted after the demise of the ticket books. And a quick glance through an old E Ticket magazine turned up a sentence indicating that the Mine Train was at one time an E ticket. However, the sentence referenced it as competing with other E tickets like HM and POTC, but my Spring 1969 guide shows it as already a D by then, and the HM didn't open until later that year (only a month after we'd already driven back to Alabama). So it maybe/probably/possibly was an E when it opened. Some site has a ticket history section, but can't remember where now (allearsnet maybe?).

A bientot.
    Splash Mtn. debuted the summer of 89, and was obviously considered an E ticket and a thrill ride, the first one in quite a while.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Its Not About The Thrill!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by symbolic View Post
    Splash Mtn. debuted the summer of 89, and was obviously considered an E ticket and a thrill ride, the first one in quite a while.
    a full decade after BTMRR...

proving: new Attractions are scarce; new E-Ticket Attractions are even rarer...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123