Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Future Imagineer!!

Re: Does Disney 'overdo' things???

I kind of agree with the over hype of the Princess' and maybe the over hype of POTC...but they make money and then can give us our ride refurbs...and anyway...its the DISNEY store and DISNEYland....so of course there will be disney things everywhere....

and while im kinda over pixar too...they need them...and the two together really do work welll

• Minion

It's not done until it's overdone.

• Closed Account

I don't really mind the overmerchandising of some things. I agree with the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" thing.

What does bother me is making permanent changes to classic elements of the park based on what is popular at the moment. So yes, I believe that lately Disney has been overdoing it a little on some things, and will probably continue to do so.

What needs to happen to change this is for Disney to come out with a new and succesful ride that is not based on a movie, to prove that it is possible to make something popular in and of itself, rather than banking on the popularity of an old idea.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

According to my daughters:

Old and Busted: Disney Princesses
    New Hotness: Disney Faeries
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Defying gravity

I think that once reason that Disney is said to "overdo" things is because they want to take advantage of hugely popular franchises. People love Nemo, people love Pirates....Disney is just giving the people what they want.

• Tic Tac?

Thanks for looking that up, but I am still sick of Cars. Sorry.

Mayor Lurkey rocks!

• Sock Puppet

Disney tends to milk everything until its dead....

Pirates, Lion King, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Princesses, Disneyland year promotions

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by squashandstretch View Post
    They think if it worked once it will work 100 more times.
    the only flaw in your statement is the word think, they know it will work 100 times more.
    Last edited by tahoebob54; 05-27-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I totally agree Disney overdoes it with some things... especially the princess & pirates stuff. Not every little girl likes princesses (I never did) and not every little boy likes pirates. But the majority does do Disney will milk its little cash cow for every penny they can get. In the end it turns into total buzzkill for a lot of people though.

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    As far as animation is concerned, what was the last really big Disney film that wasn't from Pixar? I think you'd have to go back to The Lion King for the answer (unless I'm having a huge mind-block).
    Huge mind block indeed. That last really big Disney film not from Pixar was POTC: At World's End. You may have heard of it.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Short term "quarter to quarter" business thinking permeates the company. Look at TV. "Millionaire" was overrun several times a week and burn't out. "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" are in the saturation point now and slipping. "Pooh" is another one. Lindsay Lohan beat the company to it.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• I'm not really here

Name me a major studio, theme park company, restaurant chain, store chain that doesn't?

Have you seen just a few items of Shrek lying around stores lately? No, they are bloody everywhere! Same with Spiderman. It's called business and it isn't just Disney that does it. It is the business mentality of today and do you want to know whose fault it is? Don't hate me, but it is our fault. Ever notice the type of tv shows we tend to watch? The kind where you don't have to think about any sort of complex plot. Ever notice that our kids want shorter and faster cartoons? Less depth and more action? Ever notice that if you have to wait more than 2 minutes at a traffic light you start getting impatient? Welcome to the generation of "Now now now" and "mine mine mine." How many people on the POTC:AWE thread commented that the story was to complex? It wasn't much more than a decade ago that ALL shows, both big and small screen had much more complex stories and plots. TV shows these days have a 30 minute or 1 hour plot. There is no real grand, over-arching theme to the show itself. Just a one episode long plot that is over. Growing up you had to watch shows to understand the plotline that went under it all. Some of the really big tv dramas are doing this (Lost, Heros) but they are a minority. Movies as well are getting simpler and simpler and require less thought. Personally, I love a movie that is dense enough that you have to see it again and again and you have to think it through and digest it. It took me a good nights sleep on it and another whole day of thinking it through before I really decided I liked At World's End because it was beautifully written and had so many story threads. It was true to how life is. Life is not simple. Though through our entertainment choices we are making it more simple. And as we support that, it changes the business model and the suits high up that make the choices about what we get understand that we want the cheap thrill and so they give it to us in a flood. Even Disney did this with movies like Home on the Range etc. Pixar never gave in to this. Their stories may be simple as they are primarily geared towards children, but they deal with complex, real world problems such as when do you let your children grow up a bit? When do you need to pay attention to those around you more than yourself? Can you see the good in others instead of simply the monster? Do even the smallest among us have value to the society as a whole?

If you want less market flooding, don't support it and pass that on. Don't see the movies that are cheap and just a quick fix. Don't watch the shows that follow that mentality. Change the direction society is going in and you change what the people in charge think about us as people and what we might just want.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by wave789 View Post
    Huge mind block indeed. That last really big Disney film not from Pixar was POTC: At World's End. You may have heard of it.
    yeah, but he/she was speaking of animation.

• I may be nutz...but...

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    You guys amaze me sometimes -- "I'm really sick of Pixar." If not for Pixar, the Disney Corp. would be in big time trouble. As far as animation is concerned, what was the last really big Disney film that wasn't from Pixar? I think you'd have to go back to The Lion King for the answer (unless I'm having a huge mind-block). Pixar is Disney's salvation. Do they have an overabundance of product? Sure, but so did Walt in Mickey's heyday. It's the money from products such as these that help pay for blockbusters like Pirates and new rides and new parks and more resorts, blah, blah, blah. I repeat, I love Pixar.
    How about Pixar Park? Do you love Pixar Park, AKA Disney California Adventure? I can think of two adventures I like over there, Soarin' and Grizzly River Run, and these resemble most of the old school Disney thinking. The rest of the Park...? They could level it and I would not miss it, it is mostly Pixar and cheesy Coney Island carnival! Quite frankly, Pixar has taken away from the originality of the old style animation that made Disney so special. True, it has put bundles of dough in Disney's coffers, but what about really getting back to what Disney was about, let's see some action on the old movies and some real forward thinking marketing of the Old school attractions and Park. Why make everything for "the kids today"? As has been said, many of us won't or cannot ride those thrill rides. Too hard on the old bones and the boomers who grew up with Disneyland are getting a bit disgusted with every new adventure being a thrill ride that they don't want to go on or cannot go on. Let the Imagineers do what they are really hired for, USE THEIR IMAGINATION, not just copy the latest corkscrew roller coaster or build a taller drop ride. I would like to see some really cool Disney adventures take over DCA, maybe bring back some of the one's we miss so much, Trip through Inner Space, updated for today's world, the skyway, better engineered, the old 360 degree theatre with some great new film or bring back America the Beautiful. We could use a patriotic shot in the arm right now. That movie was gorgeous and showed everyone this beautiful country we live in. NO, we get Chicken Little, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc., A Bugs Life and a seedy Hollywood Backlot, as well as a carny atmosphere which Walt was loathe to put in his park. He said he would NEVER put a Ferris Wheel in Disneyland and when Eisner tried it in the Hub, it failed miserably. So what did they do? They stuck a thrill version of the Ferris wheel in Pixar Park. Sorry, but Walt would NOT like that. Check David Koenig's books for the exact quote and story. It is there. Walt built Disneyland so it would NOT be like other parks and now they are trying to shove this Pixar stuff down our throats as much as they are the Pirates and the Princesses. Nemo IS next with the new ride! I like both Pirates and the Princesses, but I AM getting sick of it.
    So yes, Disney Marketing does overdo everything, to squeeze the last penny out of you. I have a Tee-shirt that says it all. It has a picture of Sleeping Beauty Castle on it, not a photo, but a drawing, and beneath it says in the famous Disney Font, "World Domination" That about sums it up for me. Yet, still I go back to the parks to catch that same lump in my throat I had the first time I saw Disneyland, to relive all those glorious memories and make some new ones. It still holds that same Disney Magic if I overlook all the merchandising thrown at me and just enjoy a day in the park. I LOVE Disneyland and WDW even , I just have to remember why I am there, to HAVE FUN!!!!!!
    Susa

• I may be nutz...but...

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Name me a major studio, theme park company, restaurant chain, store chain that doesn't?

Have you seen just a few items of Shrek lying around stores lately? No, they are bloody everywhere! Same with Spiderman. It's called business and it isn't just Disney that does it. It is the business mentality of today and do you want to know whose fault it is? Don't hate me, but it is our fault. Ever notice the type of tv shows we tend to watch? The kind where you don't have to think about any sort of complex plot. Ever notice that our kids want shorter and faster cartoons? Less depth and more action? Ever notice that if you have to wait more than 2 minutes at a traffic light you start getting impatient? Welcome to the generation of "Now now now" and "mine mine mine." How many people on the POTC:AWE thread commented that the story was to complex? It wasn't much more than a decade ago that ALL shows, both big and small screen had much more complex stories and plots. TV shows these days have a 30 minute or 1 hour plot. There is no real grand, over-arching theme to the show itself. Just a one episode long plot that is over. Growing up you had to watch shows to understand the plotline that went under it all. Some of the really big tv dramas are doing this (Lost, Heros) but they are a minority. Movies as well are getting simpler and simpler and require less thought. Personally, I love a movie that is dense enough that you have to see it again and again and you have to think it through and digest it. It took me a good nights sleep on it and another whole day of thinking it through before I really decided I liked At World's End because it was beautifully written and had so many story threads. It was true to how life is. Life is not simple. Though through our entertainment choices we are making it more simple. And as we support that, it changes the business model and the suits high up that make the choices about what we get understand that we want the cheap thrill and so they give it to us in a flood. Even Disney did this with movies like Home on the Range etc. Pixar never gave in to this. Their stories may be simple as they are primarily geared towards children, but they deal with complex, real world problems such as when do you let your children grow up a bit? When do you need to pay attention to those around you more than yourself? Can you see the good in others instead of simply the monster? Do even the smallest among us have value to the society as a whole?

If you want less market flooding, don't support it and pass that on. Don't see the movies that are cheap and just a quick fix. Don't watch the shows that follow that mentality. Change the direction society is going in and you change what the people in charge think about us as people and what we might just want.
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!
    susa

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast