• Senior Minion

A Viewliner Question

I tried searching for an answer, but was unsuccessful; if this is common knowledge, I hereby beg forgiveness.

We had recent occasion to visit the (Portland) Oregon Zoo, and while there, noticed that one of the trains they use there (to go between several parts of the zoo and, I think, the gardens) is a spitting image of the old DL Viewliner.

Does anyone know if this attraction was given/sold to the zoo when it was closed in Anaheim, or is it possible that two (or maybe even more?) of these were made at the time? Does anyone know the history on this?

Thanks!

• time to go

Re: A Viewliner Question

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    I tried searching for an answer, but was unsuccessful; if this is common knowledge, I hereby beg forgiveness.

We had recent occasion to visit the (Portland) Oregon Zoo, and while there, noticed that one of the trains they use there (to go between several parts of the zoo and, I think, the gardens) is a spitting image of the old DL Viewliner.

Does anyone know if this attraction was given/sold to the zoo when it was closed in Anaheim, or is it possible that two (or maybe even more?) of these were made at the time? Does anyone know the history on this?

Thanks!
    From the zoo's web site:

http://www.oregonzoo.org/AboutZoo/train.htm

The Zooliner
    This diesel-powered streamliner was built in 1958. A replica of General Motors’ "Aerotrain," the engine’s 165 horsepower is transmitted to eight driving wheels through a hydraulic-type torque converter transmission and spiral gears. Safety features include a "dead man control" to ease the train to a halt in an emergency. A governor holds the train to a 12-mile-per-hour maximum. A conventional automatic air brake system provides safe train handling.

From the Wikipedia Aerotrain page, about the Viewliner:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerotrain_(GM)

On June 26, 1957, the narrow-gauge Santa Fe and Disneyland Viewliner (billed by Disneyland as "the fastest miniature train in the world") commenced operation. Two separate trains, designed and built as scale replicas of the futuristic Aerotrain, traveled along a figure-eight track through parts of Tomorrowland and Fantasyland parallel to a portion of the DLRR main line. The Tomorrowland train featured cars that were named for the planets, while the cars of the Fantasyland train were named after various Disney characters.
    The modern, streamlined trains were placed into service to represent the future of rail travel, in contrast to the steam-powered DLRR which represented its past. Motive power for each train consisted of an integral head-end unit driven by an Oldsmobile "Rocket" V8 gasoline engine. Oldsmobile also furnished the windscreen, doors and instrument console for each of the two 5,000 lb (2,300 kg) locomotives. The attraction operated until September 15, 1958, when construction began on the Matterhorn and Submarine Voyage; the Disneyland Monorail System ultimately took the place of the Viewliner in June of the following year.

The two trains look similar in the photos on the web pages, but they're not quite identical.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    Pretty sure they're are not from Disneyland. Different look and power plant. But they are somewhat related. Scroll down on this page for some info on the "Zooliner":

http://www.oregonzoo.org/AboutZoo/train.htm

...and then go here for some history and comparison between Disneyland's old "Viewliner" and the Portland Zoo's "Zooliner."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerotrain_%28GM%29

Disneyland's was loosely based on the old GM Aerotrain locomotive...which turned out to be a bust in real life. Disneyland's scale model had a different body design than the real Aerotrain. The Portland Zoo's version was basically a scaled down replica of the real deal.

Edited to Add: That'll teach me to break away from constructing a post several times for phone calls. By the time I hit "Submit"...BlueSkyDriveBy beat me to the punch with most of the same info.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Edited to Add: That'll teach me to break away from constructing a post several times for phone calls. By the time I hit "Submit"...BlueSkyDriveBy beat me to the punch with most of the same info.
    Lawdy mama I've done this more times than I can count!

Posting to MC is like working air traffic control. Take your eyes off the screen for a few seconds and... well, it's not pretty.

• Closed Account

When talking about the Viewliners, you may occasionally stumble across another "Disney Legend that Refuses to Die."

That being that the DRR's Tomorrowland Station is actually the original Viewliner station, moved when the Viewliner ceased operations.

It's not.

There are several photos that show both stations in the same line-of-sight.

It seems apparent, however, that Tomorrowland Station was constructed identically to the Viewliner station, right down to the lighting stanchions and the fencing.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    When talking about the Viewliners, you may occasionally stumble across another "Disney Legend that Refuses to Die."

That being that the DRR's Tomorrowland Station is actually the original Viewliner station, moved when the Viewliner ceased operations.

It's not.

It seems apparent, however, that Tomorrowland Station was constructed identically to the Viewliner station, right down to the lighting stanchions and the fencing.
    Gotta love this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Yep. And here's one of them (Tomorrowland Station upper left):