• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

A Half Day at DCA 5/12: HSM, Monsters, Block Party Bash, Drawn to the Magic and More

Disclaimer: there are no pictures of any subs, the submarine lagoon, construction on Tom Sawyer Island or pirates in this post. You've been warned.*

With such beautiful weather, it was time to visit DLR with my cousin David who was visiting from the East Coast. He had other engagements in the morning, so we didn't get to the park until 2pm. We immediately headed over to Soarin' and the single rider line. We both ended up in the same ride vehicle--my cousin the first row and myself in the bottom row. Originally, it was the other way around, but seeing that this was his first visit in two years, I graciously let him switch places with me.

After a safe flight over the Golden State, we felt the need...the need for speed. And California Screamin' would be the only cure. I'm not as comfortable holding my camera on rollercoasters as other MiceChatters, so just imagine the usual sights as we hurtle around the tracks.

With our speed craving satisfied, we realized we could catch the last High School Musical Pep Rally of the day. It was time to bop to the top and show off our Wildcat spirit. Figuratively speaking, of course. Here are the 16 talented performers in this fun rolling show.

The Students

The Basketball Team

The Cheerleaders

HSM has a nice lesson for the younger members in the audience and it's the secret to its popularity.
    Remember: we're all in this together.

We went and got some shakes on our way to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. A quick stop at ToT to get fastpasses, then it was on to Monsters to watch Mike and Sully rescue little Boo. My cousin had yet to ride this somewhat recent addition to the park. There's a first time for everything.

...and if you're wondering, no, I didn't use a flash for any of these pictures. But it was the first time using my 50mm f/1.8 lens at the parks. There are some fairly well-lit scenes in this attraction, so it wasn't a difficult test for the new lens. I'll have to try the lens some other time in the ultimate indoor attractions across the way in DL--Haunted Mansion and PotC.

Right outside of Monsters, there was a nice statue of Sorcerer Mickey.

While a H.S. band was on the Hollywood Pictures Backlot Stage. Was this part of the Disney Magic Music Days?

On our way to Tower, we saw Sully. Apparently he was done rescuing Boo and wanted to get into the Hyperion to see Aladdin. I think the CMs wouldn't let him in, so he left as a disappointed monster.

Onto Tower we went with our FPs. And we dropped and dropped and dropped. I think we screamed like little girls. But, shhhh, don't tell anyone, ok?

Back later (ok, maybe tomorrow) with Drawn to the Magic and Block Party Bash pictures.

*Note: I'm really a big fan of all the sub pictures from this past week on MC. Thank you to all the hard working MiceChat photographers! I can't wait to ride the subs again this summer.

• Neep meep beep

Re: A Half Day at DCA 5/12: HSM, Monsters, Block Party Bash, Drawn to the Magic and M

I was looking through your photoset on Flickr with these very photos, and I'm glad you posted them. Really really great photographs - thanks for sharing!

Re: A Half Day at DCA 5/12: HSM, Monsters, Block Party Bash, Drawn to the Magic and M

VERY nice PICS!!

Fess up...what camera are you using? (sorry if that's already covered elsewhere). Great non-flash capabilities there.

• Neep meep beep

Armadillo shoots with a Canon Rebel XTi - a wonderful camera indeed (as you can tell).

• Up is Down

great pics!
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

• ap holder

aw monsters inc. great pictures

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Beautiful pictures! The pictures from Monsters were awesome! Wish my little point and shoot would get pictures like that!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I really appreciate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    Armadillo shoots with a Canon Rebel XTi - a wonderful camera indeed (as you can tell).
    And thanks Froggy for lending a hand and answering the camera question! I couldn't get online all day until now. I got the Rebel XTi just a few months ago and am very happy with it. Pretty much all of the current crop of dSLRs are very, very nice. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them unless you're looking for very specific features. What feels "right" in your hands is probably just as important as tech specs or features with these cameras.

I'll be back after a quick dinner break with more photos: Drawn to the Magic and Block Party Bash!

(singing) ...celebrate good times, come on!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Reminder, this is a sub-free zone. There will be no photos of any subs in this post.

Coming out of ToT, we came across a performance of Drawn to the Magic outside of the Disney Animation building. This show has the dubious distinction of having a thread last year on MiceChat questioning if it was the worst show at DLR. I certainly don't think it's the worst show at the parks by any means, but I do agree that it works much, much better as streetmosphere. At the time of the earlier thread, it was being performed on the Hollywood Pictures Backlot Stage and it's just not to the scale for a full stage show.

Regardless, we enjoyed watching the performers and they attracted a decent amount of observers this afternoon. I think it does its job to draw attention to the Animation building.

Is it just me or is she strangling Jessie?

When the characters come out, it certainly gets the crowd excited. Cameras come to life. Autograph books are whipped out. And young children are pushed forward by eager parents looking for that special Kodak moment. Wisely, we stepped back as quickly as possible.

It's a cute show and who knows, maybe it inspires someone to pick up pencil and paper and someday become an animator.

We decided that it was time to sample some of the delectable offerings at the Taste of California Marketplace. On the way over to the Pacific Wharf area, we stopped to smell the roses.

Yes, I know they're not roses. But I couldn't use the cliche otherwise.

Over the bridge we went and had some absolutely delicious food from the Festival Marketplace. I give two thumbs up to the pearl couscous and white cheddar soup. David liked the lobster and shrimp quesadilla so much that he went back and got a second order.

While eating, we were able to see the Mariachi Divas from afar. I wandered over to get a few pictures. I love these talented musicians!

Our appetites satisfied and having heard some wonderful music, we knew it was getting close to Block Party Bash time. We needed to find a party zone and fast. 'Cuz here comes the party!

I love the CM brigade walking behind the parade when it's over. There's such a variety, it seems like they're all part of the fun. After the parade was over, we did the single rider line at Soarin' again before David had to leave for a dinner date. It was a fun, fun day at DCA. Ok, maybe only a half-a-day, but enjoyable nonetheless. On the way out, we "caught" the monorail over the Golden Gate Bridge. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Armadillo4; 05-18-2007 at 09:35 PM.