Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

PHOTO UPDATE 5/24: Pirate's Lair almost ready, Backwards Subs, +MORE

WELCOME TO DISNEYLAND!
    On days when Disney is hosting Grad Nites, the Mickey & Friends trams are only running for 30 minutes after park closing.

Floral Mickey got re-planted.

Main Street is decked out in its Americana garb for Memorial Day weekend.

FINISHING PIRATE'S LAIR
    Work around the Island was frantically coming to a close. Lots of suits were walking around, especially on the front of the Island.

The new "Lafitte's Tavern" signage:

The new restrooms across from the Columbia/Mark Twain dock has some themeing on the side of it now:

Over on the west side of the Island...
    Fort Wilderness has construction walls around it now... They must be getting ready for demolition...

And a look at the Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island dock:

Next to that sign theres a tresure chest prop:

The little sign is themed to Tom Sawyer...

Workin' on something..

This area is stroller parking (note the small sign)... Seems poorly-placed if they're planning to have big lines for this...

The dock with its marquee lighting on:

The lightposts along the River have returned after the Pirates Premiere set up was taken down. The speakers are still missing, though...

A duck was sleeping atop the Frontierland sign around sunset.

BACKWARDS SUBS

Paint damage:

This rock has looked like this for a while now... when's it going to be fully repaired?

The seagulls seem to be yelping "MINE!" regularly now...
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bB_x_Bi3Lc[/youtube]

The Subs were doing something interesting today... After travelling through the lagoon, before coming to the cave entrance, they'd stop.. sit for a while, and then start backing up. I'm not sure if there was something going on prohibiting them from entering the cave... or if this was just training for evacuation proceedures.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvC3JtJRhy4[/youtube]

The smoking area over by the Tomorrowland side of the Matterhorn has been moved over near the Tomorrowland Railroad Station. I'm guessing Disney is trying to get regular visitors to get out of the habit of smoking there, as this area will be used for Sub queue once the attraction opens.

Alllllright... that's it for today. I'm hoping to get a full Pirate's Lair photo tour done tomorrow along with a side trip in photos to the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood for Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. See you tomorrow

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Hola!

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 5/24: Pirate's Lair almost ready, Backwards Subs, +MORE

Great photos! I love the treasure chest with the homage to TSI.

Great photos there! I like the nailed-on Pirate's Lair sign.
    On another note, Pirate's Lair seems to contradict the "no posessive" nature of the park (aside from Fantasyland.) It's still Tom Sawyer Island, Sleeping Beauty Castle, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters...

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    WELCOME TO DISNEYLAND!

Maybe its just me but this disturbs me that they simply tacked on a Pirate's Lair sign over the old one and you can still see the Tom Sawyer letters behind it. Looks a bit sloppy to me. Is it suspose to look like the pirates just randomly took over the island?

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Goofy

nice photos.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Maybe its just me but this disturbs me that they simply tacked on a Pirate's Lair sign over the old one and you can still see the Tom Sawyer letters behind it. Looks a bit sloppy to me. Is it suspose to look like the pirates just randomly took over the island?
    Yes, that's sort of what its supposed to look like.

The entire story/theme of the Island is really a wreck from what I can tell. Press releases, some articles, and physical visible evidence at the dock and from across the River says different things. Sometimes it seems like the Island has been taken over - other times, it seems like you're entering the world of Tom and Huck still, but while they pretend they're pirates.

From what I can tell, the theming is really schitzophrenic - it can't decide if its Jack Sparrow & Crew taking over the Island.... or if Tom and Huck are imagining all of these Pirate goodies - and you're living their daydreams.

But the tacked-on sign, and the propped-up "Pirate's Lair" mast over the "Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island" marquee is intended to appear as though pirates have taken over and they've claimed TSI as Pirate's Lair. The treasure chest with the note from Tom, Huck & Joe, on the other hand, implies that you're living Tom and friends' daydream with them.

Are you confused? Cause I think the Island is as well.

| | |

• Banned User

Outstanding photos!!!

• Senior Minion

Great photos, but I think they should just stop calling it Pirate's Lair @ Tom Sawyer Island and just call it Pirate's Liar.

• Banned User

I thought Joe was a badguy...why would the treasure say "For Tom, Huck, & Joe" ? Isn't that why the cave used to be called Injun Joe's cave..because it was supposed to be EVIL?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    I thought Joe was a badguy...why would the treasure say "For Tom, Huck, & Joe" ? Isn't that why the cave used to be called Injun Joe's cave..because it was supposed to be EVIL?
    Yeah Injun Joe definately wasn't a good guy... From Wikipedia:

Injun Joe is a half Native American, half white man. He was horsewhipped by Judge Douglas for vagrancy, and this led to a lifelong burning for revenge against the Judge, and later on, his widow. Injun Joe uncovers loot in a haunted house and buries it in a cave; however, around the same time, Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher are trapped in the cave but soon rescued, leading to the entrance to the cave being sealed and Injun Joe being trapped inside, where he dies.
    Injun Joe had, by the time of his death, planned or carried out several crimes. The first that Tom Sawyer witnessed was the murder of Dr. Robinson and the framing of Muff Potter. Following this, Huck Finn overhears Injun Joe plotting the mutilation of Widow Douglas. Huck sounds the alarm, but Injun Joe escapes. There is evidence of other crimes that is not clarified; the fact that there is a "Number Two" home for Injun Joe and that he keeps it secret hints that he also a thief and/or a conspirator.
    The story is memorialized by a tame version of Injun Joe's Cave on Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland.
    It can be presumed that Injun Joe was based on Joe Douglas, a 1/2 Black, 1/2 Osage Indian who lived in the Hannibal, Missouri area, dying in 1923 at the age of 102 "from ptomaine poisoning from pickled pig's feet," or so the story goes.
    Douglas, while never identified by Mark Twain, must have been a fright to all of the town's children who had been reared on horror stories of Indian brutality and slave uprisings, for not only was Douglas half Indian and half Black but he was also a giant, his face scarred by smallpox, and he wore a red wig covering a bald head.
    But the truth is that he was a property owner who was neither dishonorable nor murderous. He lived a long life and died respectably.

Perhaps this is just another instance of Disney sterilizing the source material for their family audiences... in this case, the Tom Sawyer characters. Or perhaps its a case of current Imagineers knowing nothing about their source material.

I'm betting on the latter.

| | |

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Brillant Post. I see they just put a Pirates Lair sign over Tom Sawyer's writing on the main sign.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Brillant Post. I see they just put a Pirates Lair sign over Tom Sawyer's writing on the main sign.
    No, actually, the entire marquee is new. The "Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island" overhead sign is brand new, and was built purposely to be covered up by the Pirate's Lair mast.

I believe the smaller "Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island" sign that has the "Pirate's Lair" sign "tacked on" is new as well, but similar to what was there before.

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    They are not referring to Injun Joe but Joe Harper who was a friend of Tom Sawyer.Joseph (Joe) Harper is Tom Sawyer's friend in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and joins Tom on some of his adventures. He becomes a pirate with Tom and Huck, when they ran away from home. He has a sister, Susy Harper, and is considered a "bosom friend."

• Beep Beep!

Great video of the subs!
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

What DCA guy said above. This is from the all knowing Wikipedia:

Tom Sawyer, a mischievous redheaded orphan taken in by his Aunt Polly, goes through a series of adventures involving his friends, Joe Harper and Huckleberry Finn. Tom is an escape master, and a professional trickster. He escapes punishment many times by his tricks. Though he is often foolish and unpredictable, he also is somewhat smart and has a good sense of humor. When not trying to win his sweetheart, Becky Thatcher, Tom is either getting into mischief or going on an adventure. Many times, Tom suddenly changes from his grinning self into a fearsome pirate or Indian. His laugh changes into a bloodcurdling yell or a barking captain's voice. Tom Sawyer's main doings are racing bugs, impressing girls with fights and stunts in the schoolyard, getting lost in a cave, and playing pirates on the Mississippi River. The best-known passage in the book describes how Sawyer persuades his friends to white-wash, or paint, a long fence for him. In this book, Mark Twain is trying to depict the fun of manhood.
    One of the Wikipedia authors must work for Disney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast