Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Freshman Member

The Disney Channel and Disneyland

I grew up on The Disney Channel which is nothing like the current version of the channel. Long before Lizzie McGuire and Raven or whatever the new shows are...I'd watch shows like "Videopolis, Kids inc. (sorry to say), and others like the Moochie series and Ozzie and Harriet.

Well the other night my sister and I were busting up about some old Disneyland shows that we had recorded on 1 videocassette, we had like 6 hours of Disneyland shows and specials.

1. "The Disneyland Story" It had the judge from "Night Court" hosting it and I watched this special to death. It's funny, at the end of the show it had some projects that were in the works at Imagineering...like Indy, and a Muppet Show, and the eventual Toon Town.

2. "Earnest Goes to Splash Mountain" This one was pretty cool with Earnest going on Splash Mountain with a ton of fake news footage and he ends up with an oxygen mask at the end.

3. "Disneyland 25th Anniversary Special" with Danny Kaye and Adam Rich. This show's got a ton of stars from the 80's and has the infamous song, "Once upon a time in Anaheim" song at the end.

4. "Disneyland Showtime" from the 60's with the Osmonds, Kurt Russell, and a few broadway stars. This video has a ton of music and is centered around The Haunted Mansion.

5. "Disneyland 35th Anniversary special" with Tony Danza and a few others stars like the cast from "Cheers" This one is classic with a little Woody from "Cheers" meeting a ghost and falling in puppy love on The Haunted Mansion.

6. "Magic in the Magic Kingdom" with a ton of magic acts, like a guy hanging over the water of the Submarines and levitation in Sleeping Beauty Castle. It had Gloria Estefan and Siegfried and Roy.

7. "Wonderful World of Disney" this one was in black and white and showed the building of the Jungle Cruise and Mark Twain.

The funny thing is that I still have the video, probably in my parents storage a few states away...maybe next time I visit them I'll go on a quest for it.

I know The Disney Channel doesn't show stuff like this anymore, but those were the days. I remember on July 17th every year the channel would show all day Disneyland specials. Has anybody else seen these shows or remember The Disney Channel specials they would show on Disneyland?

i agree Disney Channel has really gone down hill. They really don't even have anything Disney. I dont even know y it's called the Disney Channel

• Former leftist media hack

Actually, while the network has gone downhill after 3 p.m., there is House of Mouse, which has Mickey, et al, there's a Lilo and Stich series, and as much as I hate to admit it, most of the Playhouse Disney programming is as good or better than the Sesame Street/Electric company/Mister Rogers that I grew up on.

It hasn't gone downhill. It's just a cable channel. They're all lame 80 percent of the time.
    "I just want to say, this is the best trip ever." - Aidan at age 4

"No. I have no kiss in my mouth for Daddy." -Alida on Father's Day

I remember those shows because I have them too on videotape. I also have mickey's nutcracker on tape, a christmas special from the early 80's with the Kids of the Kingdom, Disneyland's 30th Anniversary special which is awsome!!! Wish the Disney channel could play these special's on july 17th

• the subs were cool maan

They used to air some of that stuff LATE at night, back when they did that 'vault disney' stuff. BUt naturally, people liked it, so they took it out.

• Happy Homespun

Man I LOVED Vault Disney. Ink and Paint Club was always my favorate. Sneaking out of bed at 2 in the morning to watch quality television. Priceless...
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome..."

• Minion

Well, now I am on the record for saying it... I love the theme park based programming Disney Channel had to offer... It is among the Oldest of Disney cross promotial programs... It got people watching ABC, and it got people to the theme parks...

Be it the Mickey Mouse Clubs, Epcot Magazine, a plithera of specials... I remember when Zigfried and Roy made Sleaping Beauty Castle disappear...

It is sad that this type of programming is all but dissappeared... Sad really... Why they didn't have SOME thing for the 50th other than this "comming home" marketing plan, is beyond me... Maybe it is because they would be saddened by what has happened to the park since the Paul Pressler era...

Still, what a promotional tool you have and it has gone completely un used...

That is why I think they should have a show that they film regular in DCA... It may actually get that turnstile clicking...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Well, now I am on the record for saying it... I love the theme park based programming Disney Channel had to offer... It is among the Oldest of Disney cross promotial programs... It got people watching ABC, and it got people to the theme parks...

Be it the Mickey Mouse Clubs, Epcot Magazine, a plithera of specials... I remember when Zigfried and Roy made Sleaping Beauty Castle disappear...

It is sad that this type of programming is all but dissappeared... Sad really... Why they didn't have SOME thing for the 50th other than this "comming home" marketing plan, is beyond me... Maybe it is because they would be saddened by what has happened to the park since the Paul Pressler era...

Still, what a promotional tool you have and it has gone completely un used...

That is why I think they should have a show that they film regular in DCA... It may actually get that turnstile clicking...
    Couldnīt have said it better myself.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Actually, while the network has gone downhill after 3 p.m., there is House of Mouse, which has Mickey, et al, there's a Lilo and Stich series, and as much as I hate to admit it, most of the Playhouse Disney programming is as good or better than the Sesame Street/Electric company/Mister Rogers that I grew up on.

It hasn't gone downhill. It's just a cable channel. They're all lame 80 percent of the time.
    And it's because of THAT kind of lame programming including those STUPID, hate them to death, curse them to hell lizzy and raven shows...that had caused a once great PREMIUM channel which cost $24.99 a month extra, to be turned into the lame everyday free cable channel that it is today.

• Sock Puppet

Ernest goes to Splash Mountain should've gotten an emmy. That was a classic.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by mp3piratesavvy
    They used to air some of that stuff LATE at night, back when they did that 'vault disney' stuff. BUt naturally, people liked it, so they took it out.

Yeah, that seems to be how it works with Disney, once too many people start liking something they take it out. Vault Disney was the only reason I'd watch the Disney Channel back then. It was like a brief window into the premium Disney Channel that had been extinct for years.

Back in the 80's there was a push for a fad called "Jazzercize", basically aerobics with jazz music. Disney, wanting to be modern and edgey, created a show on The Disney Channel called "Mousercise" early in the morning that imitated Jazzercize, I'm not kidding. I used to hate that show because I was just a kid and I found it boring. Then there was always a couple classic Disney films, Zorro, the Mickey Mouse Club, animated shorts and great original programming throughout the day. And by original programming, I'm not talking about Lizzie McGuire, I mean their original programming in the 1980's was phenomenal. Anyone remember "Dumbo Circus" or "You and Me, Kid"? I still have a video tape of the kids singing a rendition of "We Are the World"...man, it is so emotional to see it today because of what the "Disney Channel" (if you can truly call it that) has become today.

I miss the premium Disney Channel so much. I can still remember that blue and gray Mickey logo coming across the screen with that music playing and then the spoken: "The Disney Channel". Back then Disney didn't have commercials, they had branded bumps with this really catchy Disney Channel music. The basic cable edition is one more example of how Disney has chosen brand exposure over restrained quality.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 06-20-2005 at 12:32 PM.

• Hooterville, USA

I hold Disney to high standards and they have not delivered with their channel. Now they are just another cable show.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian

I have to agree with Ian.
    Although the Disney Channel isn't exactly what we would like it to be, I don't think are necessarily trying to the market to just th DL fan or patron. I don't really care for the programming, but my 8 year old son seems to get some enjoyment out of it, and he has been watching the Disney Channel since he 4 or 5.

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandian192
    Man I LOVED Vault Disney. Ink and Paint Club was always my favorate. Sneaking out of bed at 2 in the morning to watch quality television. Priceless...
    Exactly! I used to get up at 2 in the morning, just to go watch The Mickey Mouse Club, or Disneyland specials. Awwww.. the good ol' days. They would have specials about tommorowland, and stars would be going through-out disneyland. Then they were on the skyway, and one of the stars (don't remember who) accidentally picked up the wrong phone at the tommorowland station and started the fireworks show early. Then they rode adventures through innerspace... it was a great show!

• Freshman Member

It's kind of ironic that in the days of the 30th Anniversary specials and so forth that every 30th customer to Disneyland got a free ticket, including my little sister. In the year of the 50th Anniversary ticket prices have gone up $7.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast