• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Has Marketing decided not to mention DCA?

Interesting to note, DM and I drove up to Universal Studios yesterday, and were checking out the Disney Billboards, and on some of them, they talk about the Block Party Bash, and that its at the Disneyland Resort... No mention of DCA...

And the new TV commercials talk about things like the new Parade of Dreams, Buzz Lightyear, and the Fireworks, along with Tower of Terror and the Block Party Bash, also with just a generic reference to the Disneyland Resort... Once again, no mention of DCA..

Anyways, I have to love the Knott's Billboards, there is one just to the right of the Disney ones when you exit Universal... "More Bang for your Buck"
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Know More Than You Should

Well it is Disneyland's 50th anniversary afterall. Why that doesn't stop them from advertising WDW I don't know.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Interesting to note, DM and I drove up to Universal Studios yesterday, and were checking out the Disney Billboards, and on some of them, they talk about the Block Party Bash, and that its at the Disneyland Resort... No mention of DCA...

And the new TV commercials talk about things like the new Parade of Dreams, Buzz Lightyear, and the Fireworks, along with Tower of Terror and the Block Party Bash, also with just a generic reference to the Disneyland Resort... Once again, no mention of DCA..
    As you are aware, DLR encompasses both DL and DCA in Disney lingo. Why then does their use of DLR seem odd?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer

Anyways, I have to love the Knott's Billboards, there is one just to the right of the Disney ones when you exit Universal... "More Bang for your Buck"

I agree with you that the Marketing efforts for DCA are pretty bad until you actually get at the resort itself... Then it is an absolute "beg" fest to get people into DCA...

Now if they want me to develope a better Marketing plan for DCA, I probably could put something together for them... But they would have to pay me... There are times when I wished I could post stuff her about what I would do... But since it is my profession, it is like asking a Lawyer for free advice on a board...

I will say this... Knott's (Cedar Fair) has a terrific opperating model, and they do a fairly good job... I do have issues with their park and it's layout, but I love the ghost town... It is as classic as DL itself - and has been around longer...
    Check out my other blog:

• Space Scout

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy
    As you are aware, DLR encompasses both DL and DCA in Disney lingo. Why then does their use of DLR seem odd?
    Yeah, DLR refers to both DL and DCA, although thinking of it as a multi-park resort is a fairly new concept so I'd bet the general population just hears Disneyland. Same way they don't mention every single park around WDW when they advertise for it.

If they weren't advertising ToT or Block Party, that would be fishy.
    Help test MouseMosaic! PM me suggestions.

• Official Mice Chat person

Yeah, they are probably trying to advertise that Disneyland is now bigger, and there is more to do than just Disneyland. Hence why all you hear is Disneyland Resort. Plus the name "Disneyland" is more known and has more respect than "Disney's California Adventure"

• Banned User

I have to say that Disneyland's billboards are the most tastefull this summer, and have been for a while now. Disneyland's have a nice gold 50 with a few different pictures on each with that nice Disneyland Resort logo. On the other hand, Knott's has the most cheesy saying: "More Bang for your Buck!" and Universal's has a guy with a spider on his face.

• Santa Barbara, CA

If you had a giant red zit on your face you'd advertise the upcoming "pop" not the zit.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    I have to say that Disneyland's billboards are the most tastefull this summer, and have been for a while now. Disneyland's have a nice gold 50 with a few different pictures on each with that nice Disneyland Resort logo. On the other hand, Knott's has the most cheesy saying: "More Bang for your Buck!" and Universal's has a guy with a spider on his face.
    Same in Orlando with Universal ads... I suppose you guys in Hollywood are cursed with yet another "Fear Factor" attraction at USH, just like we are here in Orlando.

• Minion

I think Disney has relied on its reputation for advertising and marketing. I think they left out DCA for the mere fact that people may not want to go if its just at DCA so that's why they advertise the resort in general.

I dont think Knott's advertising it cheesy at all, it catches your eye and it makes you laugh. The fact is that you remember it and that's what they want. They have a pretty small marketing team as well and they have come up with some of the best commercials in the past. Lately however, I haven't seen any commercials.

And the "old" man for SFMM, well that's annoying but quite catchy and its working for them.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    If you had a giant red zit on your face you'd advertise the upcoming "pop" not the zit.
    Oh ... thats just gross ... to even think about .... I LOVE IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• The one, the only...

It is interesting the comparison with WDW. Each park there is promoted separately. There is the logo for WDW added, but each park is the headliner. If DCA had been a success, I am sure that Marketing would have promoted its name in the current adds, even if it is Disneyland's anniversary. I know that they have done customer surveys. They know that DCA has a bad reputation with locals and no reputation with tourists.

I think that this is a sign that DCA will either change its theme in the future or just be repacked with a new name to correct its dismal reputation.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Cowboy, Bear, Pirate, etc

Bingo!

Jiminy wins the prize!

Marketing is trying to use the warm fuzzy feelings people have for Disneyland Park to induce an overall acceptance of DCA without ever mentioning DCA. They're creating a linkage between the the overall Disneyland Park experience and people's acceptance of a few elements of DCA (Block Party, Tower, Soarin') in the hopes that people will start to feel warm and fuzzy about DCA overall.

This won't work though, because the problem is the with the place itself. I can convince myself that DCA is actually an okay place all I want until I commit to spending any time there. Then I am quickly reminded that there isn't much to do and that there are so many things that could be so much better about the place if only Corporate would do things right.

So, this is likely to be just another failed attempt to get people to like the place.

• wasting time

Doesn't suprise me.

Last year the Christmas commercials they aired on TV showed DL and gave DCA no recognition at all.

Currently the ticket booths out by the esplanade have posters suggesting guests buy a park hopper ticket. The funny thing is every poster depicts an attraction in DCA. None of the posters have an image of DL. This gave me the impression that the folks at TDA believe their guests are coming with the intention of visiting DL and not DCA.

Perhaps they finally know their audience ?

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33
    Well it is Disneyland's 50th anniversary afterall. Why that doesn't stop them from advertising WDW I don't know.
    Amen.

But ^ haven't I seen some of the posters with Soarin' Over California on them, and California Screamin?