Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm listening.

Cast Members: What is policy regarding posting in public forums?

I notice quite a few cast members posting on these and other forums related to the park.

I know most employers probably wouldn't be too excited if their employees were revealing details about the inside operations of their workplaces.

What is Disney's policy regarding talking about your job in such an environment?

Have any cast members ever been confronted about their online activities one
    way or another?
    Last edited by milo; 05-23-2007 at 10:30 PM.

• I'm not really here

Re: Cast Members: What is policy regarding posting in public forums?

I'm not a cast member.

But in all my many months here, I don't think I've ever really seen a cast member talk about the inner workings ever. Mainly just about their experiences as a cast member. Where they work, what they do, what they enjoy etc. And to my knowledge, I haven't ever seen gripes or complaints from them either, which I think is awesome.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I'm not a cast member.

But in all my many months here, I don't think I've ever really seen a cast member talk about the inner workings ever.
    This seems pretty inner-workings to me:

Just to add my two cents to the story, first, the OE's never polish the locomotives and if the locomotives are polished it is only at night. Now once and a while when the OE's are hosteling the locomotives in the morning, water gets puked on the jacket from the pump clearing its throat and not being fully warmed up.
    When the crew jumps on in the morning one of the first things done is to walk the locomotive and train to insure there is no obstructions and that everything is hooked up. It is at this time the condition of the locomotive is assesed and if there is water on the jacket and the loco isn't looking good, then a quick wipe down is in order. But once the crew (Engineer and Firer) come online there is only ten to fifteen minutes to get the locomotive up to pressure, checked and ready to go!
    The Fireman will check the stack and if necessary remove the stack cover and the yellow reminder pipe attached to the blower pipe.
    Next the Fireman will climb onto the tender and first check the fuel level, next the toolbox for the wicks, flashlight, lighter, fire extingiusher, and the bottles of chemicals.
    Next the Fireman then takes one of the bottles of chems and checks the water level to insure the water is full if not he will let the Engineer know and water can be added in the Roundhouse or added at New Orleans. The bottle of chems is then added to the water and is added every two hours when the water is replenished.
    The Engineer will be checking the saftey board to see if there are any lockout tagouts on his train letting him know that someone is working on his train or in harms way. He will also check the white board on the wall for conditions or messages about the condition of his train or locomotive and see if the OE's have left special instructions he would need to follow.
    So around this time the Fireman or Firer will have completed his checks and will have opened the fuel shutoff valve and closed the airtank petcocks checked the sand dome for sand and now is ready to light off the engine.
    Now, the OE's hostel the locomotive and that includes everything the Steve mentioned along with preparing the Hydrostatic Lubricator and the Mechanical Lubricator. The Engineer and Firer don't do this anymore to save us from ourselves, we really aren't awake at that time in the morning.
    Now the Firer will open the Main Turret valve, blowdown the water site glass to insure that the water level showing in the glass is correct and then call out "Hot Stuff" and then starts the blower and we're off.
    So I guess I added alittle more than my two cents worth but everyone seems to appreciate the insite to the going ons of the Roundhouse and so I have a unique vantage point and am willing to share what I have seen and experienced.
    And in response to the question of which engine will make the Railfan Days in 2008 it should be the Fred Gurley fresh from the rehab.

• DL Nerd

ya know I was wondering this too....

And If Mice chat was the more popular forum with CM's

• I'm not really here

Well, like I said Steve, I've never seen it. Didn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I hadn't seen it. =D There was a few months when I didn't visit that often cause life got way to busy. Sorry for the confusion in my post.

I'm sure Disney isn't pleased with that, but unless a non-disclosure agreement that is pretty well written is signed by CMs upon hiring, then Disney really can't do a lot about what they say outside of on-shift time. Though I'm sure Disney isn't to happy about it. I wouldn't be. Which is why I really respect those that do work there, have their problems with things I'm sure, and still manage to present a positive face even when they aren't working.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Anything backstage and things that are meant to be CM knowledge only is regarded as confidential and should not be discussed in print or even verbally. (doesn't mean it never happens).

Also probably bad to talk bad or complain about your company and/or department as well.

But I don't think there's a rule against CM's having lives and enjoying their passion with others. CMs though definitely have more weight on their shoulders though and should constantly act, talk, and behave as if they were representing Disney.... when on a Disney discussion site.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Shubisha

A general guideline is pretty much don't say anything the publically doesn't already know, don't corrupt the position of the company while representing the company, and don't be shown in video/pictures doing something not in your script.

A better guideline is: Don't give them a bad reason to fire you.

• That Guy

I don't see how the train info is secret? It is interesting I guess, if you're a train person, but it doesn't read inflamatory to me. It also doesn't appear to give any trade secrets, and train technology isn't the newest... If anything, it makes me respect the CMs even more, for all the extra work that gets done.

I think it is cool to get a behind the scenes view. I think most CMs here are savvy enough to not post sketchy things, or if they do, not to use their names.

• Pilot EdForceOne

trade secret or not.. many companies have policies limiting employee participation in discussion forums, etc. Mainly because an employee (regardless of disclaimers or not) will always be a representation of the company. Plus, it's much easier to decide what is allowed or not if you don't allow it at all

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I'm sure Disney isn't pleased with that, but unless a non-disclosure agreement that is pretty well written is signed by CMs upon hiring, then Disney really can't do a lot about what they say outside of on-shift time.
    A Well Written Non-Disclosure Agreement, IS given to new hires from any department when they start working for the company...
    This is why I only talk about stuff that is common knowledge.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1985 View Post
    A Well Written Non-Disclosure Agreement, IS given to new hires from any department when they start working for the company...
    This is why I only talk about stuff that is common knowledge.

I THINK more than anything, you hear the "secrets" while in the park or face to face than on the board.
    CM's are smart. If it's in writing it easier to get in trouble.
    Verbal is harder to punish.

At the same time, as much as we like to hear inside items, we would never want a CM to get in trouble just to cure our curiosity.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

There are policies regarding it, Disney does monitor them, and cm's have been reprimanded. You just have to be smart about what you say. I never give out info I know is only meant for cm ears....

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by kriskitty22 View Post
    There are policies regarding it, Disney does monitor them, and cm's have been reprimanded. You just have to be smart about what you say. I never give out info I know is only meant for cm ears....
    Nope, that info is saved for SOs...

Just kidding. I can never get anything out of my girlfriend.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    I know most employers probably wouldn't be too excited if their empoyees were revealing details about the inside operations of their workplaces.
    This reminded me about the featured topic in the March issue of WIRED magazine, which was radical transparency. Here's the logline from the mag:

Smart companies are sharing secrets with rivals, blogging about products in their pipeline, even admitting to their failures. The name of this new game is RADICAL TRANSPARENCY, and it's sweeping boardrooms across the nation. Even those Office drones at Dunder Mifflin get it. So strip down and learn how to have it all by baring it all.

There was a great case study article about how Microsoft is one of the leading businesses that embraces this concept. According to the article--which is still available on Wired.com--Microsoft has more than 4500 employees who are blogging on all sorts of topics. Most of the blogs are unedited and posted without oversight. The case study focuses on a company supported website called Channel 9, which features video interviews and posts from Microsoft employees that are not scrubbed by PR, marketing or legal folks. It makes for a fascinating read.

Disney and other large businesses might benefit from embracing some transparency. Relaxing draconian policies regarding posting messages on discussion boards would be a step in this direction. At the same time, CMs should exercise some discretion on what they post about. Believe me, I love hearing about stuff that happens backstage and find Al's updates very, very interesting. At the same time, there's probably some information that the company would want to remain for internal eyes only and I would respect that. Still, the concept is an intriguing one. If Microsoft is doing it, perhaps there's something in the idea of transparency for Disney to try.

• Shubisha

Actually there was a whole issue about microsoft firing its employees who blog things. One employee posted pictures when a ups delivery truck arrived to their office with a truckload of g5 powermacs they'd purchased and posted it on their blog. In this case it wasn't even a company trade secret or anything, and sure people would poke fun at it but it really wasn't a big deal. But he was fired after company internet watchdogs saw it and tracked down his employee info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast