Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Wonderful World

Has anyone ever seen...

Has anyone ever seen the movie that splash mountain is based on??If you have whats the name of it and is it worth watching??Cause i have never seen it.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Splash Mountain is based on the movie "Song of the South" It has yet to be released on video, but a DVD release is planned for 2006.

There are several threads about this movie with various opinions- use the search function to find them if you are really curious.

Hope this helps.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Look on Micechat's "All Entertainment" board. There's a big thread about it there.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• the subs were cool maan

Not to start that thread up again, but the whole thing is b/s. Something about "racism". If you want to call Song of the freaking south racist, then Sleeping Beauty is communist........

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy
    Not to start that thread up again, but the whole thing is b/s. Something about "racism". If you want to call Song of the freaking south racist, then Sleeping Beauty is communist........
    Well it certainly isn't democratic, b/c Aurora and Phillip never got to pick their own spouses, their parents did it for them... JK

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    I remember seeing it as a kid. I can totally understand how the black community has a bit of a problem with it. Uncle Remus plays "The Happy Slave" in very close similarity to Uncle Tom.

However i hope people can see it for what it is, a bit of history, and at least try to enjoy it from a childs eye, not from a civil rights eye.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Hooterville, USA

Just watch it and make your own conclusions.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Boozer, User, and Loser

oh no, here we go again

Does anyone remember the old comic strip (I think it was the Ligther Side) As Uncle Remus' wife is doing the laundry she is says "Uncle Remus you can Zippadee DoDah all day long, but keep that darn Blue Bird off your shoulder"!!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    even better is the saturday night live sketch with Tracy Morgan as Uncle Remus advertising malt liquor- the birds were an alcohol induced hallucination.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• At the Gym or at DL

I guess the Beverly Hills Cop movies with the smart black cop and stupid white cops are racist then?

The movie is a depiction of how things were in the South at that time, ala Gone With the Wind, or is that another racist movie.

The PC police are at it again.

• insufferable know-it-all

I think the complaint is that the movie is a fantasy of what things were like, and that it idealizes the reconstructionist South, which, according to critics, runs the risk of influencing kids into thinking it wasn't so bad, etc. The danger being, I guess, that some folks will think that things were actually like that back then.

Personally, the film is from a certain time and place in American history, that mindset is visually apparent, but the film is no better or worse than any others of its time. No person, no group of people, are unhappy 100% of the time, neither are they happy 100% of the time, so personally I see no problem with showing people who have learned to be happy despite the cards they have been dealt, especially in a movie that makes it clear that they do not consider life to be perfect, and where it clearly shows that the (wealthy, white) plantation owners are in the wrong with the way they act toward the (poor, black) household workers and Uncle Remus.

But this thread has basically served its purpose (answered the question in the OP), and it would be a real shame to rehash a debate we only had a month or two ago.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Disney fans for life!

It's all entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. Don't read so much into it. I don't live my life by what some movie says or does. Geeezzz!

Relax, you'll live longer...

My brother has an *cough* unauthorized version of Song of the South on dvd...

It used to be out on laserdisc, but that formant has obviously gone the way of the dodo bird.

The same shouts of racism can be thrown at Dumbo (think of the worker's song as they set up the circus and the crows). I think the depictions are harmmless; that was the era, and the films are portraying the the way things were.

I say if we bash SOTS, we bash Gone w/ the Wind!!!

That one has slaves too, why don't people hate that one? Nope, they just keep releasing it in special edition video, then special edition DVD then, they add some more crap to it and then they release it again!

Why can't they release SOTS JUST ONCE????

Like I've always said, if you don't like it, don't watch it!!!
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast