Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• With my wife....

New Attractions Anticipation

One of my favorite bits of Disneyana over the years has been the new attractions rumor mill. To this day, I get that tingly sensation just thinking about what it would be like to ride a brand new, spectacular ride. Let's use this thread to 1) reminisce about the days before a new attraction's opening, and 2) list any information about possible new attractions.

I'll start with my favorite.... I remember first hearing about the new Indy ride. I was ecstatic! I was in high school at the time, and I remember I was home sick from school the day the ride opened. I was flipping through the newspaper and they had a big multi-page article about the new attraction, and as I watched TV throughout the day, they had special reports about it all day long.

To this day, when I ride that ride, I'm still reminded of how excited I was when it first opened.
    Last edited by E-ticket; 02-04-2005 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Inaccurate title!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• Social Imagineer

Whew, I'm glad we got rid of that pesky Gossip Forum, otherwise I'd have to move this thread against my will.

I'm glad all rumormongering about Disneyland can stay in the Disneyland Forum!

• With my wife....

OOPS!

I realized after the fact that it really wasn't about the rumors, so much as the anticipation... I've updated the title to reflect that.
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• /sigh

Indy was the first new ride for me as well. I grew up on and admired Indy, infact, when I was younger, I would jump from couch to couch, duck under tables, and tie up my little sister with my jumprope whip, all while humming the Indy theme song. So, many moons later when they decided to make Indy into a ride, I was thrilled! To this day I still hum the Indy theme and get goosebumps each time I ride (jumprope whip not included!).

...Plus, what girl could resist a man in a leather jacket with a whip???
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Incognito

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    ...Plus, what girl could resist a man in a leather jacket with a whip???

Girl, or man for that matter

I remember fondly the tv ads for "the new Matterhorn - it can only happen at...Disneyland". But what I really remember was the Fantasyland remodel. I remember taking the Skyway and at the time I rode it it was a round trip ride because the Fantasyland station was closed, but it offered a great view of the construction. I couldn't wait to ride the new Pinocchio dark ride! Plus what they did with the facades, was truly amazing and to this day I still think we have the best looking Fantasyland.

• Minion FOREVER!

For me, it was the "new" Snow White

I actually used to hate this ride when I was a kid...

But when they re-did it, I thought that it
    was really good. Even today, I really like the queue (the brass apple in the
    front, the Evil Queen above) and the effects (queen transformation and the
    holographic apple) are really well done....

The other ride that I greatly anticipated (like many others here) is
    Indy. A lot of my friends rode it before me and had said that it was awesome, but I wasn't
    ready for it AT ALL. The queue was fantastic and the ride was totally awesome.
    It was WAAAY better then my really high expectations. I don't think there's
    another ride that comes close to delivering that.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Splash was my first "new" ride.

Will the lines ever get short for that thing????
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

i remember when they said they were going to build the davy crocket ride over where big thunder ranch is at. it was supposed to be a suspended roller coaster through the woods. possibly going under the water through a tunnel and using up all of tom sawyers island. that would have been beautiful to look at from across the river. first time visitors would have wondered where the ride came from.

• Minion

I remeber when Star tours first opened. It was so cool to see Chewbaca and some Ewoks walking around tomorrowland. My family got to ride the monorail with Chwey too. Its on of my favorite memories.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

When I was a kid, I remember watching the disney channel late at night talking about a new ride called Splash Mountain. They showed how it was being made, and it amazed me. When I went to disneyland shortly after that, I could not wait to go on that ride, I had butterflies in my stomach.

• LoisAlene

mkay, My memories go back Just a bit further - I remember reading in a Kid's magazine about the wonderful New attraction coming to Disneyland - The Haunted Mansion.
    I think I about drove my parents crazy with begging for a trip to Cali.
    I also remember the first time I heard about Space Mountain. "In the DARK???" It was pretty daring for the time! I thnk we spent Most of the Captain EO weekend in that line.
    My favorite ride rumor has always been "they're going to add a loop to......." Cracks me up everytime I read it.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• U. B. Bold

Man, you guys make me feel old. I remember when Pirates opened. 'Nuff said. The latest rumor I've heard is the possibility that a new "land" might be created with the Matterhorn, the Subs and something new in the old motorboat cruise area. I think the name was something like "Explorerland" or maybe "Discoveryland" like DLP. Anybody else hear that one?
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder
    Man, you guys make me feel old. I remember when Pirates opened. 'Nuff said.
    I guess that makes me positively ancient. I remember when The Matterhorn opened. Oh my...the lines! All the way around both sides...and worth the wait! (Riding the Skyway through the mountain was pretty cool too!) From that time on... we always knew when Disneyland was near when we could see the peak from Interstate 5.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    I guess that makes me positively ancient. I remember when The Matterhorn opened. Oh my...the lines! All the way around both sides...and worth the wait! (Riding the Skyway through the mountain was pretty cool too!) From that time on... we always knew when Disneyland was near when we could see the peak from Interstate 5.
    You know, I am not too, well, "old"... 34, and I remember some of this from my first visit when I was 5... (The year was 1976) The Matterhorn already opened by then.. but it wasn't the same ride it is today... I seemed to remember it being somewhat unfinished... Pooh had a hunny pot on his head...

I liked the SkyWay... and everytime I see the building in Fantasyland with it's beautiful mural on the side of the sun and the moon... I miss it... I am hoping some day someone will be able to reopen it with fully enclosed cabins so people cant drop stuff from the hight and sue Disneyland... (I think that is why it closed, really...)
    Check out my other blog:

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Lol. Damn. You are old.
    Come to think of it, I remember the Matterhorn too and being very upset that I was too young to ride when it first opened. Remember when it was nothing but a steel skeleton inside? No ice caves. No abominable snow monster and single sled trains, not the doubles that they have now. Ah memories.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast