Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Let There Be LIGHTS!

Hi everyone! Just a quick question -- For many decades, Disneyland was known for its policy of replacing its light bulbs before they completely burned out, so as never to distract from the show. Of course the mid-90's Pressler-era ruined all that, but when Matt Outimet took over in 03 and brought such wonderful changes with him, I thought that keeping up on the resort's bulbs would be a priority again.

Yet, to this day, I see lots of empty spaces where lights should be glowing, from Main St, to Tomorowland to Downtown Disney. A view of the Paradise Pier at night last Xmas was in such bad shape it was almost like playing "connect the empty spots." (By the way, has the Golden Zephyr ever had all its lights working?) It's especially noticeable on special buildings that we're used to staring like the Main St Train Station or the Fire House.

In the grand scheme, it may be a small thing, but isn't this an example of what Kevin Yee would call "decling by degrees?" Disneyland may not be able to maintain their old policy of catching lights before the burn out due to the increased size of the resort now, but shouldn't they at least keep up on lights that have burned out already?

Any thoughts? Does anyone actually know what the current policies are? Just wondering... Oh...and PLEASE, no "stop whining, just stay home then" kind of posts, OK?

Re: Let There Be LIGHTS!

Hmmm .... back in the summer of 1992 when I worked as a sweeper, I seem to remember that burnt out bulbs were replaced each evening. It seems like it would be wasteful to replace them before they go out. However, if they are checked each night, that would minimize the number out at any given time. Not sure what the current policy is.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Lover View Post
    Disneyland was known for its policy of replacing its light bulbs before they completely burned out
    As opposed to partially burned out?

Seriously though, I have two comments on this.

First, the whole light bulb story itself seems to be more legend than anything else in my opinion. I too, heard my entire childhood that Disney would replace the burnt out light bulbs each night after park closing. It's a story that many have perpetuated over the years. This is the first time I have ever heard someone say that they replaced them BEFORE they burned out. I am not knocking you on your comment when I say this, but this story which paints Disney in the light of being utter perfectionists seems a little to grand to be real -- it's growing to legendary proportions in my mind. :-)

However... all that said, I think that burnt out light bulbs are one of the most OBVIOUS, and yet simple to fix, detractors of "good show". I hope that Disney never neglects these for too long.
    Ryborg

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    As opposed to partially burned out?

Seriously though, I have two comments on this.

First, the whole light bulb story itself seems to be more legend than anything else in my opinion. I too, heard my entire childhood that Disney would replace the burnt out light bulbs each night after park closing. It's a story that many have perpetuated over the years. This is the first time I have ever heard someone say that they replaced them BEFORE they burned out. I am not knocking you on your comment when I say this, but this story which paints Disney in the light of being utter perfectionists seems a little to grand to be real -- it's growing to legendary proportions in my mind. :-)

However... all that said, I think that burnt out light bulbs are one of the most OBVIOUS, and yet simple to fix, detractors of "good show". I hope that Disney never neglects these for too long.
    I actually read this in Disneyland: Inside Story. The Maintenance department knew roughly the life span of the bulbs they were using, and when they got to about 80% they would replace them. This was in a Disney published book so take that for what it's worth.

Doug
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

• That Guy

Wow, what a tremendous waste of resources, money, and bulbs.

I am all about good show, but I am more about good environment, and this seems pretty anti-green, if this policy is real.

Yikes.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post

I am all about good show, but I am more about good environment, and this seems pretty anti-green, if this policy is real.

Yikes.
    1. So, you're not driving to DL anymore from AZ?
    2. Someone pays for DL to look nice all the time. Well, that was the theory back then.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Quality not quantity

I would expect this to become less of an issue as the change is made to CFL, LED and OLED light sources. They all have a much higher life expectancy.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    1. So, you're not driving to DL anymore from AZ?
    2. Someone pays for DL to look nice all the time. Well, that was the theory back then.

I am not driving a lightbulb to DLR.

I am pleased DLR looks nice all the time, I don't think bulbs need to be changed before they are dead.

Currently, bulbs are replaced when they burn out. Bulbs are being replaced on a nightly basis. The facilities department has a number of "lampers" doing this, however, they are qualified electricians and are also called upon for more critical things.

As an example of how a typical night goes, the lamper may concentrate on N.O.S. He will first change the bulbs for which he has a specific work order to do so. Those work orders are generated by location managers. After that, if time permits, he will check other stores and area lights for bulbs that need replacing and do them without a work order. At the same time he may also have work orders for other things such as the installation of new lighting or the repair of an electrical fixture. The following night the process is repeated in another area.

Keep in mind that the facilities budget does not allow for an army of lampers that can go out each and every night and replace every burned out bulb at the resort. Also, some locations, Greetings From California for example, require a manlift to get to some of the lights. Other places, Main Street for example, require a cherry-picker equipped truck and at times, depending on what's happening on a particular night, there is no room for that vehicle to work.

I find it interesting being able to see how these things get done.

Yikes.
    I don't believe the lights were thrown away. I believe they were kept and used in backstage areas until they burned out.
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

• Banned User

So you hippies are ruining our Main St! Get a haircut!

• Off to Neverland

Me and my friends like to look for the dead bulbs on the building during Small World Holiday

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I agree. Burned out lightbulbs do distract from the show. Every single lightbulbed place should be checked nightly.

Burned-out bulbs look horrible in pictures, too.

Part of the problem is that the company is required to use professional electricians to replace light bulbs as a stipulation of the applicable union contract, so the staff at a particular location is unable to change their own lights when it might be most convenient for said staff to do so.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Lover View Post
    Hi everyone! Just a quick question -- For many decades, Disneyland was known for its policy of replacing its light bulbs before they completely burned out, so as never to distract from the show....
    ...Disneyland may not be able to maintain their old policy of catching lights before the burn out...

Yikes.
    Having a policy of relamping en mass prior to general failure is not a waste nor is it less green if the relamping program is done correctly. Working in traffic signals for umpteen dozen years, I have participated in a traffic signal relamping program that is effective and efficient. The bulbs have a lifespan rating measured in (thousands of) hours, and what this translates into is average use - about 75% will fail within 2 years. In 18 months the failure curve starts to look exponential. By having a program that takes an entire intersection (or groups of intersections) and replaces every bulb at an approximate 18 month interval, the individual call-out to replace bulbs, often on overtime, is drastically reduced. The labor is the most significant cost and that is a huge reduction. The number of extra bulbs purchased under such a program were trivial, and the cost was much less than the labor. So - replacing bulbs before they burn out (or shortly after the replacement rate is greater than background noise) can be very cost effective.

Now about being green... First off - using regular incandescent bulbs in the first place is not green. They are not recyclable (yet) and have a short average lifespan. The bulbs that were replaced in the relamping program were given away to just about anyone who could carry them off. They still had on average about a six month lifespan outdoors switching on and off regularly (hundreds of cycles per day). For indoors use where they only come on at night and off during the day (one cycle), the used bulb lifespan could be greater than a year. People loved them for porch lights and for their garage worklights. The price was right for them (free), and for us as that were fewer to dispose of (at a cost). Now for the green part. A few years back traffic signals started using LED's. LED's are slightly more green to manufacture and dispose of than incandescent bulbs. Where they shine (attempt at humor there) is in energy consumption. They consume between 10% and 30% of the electricity that incandescent does. A 70 to 90 percent reduction in energy cost is huge. The problem was their cost. Initially the LED modules cost about 100 times that of an incandescent bulb, but would last 5 times as long minimum. Factor in the energy savings and they were a wash for the first generation. Today the cost of the LED module is greatly reduced thanks to mass production, and economies of scale. They pay for themselves now in about a year and a half. So the change over is both green form an a manufacturing/consuming side, and from an energy reduction side. They quite literally save us tens of thousands of dollars in energy.

So - back to the point. Replacing bulbs before they burn out can be significantly cheaper than replacing only the burned out ones, and slightly greener depending on how the program is managed.

Sorry for the long boring post...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast