Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What would you do with Hollywood Pictures Backlot?

I know there have been endless posts on how we would all change and fix up DCA. But what about Hollywood Pictures Backlot specifically?

This area was built to represent a studio backlot, not Hollywood itself. That's why most of the buildings are facades, as you know. But now with the Tower of Terror situated at the end of the backlot, the whole concept has become confusing.

What is a deserted falling-apart old hotel doing at the end of a studio backlot?

I've always thought this "land" could one of the most exciting in the whole resort. I say take out the whole backlot theme and simply make this the Hollywood area - perhaps "antique it" to look like Hollywood in the 30's or 40's maybe?

Am I on the right track here or do you disagree?

• With my wife....

And the Monster's Inc overlay to superstar limo will make it even more confusing! Though I must say I'm glad to see that nasty embarassment closed down.
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• Banned User

if i were to fix DCA, or Holly Pictures Backlot specifically, I would let the friggin' Imagineers do their jobs... and I guess make sure to hire Imagineers with creativity... and cut out the salaries of the big people like Eisner so that there is more money for improvements.

make the main street of Hollywood Backlot the actual Hollywood and have a walk of fame and such,

then I would make the back section of it remain the backlot (as a subsection of the land) making the Millionare, SSL and Hollywood and dine area still be a backlot

thus when combined with my LA Expansion idea you go from the real Hollywood (the main drag) to a deserted hotel and then you enter the city area of LA

• dreams do come true

I think that it needs more going on non stop action from attractions to shows to talent just walking around like there is a shoot going on and get the guests involved. This area of the park is just dull.

I love the Disney - MGM Studios in Florida. The Tower of Terror, Rock and Roll Rollercoaster, and the Great Movie Ride. Then theres the incredible themed resturants Mama Melrose,The Brown Derby, Sci- FI Dine In, and the Prime Time Dinner and Lounge. I hate to keep borrowing from Florida but I live in SoCal and don't get to WDW very often.

Lets be frank many pepole who visit DCA have probably never been to WDW or may have been there once.

I think Rock and Roll Rollercoaster would be a great addition. Although it doesn't fit the Hollywood theme the lines would be long.

The Sci - FI Dine In would be a welcomed resteraunt in the Hollywood and Dine building.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

I would love to see a walk of fame and Footprints and Handprints of the stars that were in Disney films (Still alive of course) in the waiting area of the Hyperion. Bring in Rock N Roller Coaster and the MGM Movie ride. Bring in an actual soundstage also and film an ABC sitcom out of it. Give guest an opportunity to see a real production in progress.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

the Great movie ride would be a great addition to that area of the park

RnRC doesn't belong in the backlot

read my LA expansion and you'll see it matches perfectly for an area like that

I don't really think a soundstage is necessary they should just put some sort of show demonstrating special effects and such in hte Millionare building (similar to Armeggedon) I go to a theme park to do and be a part of stuff, not watch them film a show (honestly the park has so many plays and such going on already)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    the Great movie ride would be a great addition to that area of the park

RnRC doesn't belong in the backlot

read my LA expansion and you'll see it matches perfectly for an area like that

I don't really think a soundstage is necessary they should just put some sort of show demonstrating special effects and such in hte Millionare building (similar to Armeggedon) I go to a theme park to do and be a part of stuff, not watch them film a show (honestly the park has so many plays and such going on already)
    I figured that RnRC would work in the backlot as well since the story line is your racing down Hollywood backstreets and alleys to get Aerosmith to the club (Or gig).

You are right as well as it fits in your LA expansion as well but we are talking a Eisner Era Disney here where they are not going to spend money to expand a park that is not fatting up Eisner's pockets. I personally would love to see your Idea take place but I think realistically RnRC needs to be in HBL as it is right now.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

1. Add a new stage show to Hyperion

2. Put in the Great Movie ride with Chinese theater facade and all, and the building will be built in both parts of super star limo, and Hollywood and Dine.

3. Replace Muppets 3-D with the Great Muppet movie ride which was proposed for WDW for some time

4. Put some sort of special effects show in the place of Millionair.

5. Make the main street not look like a stupid set, but actual hollywood. Only theme it to stuidos in the Muppet movie ride area and special effects show.

6. Put something else in the place of play house disney.

7. Theme the walkway to ToT like Sunset BLVD.

Those are my ideas!
    Hail Matt Ouimet, the savior of Disneyland!

• Infinitized!

Since it's a theme park with a California theme, how about an attraction with brush fires, earthquakes, and mud slides?

• What have I done?

Those are all great ideas guys but I kinda lik eit as it is
    However the idea of having movies stars walking around like it is a real working set is a fantastic idea and can be done on the cheap! (For Mr. Eisner's sake.).

Although adding RnRC is sounding really cool to me, I doubt them ever doing that!

"This guy!"

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee
    I figured that RnRC would work in the backlot as well since the story line is your racing down Hollywood backstreets and alleys to get Aerosmith to the club (Or gig).

You are right as well as it fits in your LA expansion as well but we are talking a Eisner Era Disney here where they are not going to spend money to expand a park that is not fatting up Eisner's pockets. I personally would love to see your Idea take place but I think realistically RnRC needs to be in HBL as it is right now.
    true, my version calls for a slight shift in theme

presently though there isn't any actual space in the backlot for expansion

they could go Indy style and build something like the great movie ride out on the tram load/unload area it would of course then be minor the giant impressive facade that WDW has, or they could put in RnRC (which I think would be a mistake especialy since the ride building would tower over the Esplanade or whatever you call it)

so your looking at the Timon lot then which means your looking at either throwing in more studio (which wouldn't make much since thematicaly witht he Tower being outside the Studio and all) or you could go somewere else which is were the LA expansion idea comes in adds a bit more variety to the park

the only other way to fit those giant rides into the park would be to destroy almost all of the backlot and rebuild it and I doubt that's happening

from what I hear the Hyperton is actualy the nicest stage facility Disney owns right now, even better then what Tokyo Disney has built

• dreams do come true

It would be cool if they could put in a special FX ride of some kind and then as you exit you go behind the action and see how it all works.

• Minion

Well, this is a major expansion, but the key is to majorly tweak some land issues by moving parade facilites and buying the corner properties to expand into T&P.

the SE corner would be Eureka Bay, which would connect to HPB via Bountiful (Central) Valley. HPB would then become Hollywoodland. The Babylon Gates are also now a symbol of the Kodak Theater, so the old Soap Opera Bistro could be re-converted to another Oscars landmark, the Cocoanut Grove. The Animation Building would be given a new Disney Studios facade. The Hyperion would also get a facelift. Perhaps an open-air interpretation of the Chinese Theater, or maybe the Egyptian, or perhaps close it and go for one of the other Miracle Mile movie palaces, with a grand entrance. with T&P gone, a new souped-upversion of Mulholland Madness would be created as a berm, and allowing guests to ride over, under, and through the Hollywood(land) Sign. (if need be, the same concept could instead be used closer to Eureka Bay as Loco on Lombard.) In the NE corner we get a Disney-live-action-only GMR, with an El Capitan facade. Then, inside the "studio" portion, DMGM's version of Star Tours is the model. Build just a portion of the land into a "live set" with film facades, and whatnot. maybe even have a cantina restaurant with alien waiters. and of course you get to ride through the movie via the simulator, complete with new films.

as an alternate, use the Pirates by Moonlight concept for a behind-the-scenes ride. Use the GMR/World of Energy cars to ride single-file through movie magic demonstrations. Then, the cars assemble in a banked theater to watch a Pirates stage show similar to the Vegas Treasure Island show. The facade is deliberately themed to a generic movie soundstage, so every few years you could redo the stunt show portion, especially to promote new Disney/Touchstone action films.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast