Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

"Foreign" properties in Disneyland

Most of Disneyland Park is themed on Disney properties. With a few exceptions. The largest being Star Tours (Star Wars) and Temple of the Forbidden Eye (Indiana Jones).

Here's a radical idea. If you hate having these thematic 'anachronisms' in the park why not move them to DCA?

Indy would be relatively simple, the show building can stay put, while a new queue is constructed under the picnic area and the esplanade. The distance is only a little farther than it is to the head of the current queue - less need for switchbacks.

The thing would be integrating it with the area that currently has an air adventure theme. Would it tie in with the new place making?

Star Tours would need to be rehoused in a new show building somewhere in DCA, giving an opportunity for a reimagineering of the ride. I'd say it's a good fit for the backlot area. Possibly in the Who Wants to be a Millionaire building?

Personally I think this unnecessary as I'm of a generation who sees these rides as part of Disneyland. But a few people have stated their detest at having the non-Disney properties in the park. I can see their point with Tomorrowland being a bad fit for "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." However, Indy fits into Adventureland much better (I love Indy!).

What are your opinions?
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Minion

Re: "Foreign" properties in Disneyland

star wars fits fine because its supposed to be told by a person in the future talking about a long long time ago being not that far away from our time.

Most Disneyland attractions are adapted from non-Disney source material.

The only difference is that Star Tours and Indiana Jones Adventure are adapted from films while Alice in Wonderland, Tom Sawyer Island, and the others are taken from books.

• Minion

I agree in concept, but I don't see how it could be made a reality, since Indy doesn't fit in DCA except for the Hollywood area and that's a long stretch for a queue. Where do you picture it loading - in Condor Flats (Soon to be part of Grizzly Mountain)? How would that work? How about simply taking Indy out of the Temple and making it a non-Indy adventure ("Temple of the Forbidden Eye") for guests - - wouldn't change much and fits Adventureland. And it always bugged me that they didn't use Harrison Ford's likeness anyway.

Star Tours could be moved over to Hollywood at DCA in its entirety - - maybe with a whole new Star Wars "land" in the parking lot. Which would be especially great if they restored Adventure Thru Inner Space to Tomorrowland. Star Wars deserves a whole park or land anyway.

Or Walt Disney Company could buy out Lucasfilm and the distribution rights to those films and make them official Disney movies. That's probably a better (maybe even more likely) longterm solution.

• Progressive Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Most Disneyland attractions are adapted from non-Disney source material.

The only difference is that Star Tours and Indiana Jones Adventure are adapted from films while Alice in Wonderland, Tom Sawyer Island, and the others are taken from books.
    Exactly. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Pooh, etc. -- these aren't Disney creations either.

I guess they'll have to move Sleeping Beauty's castle over to DCA if the plan is to move all of the non-Disney stuff out of DL -- or give it to a Disney created princess. And that also means no more Tinkerbell during the fireworks either. Maybe she can flutter around Paradise Pier now.

And if you want to get technical, Pixar was not owned by Disney until 2006 and even though Disney distributed their films, they weren't Disney owned. If the beef is that Star Wars and Indy weren't born out of the walls of Disney, then neither was Buzz so he's gotta go too.

Who really hates it that Star Tours and Indy are in DL?? These rides are much like a sponsored attraction like the Carousel of Progress. I mean, it was basically an animatronic commercial for GE. Star Tours is like motion simulator commercial for George Lucas.

If Disney had to move out all of the non-Disney things out of the park, it would have to undergo a massive overhaul.
    Last edited by KISSman; 05-20-2007 at 12:43 PM.

• Hooterville, USA

The only one that needs to move to DCA is Innoventions. It fits in with the theme.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    The only one that needs to move to DCA is Innoventions. It fits in with the theme.
    Maybe they could manage to lose it on the way over.

• Hillary scares me.

KISSman pretty much nailed it - except for one thing. Disney retained ownership of the Pixar characters even though they were merely the distributor of the films. This was a sticking point for Eisner and one of the primary reasons why negotiations between him and Steve Jobs went south (Pixar wanted ownership back if a new distribution deal was going to be signed with Disney). So send Sleeping Beauty's *** to DCA if you must - Buzz is here to stay.

Now as to whether Disney had ownership of the actual films prior to purchasing Pixar is another story (and something I'm not sure of).

And what about Tarzan, Roger Rabbit or Lincoln? Wait - those do need to go!
    Last edited by chrisaaron; 05-20-2007 at 12:42 PM.

• Progressive Disneylander

Ok, Buzz can stay on a technicality, but we can have a wrecking ball and bulldozers drive down Main Street to take care of the castle and most of Fantasyland at your earliest convenience.

As violators of the Foreign Properties Bill, Sleeping Beauty and her other fantastic friends must be evicted. Lucky for them, I have heard that there might be some new housing developments in the Far Far Away area.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I agree with KISSman, a high percentage of attractions in DL are based on source materiel that is not Disney. If you take out items based on that criteria, you'd have a nearly empty park.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaaron View Post
    Now as to whether Disney had ownership of the actual films prior to purchasing Pixar is another story (and something I'm not sure of).
    Disney owned the attraction, merchandising, and sequel rights.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

And what about Tarzan, Roger Rabbit or Lincoln? Wait - those do need to go!

Wait, huh? Why?

Well, I definitely am a strong advocate of rebuilding TOON TOWN behind the Hollywood area at DCA and making the land more suitable for ALL ages, but I think it's "fine" at Disneyland.

Back to the original post, Star Tours and Indiana Jones don't even belong in DCA. They're fine where they are in their respective lands. They support the ideas of Adventure and Tomorrow better than anything else in a while, and all while giving us a great attraction at the same time.

Why would Star Tours go in Hollywood backlot? Lucas is so anti-hollywood he built his Skywalker Ranch in Northern California! Indiana Jones Adventure also would have no place in DCA... unless they rebranded that park as Disney's Asian Adventure (at least with that idea, there's a lot more ride possibilities).

Star Tours and Indiana Jones are both products of George Lucas' imagination, and he's also a huge fan of Disneyland since he was a child. He knew that there was only ONE company that would properly handle his properties and that company was Disney. Lucas also gave us Captain EO and the concept of Alien Encounter (R.I.P.) as well as stunt shows and Indy rides around the world.

If there was any non-Disney product to be put into Disneyland itself, Star Wars and Indiana Jones are the best suited... as well as the Muppets (now Disney owned). And as much as I like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, neither of those would make good additions to Disneyland in my opinion.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Hillary scares me.

I thought I was the only one who wanted Disney to tear down A Bug's Land and rebuild Toon Town in its place! Won't happen though - it actually fits with the California theme. You know how Disney hates that.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'm reading this "making of star wars" book right now and it's filled ONLY with interviews and quotes recorded from the late 70s. It's just fascinating to read about how one of the most influential films of our time came to fruition.

I stumbled across a passage though that I thought was worth bumping this thread for.

Lemme catch you up to speed. United Artists had first pass at Star Wars. Then it was Universal. They had 10 days to make a decision but never did. So 20th Century Fox picked it up.

But here's a quote from George Lucas around the time Star Wars was made.

"UA was very cool. I just think they thought of it as a big, expensive movie and they didn't understand it. Universal was the same way. I think Disney would have accepted this movie if Walt Disney were still alive. Walt Disney not only had vision, but he was also an extremely adventurous person. He wasn't afraid."

Kinda neat huh? That was already going on in George's head back in the late 70s. A decade later, he pretty much got his wish in a way when Star Tours opened at Disneyland.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• is too darn hot.

I thought I was the only one who wanted Disney to tear down A Bug's Land and rebuild Toon Town in its place! Won't happen though - it actually fits with the California theme. You know how Disney hates that.
    With a little massaging, A Bug's Land could fit the California theme quite well. Work the bugs into the farming aspect of the land that used to be there.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast