Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• no flash photography...

Re: Does Disney 'overdo' things???

Quote Originally Posted by Susabelle View Post
    I
    F
    One other thought, if Disney wanted to make a bundle of money they would start to make clothing in "plus" sizes. The clothes you can find in the shops are usually for tweens and ultra skinny tiny little girls.
    I would be happy if they just used true sizing. In any other store I wear a large and rarely an extra large, but the larges in DL are like a small in regular stores.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I would be happy if they just used true sizing. In any other store I wear a large and rarely an extra large, but the larges in DL are like a small in regular stores.
    Hah, ain't that the truth? I may not be in the plus size range, but I'm an F cup...very difficult to find some things to fit me right.

Susabelle, I totally agree with you on so many of those things you listed. Unfortunately, with the Belle dress, the official adult one Disney makes doesn't look all that nice at all...it seems that whoever creates this stuff works harder on the little girl merch. Just because we're not 5 anymore doesn't mean we've lost our love for Disney! Actually, issues like this have pushed me into making my own Disney clothes. I'm not kidding you. Iron-ons are my friend...and it's a good thing that I'm an artist, too. I'll probably make my own Aurora blue costume for Halloween this year.

The make-your-own stuff they have doesn't really suit me. I don't like how the images they have for the characters aren't in their classic animation...I like vintage, not what Disney sees as "hip". That's why I love shopping Disney Couture at Hot Topic.

I don't know how big the sizes actually run at Torrid, but they carry Disney Couture stuff there as well...you should check them out! Unfortunately the company doesn't want to make Beauty and the Beast merch...if you write them a letter about how you feel, though, you'll get a response pretty fast and maybe they'll reconsider!

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    You know what still gets me? That after the whole refurb of Pirates of the Caribbean, that Jerry Bruckheimer wouldn't allow Disney to use the name "Black Pearl" on the ship in the battle scene on the attraction - yet he can use Disney's attraction for his flick. Makes no sense.
    That's because the Black Pearl was once the Wicked Wench. At least that's in my personal canon. I believe that the ride as it stands now takes place at some point before Curse of the Black Pearl during the short time that Jack was Captain of the Wicked Wench/Black Pearl and Barbossa was his first mate. But that's just my obsessiveness with fitting things into canon. Star Tours still gives me nightmares with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Lurkey View Post
    Like I said, give me my Turkey Lurkey plushie and I'd be less cheesed off.

Now, I've been thinking, and I've been wondering... is 'overdoing something' a matter of opinion? Maybe it just depends on how big a fan you are. I know if what Bassbone described had occured, I wouldn't be complaining because I am such a huge Turkey fan (and of Chicken Little, come to that). Maybe there are a bunch of fans of Pirate/Princess/everything else who are really enjoying all this. Obviously this does not apply to all the fans - as some people who have posted on here have proved - but there are some who absolutely love this stuff. I have Asperger's Syndrome, which results in me having 'fixations' with things; this is part of my huge C.L love. Maybe there are other such people who feel the same way about Pirates?
    Hooray for a fellow Aspie! Again, I apologize for saying what I did in such an offensive manner. I have been known to focus on things to an extent. Nothing being currently sold at Disneyland, though. The current selection of merchandise doesn't excite me all that much, except for a few pins and a pair of light-up drumsticks. The thing I'm hyperfocused on right now is PotC, but there is little merch that inspires me to buy it at the DLR right now. Now if they made that awesome Jack Skellington bowling shirt in 3X...
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

Disneyland totally over does things! remember when lilo and stitch came out. Stitch was everywhere. but is that really such a bad thing to capitalize on success?
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter13 View Post
    I want someone, just ONE person, to go and say "stop, that's not a good idea".

Sadly, that's all it takes
    They no longer work for Disney.

[quote=merlinjones;1792043
    Walt Disney loved pirates. With all the promotional hoopla attendant to "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," it would seem to be a great opportunity to remarket Walt's own pirate films on DVD under a collective banner. Some of these great titles have been underutilized in recent years and such a promotion would give consumers a great incentive to discover these classic adventures.

Peter Pan
    Treasure Island
    Swiss Family Robinson
    Blackbeard's Ghost
    Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow (a great title never available on DVD, and always in great demand by fans)
    The Mooncussers (not as great, but also unavailable for years)[/quote]

From your lips to Disney's ears!

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    but forget making anything nice for the adults. So from my standpoint? They can easily do more. The film franchise itself is still going strong story-wise, and it will keep a strong fan base. This isn't just some short-term fad.

And if Disney truly overdid successful things, why haven't they made any attractions coming from the Disney renaissance (ie Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast)?
    OMG, Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Susabelle View Post
    I also agree with the individual Princess items. I love Belle and Beauty and the Beast merch, so I would love to see a ton of stuff from that film, but at the parks you get the little kids costumes and some figurines and the other items are mostly all geared toward children and that's about it.
    One other thought, if Disney wanted to make a bundle of money they would start to make clothing in "plus" sizes. The clothes you can find in the shops are usually for tweens and ultra skinny tiny little girls. There is nothing in those cool designs for the more mature figured woman! lot of dough to be made from a huge segment of the spending public and all of us in that group have a lot of disposable income when it comes to buying stuff at Disney Parks! Are you listening, Disney Merchandising?
    Susabelle
    You are right about merchandising mostly for kids. what did Walt say? If you market only to kids, you are dead? something lke that.

I too think disney would make a ton of money selling larger size clothing, especially women's. I know I would buy much of it myself.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Tic Tac?

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post

Hooray for a fellow Aspie! Again, I apologize for saying what I did in such an offensive manner. I have been known to focus on things to an extent. Nothing being currently sold at Disneyland, though. The current selection of merchandise doesn't excite me all that much, except for a few pins and a pair of light-up drumsticks. The thing I'm hyperfocused on right now is PotC, but there is little merch that inspires me to buy it at the DLR right now. Now if they made that awesome Jack Skellington bowling shirt in 3X...
    No problem, I forgive you for what you said. Since you're a fellow Aspie, you'll see what I'm talking about when I said I wouldn't be complaining about it if there was too much Chicken Little everywhere. I only wish I'd ever been given the option with any of my fixations, which seem to be about as popular as dead bugs...

But, when Disney does overdo things, it is possible for even such people as myself to get annoyed. I mean, you'd probably have to have a limit as to what you'd buy, and what if you can't choose...

Mayor Lurkey rocks!

• I may be nutz...but...

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Hah, ain't that the truth? I may not be in the plus size range, but I'm an F cup...very difficult to find some things to fit me right.

Susabelle, I totally agree with you on so many of those things you listed. Unfortunately, with the Belle dress, the official adult one Disney makes doesn't look all that nice at all...it seems that whoever creates this stuff works harder on the little girl merch. Just because we're not 5 anymore doesn't mean we've lost our love for Disney! Actually, issues like this have pushed me into making my own Disney clothes. I'm not kidding you. Iron-ons are my friend...and it's a good thing that I'm an artist, too. I'll probably make my own Aurora blue costume for Halloween this year.

The make-your-own stuff they have doesn't really suit me. I don't like how the images they have for the characters aren't in their classic animation...I like vintage, not what Disney sees as "hip". That's why I love shopping Disney Couture at Hot Topic.

I don't know how big the sizes actually run at Torrid, but they carry Disney Couture stuff there as well...you should check them out! Unfortunately the company doesn't want to make Beauty and the Beast merch...if you write them a letter about how you feel, though, you'll get a response pretty fast and maybe they'll reconsider!

Thanks for the tip! I will check them out! I WAS hoping for a better Disney version of the Belle dress, time to fire up my sewing machine. I can make a decent garment and if I design the pattern right, it will look good, maybe I will go with the Belle outfit BEFORE she becomes a Princess! The little blue jumper! That will be easy to create!
    You know you are right there are few B&tB designs at Disneyshopping, I did manage to find a few really good ones, but I did find an ebay seller who does great iron ons and of course I could do my own, just find the pic I like and transfer it...so easy.
    About true sizing...YES!!!!! You are so right, I have found some things in Large that hang on me (well, to be truthful not right now after a long cold winter hibernation, LOL!), but there are lots of differences in the larges and X-Larges.That is true in men's shirts as well. Hubby has had to buy Large at D-Land and WDW and he wears an X-Large, that is cause he is my big Beast! It IS amazing. They are missing the boat with the so called plus size market though, I HATE that term!!!!! Like we all should look like Nicole Ritchie at 85 lbs and unhealthy!
    Just get real with the sizing and they could market real well!
    I still love the Princesses even though they have over saturated the market with them. I just pick the Princess I like best, can you guess which one? LOL!
    Like I said, they should just get back to marketing some of the classic stuff and tone down the newer merch. I DO understand the marketing around a new movie, but they really drag it out. Pirates 4 anyone? It MAY be coming. How many more years of Pirates can we stomach?
    Hey, this Summer we can look forward to rats! Now, there is a plushie I want to cuddle up with at night, those big gleaming white felt teeth on that long scrawny rat nose, actually he probably will be cuter than Captain Sparrow about now! And I DID have a pet rat when I was a kid...Love the little sewer crawlers...LOL!
    susabelle
    Last edited by Susabelle; 06-02-2007 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling errors, duh!

• Tic Tac?

Don't doubt Disney's power to 'drag out' a movie for merchandise... we're still getting new Cars stuff over here...

Mayor Lurkey rocks!

• I may be nutz...but...

Hey Mayor Lurkey! They SHOULD make a plushie just for you! You know after you brought it to my attention that CL was sadly lacking at Pixar Park, I thought, you know he is right, we NEVER saw anything from that movie! They should at least give some merch to the movie! Though I am not a Pixar fan as much as I love the classics, those movies have some classic moments in them, hilarious! And Disney should honor their place on their honorable scroll of films with some merchandise! So let's hear it for a Lurky plushie! Now there is a plushie I could cuddle with, gobble, gobble!!!! Better'n a rat! Maybe I could make you one on my sewing machine? I do not know how good it would look, it might have the tail coming out of it's head or the feet off his hat? LOL!
    Last edited by Susabelle; 06-02-2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: .

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

So many great posts here.

I remember years ago when it seemed like you could only get a Mickey Mouse T-shirt at Disneyland. It was part of the exclusivity of it. You know? But then, it was like $5 to get into Disneyland back then......so said T-shirt was much more accessible to people. But these days, it's an arm and a leg (and maybe a kidney) to get into Disneyland - so makes getting that Mickey Mouse T-shirt all that much more difficult.

So, when they opened Disney Stores in malls and such, seemed like you might be able to get the Disneyland stuff you wanted without having to go to the park. Not necessarily true, but seems like a good idea.

Now I walk into WalMart and you can get Mickey shirts there, Tink purses, Tink Sweats....and Goofy Shirt at Target....Pirates stuff at Albertsons, Walmart, Cars stuff all over the place......Autopia/Chevron cars at your next 'fill up' etc......and it just seems to 'cheapen' it. I don't know...yet on the same token, makes it more accessible to those that can't get into or TO the park as readily as others.

So I don't know. I'm not really answering a question here, just making an observation to add to my original thread statement.

It just seems that there was a certain exclusivity to Disney product that is sort of lacking now. And I don't mean to keep it from others in that exclusivity.....but in the 'overdoing' it just seems to me that maybe a bit of the magic is lost. You know?

• Directly directed

Since I'm 12 hours away and get to go once a year at most, I also don't mind. And since i also don't have a Disney store, I really don't mind that I can find Disney stuff at Target and Hot Topic. It helps the time go by faster and I don't feel like I miss out on as much.

However Tinkerbell has drastically changed in recent years and it is still very difficult to find her in her true form.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland View Post
    Since I'm 12 hours away and get to go once a year at most, I also don't mind. And since i also don't have a Disney store, I really don't mind that I can find Disney stuff at Target and Hot Topic. It helps the time go by faster and I don't feel like I miss out on as much.

However Tinkerbell has drastically changed in recent years and it is still very difficult to find her in her true form.
    Right on.
    And I agree with your Tinkerbell observation as well. My wife feels the same way...

• Supermom

Team Pixar!

But I agree that many companies these days do market merchandise until you cannot stand it. Disney is an easy target because they market to children as well, so there are TOYS TOYS TOYS in addition to the apparel, food, vacation packages, movies, CDs, TV etc etc etc. But they're not the only company guilty of this.

I'm a huge sucker for anything Pixar because my boys are 4 and 1, and Pixar is producing awesome animated films RIGHT NOW that small children can enjoy. To us, the Pixar films are a continuation of the Disney animated film canon. And their DVDs are not "in the vault".

• Splash Mountain addict.

I agree that Disney can overdo things at times. I don't think has to do with Disney so much as it has to do with the materialist culture we live in. Every company overdoes things- look at the hype and merchandising that accompanied the original Shrek. When Shrek became a popular film, characters from the movie started popping up everywhere (such as at Baskin Robbins- how low can you go when you begin to market at an ice cream shop?).

Whenever I go to Disneyland, I always sort of chuckle to myself when I walk into a souvenir shop. For me, the best part of a trip to Disneyland are the attractions and the time I spend with my family-not the stuffed animals, sweatshirts, and shot glasses (pin trading being a notable exception- I love to decorate my Fastpass lanyard with pins!). Some people, however, aren't content unless they own everything the park has to offer. This is the same at almost every amusement park- some people are just all about the stuff!

Like many other people have said, the rampant consumerism that drives companies such as Disney to put out a plethora of toys for every popular movie is a creation of movie execs and toy manufacturers. It's hardly a Disney exclusive, and I wish they'd tone it down sometimes. I know it would bother Walt, and it bothers me as well.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Whatever happened to the idea that 'less is more'?
    With all due respect my friend, they're a corporation. Their motto now is, "more equals more money."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast