Page 49 of 104 FirstFirst ... 243946474849505152597499 ... LastLast

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland in 3D!

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Woo! East Chiller Plant! My favorite part of Disneyland!
    Yes! All those turbines make it so magical.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• =)

I know, don't they?

• At Work

My computer's being worked on.
    Bummer! Your new computer is already having problems? Hope things get fixed (regardless of any rendering work!)

-mark
    I surf MiceChat like I spend my time at Disneyland sitting on the bench and watch the people go by.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Should've bought a Mac!

[/shameless plug for the best computers in existence ]

• =)

All right, I got my computer back, though it doesn't have any Internet for the time being. :angry: It may stay that way until early January, which would really stink, but I (obviously) have an alternate way of accessing the Internet. What's really unfortunate is, if I can't get things working, I won't be able to post any photos or renders for the rest of the month. I'll be able to create them and prepare them and so on, but making them available online would have to wait. Time will tell...

The problem I was having wasn't affecting the model in any way; it was a sound card issue, and it doesn't seem to have been fixed, sadly. Oh well. That's what I get for being a bit of an audiophile--things that wouldn't bother most people can get on my nerves.

Hey, good news, though: I thought last week's attempt at photographing the backstage area between the first Pirates show building, the Indy queue, and the DLRR tracks was a failure, but upon examining the photos today, I was enormously pleased to catch a few glimpses of something that's eluded me for SO long--the outside surface of the Indy queue tunnel. Well, it's not yet a tunnel at that point...it hasn't traveled underground yet, though it certainly looks that way from the inside. Anyway, the photos I took from the railroad show parts of the exterior wall that correspond to the area between the "bamboo canyon" and the bat caves. It's just a plain, dull green surface, much like a show building exterior...which makes sense...because it really is just a long, short, thin show building that links up to an underground tunnel that then goes aboveground again as it enters the huge main show building. Anyway, this may not be particularly gaspworthy for most of you, but it's something I've wanted to see for a really long time, and I'm afraid my excited eyes have trouble seeing everything when I'm actually there...so I have to rely on my memories for overall impressions and my photos for specific, if intermittent, details. Can't wait to Flickrize these photos, but for reasons I just explained, that may have to wait till early January.

• Minion

You're a genius...This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time!

• =)

Haha, thank you muchly! I gotta tell you, the "genius" part just ain't true, but I appreciate the compliment! And I'm glad you're enjoying this.

• Minion

Well, it takes a lot of skill and dedication to do what you're doing and I find it fascinating! Keep up the good work!

• =)

Well, again I thank ye. It really feels good knowing there are others who can enjoy projects like this--the "real world", as it were, tends to try to convince me otherwise, but there really are others who like this sort of thing.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Well, again I thank ye. It really feels good knowing there are others who can enjoy projects like this--the "real world", as it were, tends to try to convince me otherwise, but there really are others who like this sort of thing.
    This being my 21st year going to Disneyland, you have unfolded a new layer of the park for me! Make sure you keep us updated on your progress!

• =)

This being my 21st year going to Disneyland, you have unfolded a new layer of the park for me! Make sure you keep us updated on your progress!
    I'm so glad to hear that. I've learned an unbelievable amount through this process, too--I really experience Disneyland in a totally different way now. It makes me want to come back sooner, because there's always something else I realize I need a photo of. Add this on top of how much I enjoy being there already, and you've got a recipe for as many visits as I, a non-AP-holder, can financially justify.

And yes! I'll be sure to continue updating. Actually, here are two renders I did a while back but never posted. These are both of the Haunted Mansion, showing the way the facade and show building connect without anything else getting in the way. One allows the interior to show through partially.

EDIT: FYI, see those square indentations in the green show building's sides? The bottoms of the indentations mark the ground level backstage. Anything below that is underground backstage. And then the facade should give you a pretty good idea of where ground level is onstage.

As I said above, I still don't have internet and modeling on the same computer for the time being, and the situation may remain that way till January. (Fingers crossed... ) In the mean time, though, I'll be working on the model, so perhaps I can post a whole slew of new renders once the Internet's up again. Today, I've been trying to decipher a visually crowded and confusing blueprint, erasing lines in Photoshop and trying to line it up properly. My visit a week ago allowed me to develop a somewhat better understanding of the Indy queue, so I'd really like to get as much of that built as possible.
    Last edited by Datameister; 12-20-2007 at 02:23 AM.

• =)

Well, crappit. Remember that render I did with the Indy entrance temple next to the show building? I posted it a few pages back, though it's not up on Flickr yet. Anyway, turns out the scale wasn't quite right after all. I thought the temple looked really small! Turns out it's actually about 1.5 times the size I had it before. I misread an elevation number. It's amazing how changing 136' to 134' will affect things! So yeah, the temple is now its proper size, and I'm trying to get it closer to completion. C'est difficile, tu sais.

• is too darn hot.

Those two HM renders are amazing.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• =)

Why, thank you! Glad you like them.

EDIT: Work on the Indy queue continues. The temple entrance is more complete than ever. In fact, all it's really missing is the pair of snake statues out front, which I doubt I'll ever create due to their complexity, my noobishness, and the fact that my blueprints are only somewhat accurate. So yeah, everything else is finished for the entrance, pretty much. I've got the temple sitting in place and facing the correct direction now, too. The thing is, I've done some more work lining up blueprints over the last few days, so I had to adjust the entire queue. Things seem to be okay, though.

Unfortunately, some areas of the finished Indy queue will inevitably be based on intelligent guesses. I have enough information to construct the paths themselves so that they're accurate within a few feet. I have blueprints that provide me with very detailed information on some areas, but other areas are very difficult to figure out. Photographic help is extraordinarily scarce--I have only two photos that show little tiny bits of the backstage exterior of part of the queue "tunnel." Tarzan's Treehouse would offer great views of the top of part of the structure, if not for all of the expertly and densely planted foliage. Aerial photos are completely unhelpful--all you can see is lots of wonderful trees.

Sorry to ramble, but things are coming along fairly well. I just really, really wish I knew more about what lies immediately to the east of the bamboo canyon. That part of the queue is not underground, though it rather looks that way. You're in a long, boxy building with elaborate theming inside. On the other side of the west wall (on your right as you head in toward the ride) is Pirates, but I want to know about the east (left) wall. The Jungle Cruise river is close, but is there a berm separating the two? Is there a space along the east side where cast members can walk? If there is a berm, does it just slope up and up until it meets the top of the queue wall, or does it slope back down again before meeting the wall, allowing a small space between the wall of earth and the wall of the queue? This is the kind of stuff I've wondered for years, and I really want to know.
    Last edited by Datameister; 12-20-2007 at 01:11 PM.

• Minion

good work.

LinkBacks (?)