Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Right, the shell is just an overlay of the limo -- same technology, same TVs, same track. The ride will be virtually the same, only the show will be changed, and it will be done with a small budget.
    depends, the overlay of SSL is looking to be much more then say the overlay of Stitch into Alien Encounter (or maybe the same)

it might stick around longer then we think

and nobody really knows if or how it will tie into the backlot at all

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    depends, the overlay of SSL is looking to be much more then say the overlay of Stitch into Alien Encounter (or maybe the same)

it might stick around longer then we think

and nobody really knows if or how it will tie into the backlot at all
    Well, yes, a lot of things overstay their welcome. But the tie-in to HPB can only be contrived at best. There's not even the Nemo logic in support of this. If Peter Pan needed an overlay, Monsters would be a logical option. when AE was deemed a poor choice for WDW (which I disagree with), that lovable alien Stitch was a logical choice for an overlay. monsters doesn't follow any logic except exploitation of currently-popular characters, a la Pooh.

Only, Pooh has stood the test of time, fits the theme of the land better, and is in the more populated park, next to a ride with one of the parks longest wait times. If Pooh has all of these advantages over Monsters, and is still an acknowledged underperformer, why would the powers that be expect different results for Monsters? Isn't there an adage that doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insantiy?
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

I think that a good Muppets dark ride should go in place of the 3D movie. In the Hollywood and Dine building there could be a ride on the history of the movie industry. In the Millionaire building it would be nice to have an interactive special effects show or presentation where the people are involved. No more restaurants in DCA, there are enough of them already.

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Well, yes, a lot of things overstay their welcome. But the tie-in to HPB can only be contrived at best. There's not even the Nemo logic in support of this. If Peter Pan needed an overlay, Monsters would be a logical option. when AE was deemed a poor choice for WDW (which I disagree with), that lovable alien Stitch was a logical choice for an overlay. monsters doesn't follow any logic except exploitation of currently-popular characters, a la Pooh.

Only, Pooh has stood the test of time, fits the theme of the land better, and is in the more populated park, next to a ride with one of the parks longest wait times. If Pooh has all of these advantages over Monsters, and is still an acknowledged underperformer, why would the powers that be expect different results for Monsters? Isn't there an adage that doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insantiy?
    Ick Monsters Inc would be even more horidly out of place in Fantasyland then it is in the backlot (stylisticaly speaking now, Fantasyland is very european and is a small village from the past as well, Monsters Inc is very urban and modern)

Anywho, I don't think a comparison to Pooh is quite necissary, we don't yet know how the show will be or what the show scenes will encorperate

I will say that at least the characters from Monsters Inc are more exciting then those of Pooh, Pooh is cute I suppose but his story's are pretty um slow and lack real excitment which is something needed in a theme park (excitment and adventure are what one expects from rides, even kiddy rides need this, Pooh isn't exciting or adventurous he's just a cute little bear that loves hunny, TDS's ride system did an amazing job of adding excitment to an otherwise yawnable concept)

• Minion

Ick Monsters Inc would be even more horidly out of place in Fantasyland then it is in the backlot (stylisticaly speaking now, Fantasyland is very european and is a small village from the past as well, Monsters Inc is very urban and modern)

Anywho, I don't think a comparison to Pooh is quite necissary, we don't yet know how the show will be or what the show scenes will encorperate

I will say that at least the characters from Monsters Inc are more exciting then those of Pooh, Pooh is cute I suppose but his story's are pretty um slow and lack real excitment which is something needed in a theme park (excitment and adventure are what one expects from rides, even kiddy rides need this, Pooh isn't exciting or adventurous he's just a cute little bear that loves hunny, TDS's ride system did an amazing job of adding excitment to an otherwise yawnable concept)
    Let's see... Monsters enter through the closet. Your queue takes you through a family home and into a child's bedroom, and your ride begins as you walk through the door, which is where you board your suspended door vehicle. Create a facade for a family home that melds with the European feel of Fantasyland, and you're done. Or, conversely, theme the exterior to an old factory, the brickwork going nicely with Toad Hall, and representing a warehouse where the door vehicles are kept. Very simple. But, more importantly, the ride fits the THEME of the land (fantasy, kiddie rides, etc.), and it suits the type of vehicle already in use by the ride receiving the overlay.

Meanwhile, the comparison to Pooh is indeed quite necessary. It's a question of learning from the past. And we know enough to make an informed estimation of what Monsters will be. We know the track layout and basic vehicle components, so as a ride, we know exactly what we're going to get, and what we're going to get is an even less interesting ride vehicle than Pooh.

We also know that the one action scene in Monsters was the door vehicle ending. I don't know many people who would even think of arguing that the Monsters characters are exciting in any way, especially compared to Pooh. The movie was essentially a family comedy, and translating a family comedy into an exciting ride is tough to do. Rides like Hunny Hunt and Roger Rabbit rely less on the story and more on the fun of riding the vehicle. Monsters won't have that. If it did, SSL would have been just as fun to ride and would not have closed down at light speed.

Bottom line, Monsters isn't adding up to be half the ride that Pooh is. Again, if a classic character like Pooh, Disney's biggest-selling character (many sources claim revenue from Pooh and his friends is in the billions), can't get people in the queue next to a ride with enough people to build a 90 minute wait time, realistically, what chance will Monsters have next to an E ticket that can usually be found with a 13 minute wait time?

Hopefully, Disney is smart enough to know that this is only a temporary patch for a troubled park, which is why they gave it a small budget. Regardless of Disney's intent, I don't see this staying too long past its projected opening date next January.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

...TDS's ride system did an amazing job of adding excitment to an otherwise yawnable concept)
    The ride system they did in TDS was amazing.. i totally agree with you that Pooh does have the cute kids apeal but the lack of adventure isnt there. It jsut shows that the ride system itself makes a big difference.. The trackless ride system they develope looks amazing. What happened to that peterpan type ride system.. thats amzing as well.. Makes me wonder a ride like peter pan still gets lines that our 30 to 45 mins long wouldnt that tell the suits at Disney that type of ride is popular. The overlay in SSL will be okay FOR A WHILE... and turn into another SSL empty and just boring. Based on what i read if the budget is VERY low.. No AA more carboard or plywood board cutouts.. eeeggghhh But buuuuttttt It does add to the rides that can be for the younger audience. Since there is a lack of that in DCA...
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by XCLIPSE129
    The ride system they did in TDS was amazing.. i totally agree with you that Pooh does have the cute kids apeal but the lack of adventure isnt there. It jsut shows that the ride system itself makes a big difference.. The trackless ride system they develope looks amazing. What happened to that peterpan type ride system.. thats amzing as well.. Makes me wonder a ride like peter pan still gets lines that our 30 to 45 mins long wouldnt that tell the suits at Disney that type of ride is popular. The overlay in SSL will be okay FOR A WHILE... and turn into another SSL empty and just boring. Based on what i read if the budget is VERY low.. No AA more carboard or plywood board cutouts.. eeeggghhh But buuuuttttt It does add to the rides that can be for the younger audience. Since there is a lack of that in DCA...
    See, you hit the nail on the head. Monsters as currently planned and budgeted will be another "younger audience" attraction, like Fun Faire or Route 66. But it's not very family-friendly. People who aren't going to DCA now won't change their mind to see Monsters. And a fraction of the people who go to DCA now will maybe add this to their lineup, but the concept doesn't appeal to a very broad demographic.

From what I've heard, the overhead track didn't work because they couldn't make the braking system work. Now, I'm no professional, but I'm pretty sure Peter Pan's Flight already exists, and has a working brake system. In which case, couldn't the design be adapted to use the Peter Pan braking system? If I were attempting to make a more permanent attraction, that's the route I'd take. Yes, maybe the ride system wouldn't be as innovative as their original door car designs, but it beats the limos system, which was never a very different experience from the 1955 standard dark rides.

-- Walt Disney

Re: What would you do with Hollywood Pictures Backlot?

make the main street of Hollywood Backlot the actual Hollywood and have a walk of fame and such
    It would be interesting if they made a walk of fame for Disney characters (such as the Beast's pawprint) or if they used it to honor some of DL/DCA's long-time/ outstanding cast members.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234