Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

5/21 CapacityLand: DL feels crowded when it shouldn't

First off, I don't have any pictures to share, sorry 'bout that . Second, this thread is going to focus on the not-so-good parts of my visit because I want to make a point. It was great seeing peoplemover1 and MasterGracey again and hanging out on the uncovered Monorail station. So I'm not trying to say that my visit was all bad, because it wasn't. That being said...

I took my sister to DL mostly because she was itching to ride Splash Mountain since it's been a long time for the refurb. So (after taking a peek at the sub lagoon) we headed that way. We could tell as we approached by the large mob headed the opposite direction that it had broken down. A peek below, and we could see CMs helping guests out of the logs. The beginning of the line still read 20 minutes however and there was no CM there to stop many guests from unknowingly getting in a line that led to a closed attraction.

Many of those retreating guests hopped in line for the Haunted Mansion. However, we barely passed it before we saw that it was 101'd too! (Confused guests coming out of HM's exit started lining up for Splash.) So I took my sister by the hand and got out of there to avoid the bottleneck on the bridge over Pirates of the Caribbean, since the seating for the Premiere was still in the process of coming down.

While we passed through Adventureland, we saw that Indiana Jones was closed as well. Neither Indy nor Splash ever reopened for the day. (Mansion did, but we didn't venture that way again.)

We passed by Mr. Toad and saw that it was back open from its short closure, so we thought we'd try it out. Big mistake, it turned out. The line was outside, but that usually goes by soon enough. But no, it took forrrever. And we found out why when we got inside. There were only 7 cars on the line, and the dispatch time was a lot longer than usual - every 35 seconds or so. I don't need to know how many cars are usually running to know that it was underperforming. Were there cars being refurbished? Why was it open then? I say, if it can't operate close to its capacity, keep it closed until it does. No sense in inconveniencing people. If it was closed before, it can stay that way until it can handle the demand.

Once we finally exited Toad, we saw that Peter Pan had broken down too. Guests were hopping the chains all over the place.

It's a Small World had a line that stretched far past the entrance sign simply because only one side of the station was loading. A similar story in Storybook Land for Casy Jr. with its one train. Both are examples of unnecessary long lines.

Monorail Red is still struggling on its own to transport guests from Tomorrowland to the hotels. I forgive them because Monorail Purple had a little accident recently with its underside rubbing against the 'trough.' I hope Purple will get fixed up soon.

I did something I rarely ever do - I went to City Hall and complained about how some attractions are underperforming and form long lines that make a comparably slow Monday feel crowded. Breakdowns I can understand for safety reasons. But still, when the Disneyland Railroad, Tom Sawyer Pirate Lair Island, Mark Twain, Columbia, Canoes, and Tarzan's Treehouse are all under refurb, and the Subs haven't opened yet, it's hard to be understanding when the Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones and Peter Pan all break down, and then have to put up with long lines elsewhere simply because there aren't enough vehicles on the line!

I wanted to write down a "concern," but I don't think they do that anymore (you can send emails instead). The CM gave us both readmittance passes to any (Fastpass) attraction we chose. We chose Big Thunder.

Well, only one side of the station was used, and no Fastpasses were distributed. So we were directed to Big Thunder's exit and wait behind five or six handicapped parties. And behind us were several poor folks trying to use their Dream Fastpasses! I was thinking, some dream come true. Meanwhile, we saw a few trains with no guests in them, I suppose they might have been brought on the line just then. When we saw a train half full ten minutes later we decided to give up.

We used them later for Space Mountain. Thank goodness there's an attraction that, on a slow day, still has more than three trains on at once.

By the way, toward the end of the day on Monorail Red, we saw that the Tomorrowland side of the Matterhorn had 101'd.

All in all, not a very high-capacity day. We did a lot of walking, not a lot of riding.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: 5/21 CapacityLand: DL feels crowded when it shouldn't

I feel your pain. I've been there on those types of days. I'm normally there with my 5 year old son, so I try to make lemonade out of the lemons. Most of the time I'll tell him it's closed and we'll come back. No need to let him see me get frustrated.

Kids always take it so well if you tell them all the fun you will have on another ride. Again, I totally understand the annoynace 2DieFR. Chin up!

Chad

• Minion

I'm not mad about it or anything; nor am I out to attack Disney. But it does piss me off when things run far below their intended capacity. I avoid Six Flags at all costs for this very reason. A very large reason why I hold Disneyland in such high esteem is because they are usually experts at efficiency. So I do expect things to run smoothly in the park, even if the head count happens to be lower one day. There were things out of their control - the breakdowns - but simple things like running both sides of Small World's dock would have been a courtesy to us, the guests.

• is too darn hot.

Wowza. That sounds like an unfortunate set of circumstances. Perhaps Indy was broken because of the Chamber of Destiny. It's been making strange noises yesterday.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Minion

All the more reason they need to get shuttered facilities back on line... Rocket Jets, PeopleMover, Skyway, Motor Boats, Golden Horseshoe Revue, Tahitian Terrace, etc.

• Basking in birthday love

I don't think a ride should be closed if it can't operate at full capacity. The lines may be longer, but far more people get to ride if it's operating at reduced capacity than if the ride isn't operating at all. On a slow day, we're simply not going to be staffed to operate at a terribly high capacity. That means that if big attractions like Indy and Splash go down, the other rides feel the crunch. (The line for Jungle rarely exceeds 15 minutes, ad usually only when Indy goes down.) It's bad luck, but it happens.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

•   
    • Senior Minion

Makes you desperate enough to try DCA.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    All the more reason they need to get shuttered facilities back on line... Rocket Jets, PeopleMover, Skyway, Motor Boats, Golden Horseshoe Revue, Tahitian Terrace, etc.
    Rocket Jets isn't shuttered, it's gone. Same with Skyway, Motorboats, PeopleMover, etc. Golden Horseshoe hosts Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, a very popular show that does a good job of getting people off the streets of Frontierland.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    Makes you desperate enough to try DCA.
    Funny you should mention that. Mom went to DCA on Friday, and Grizzly River Run was closed for most of the day, and Mulholland Madness broke down in the morning. So then she tried Jumpin' Jellyfish, but it broke down with people stranded at the top (funny to watch ) for about 15 minutes or so. Then it got windy so the Golden Zephyr closed. So all that was left in Paradise Pier was the Orange Stinger and King Triton's Carousel because Kimberly is not tall enough for the Maliboomer, and California Screamin' did not open until 1 p.m.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Funny you should mention that. Mom went to DCA on Friday, and Grizzly River Run was closed for most of the day, and Mulholland Madness broke down in the morning. So then she tried Jumpin' Jellyfish, but it broke down with people stranded at the top (funny to watch ) for about 15 minutes or so. Then it got windy so the Golden Zephyr closed. So all that was left in Paradise Pier was the Orange Stinger and King Triton's Carousel because Kimberly is not tall enough for the Maliboomer, and California Screamin' did not open until 1 p.m.
    Sounds like a day to curl up with an Irish coffee at the Cove Bar and gaze at the lagoon for a bit.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Oh man! What a weekend you all had!

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Rocket Jets isn't shuttered, it's gone. Same with Skyway, Motorboats, PeopleMover, etc. Golden Horseshoe hosts Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, a very popular show that does a good job of getting people off the streets of Frontierland.
    Aladdin's Oasis also plays to packed houses. And technically, Rocket Jets is just blocking the entrance to Tomorrowland with all that bronze crap on top of it. It would be nice to have some small, reliable, NEW attractions, though, to eat up the crowds.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    Aladdin's Oasis also plays to packed houses. And technically, Rocket Jets is just blocking the entrance to Tomorrowland with all that bronze crap on top of it. It would be nice to have some small, reliable, NEW attractions, though, to eat up the crowds.
    From what I've heard the Orbitron contains the original Rocket Jets mechanism. The Astro Orbitor is new machinery. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    Aladdin's Oasis also plays to packed houses.
    True, but oftentimes you are greeted with Sorry, no performances today on weekdays. I didn't see if that was the case today.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    From what I've heard the Orbitron contains the original Rocket Jets mechanism. The Astro Orbitor is new machinery. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard.
    *cough*Tony Baxter made it that way on purpose*cough*
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast