Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Does Disney 'overdo' things???

I was reading the thread about Pirates and how the OP was burnt out. I agreed.

But thinking about it.....over the course of the past 6 or 7 years, does it seem like Disney takes and idea and squeezes as much as they possibly can out of it?

For instance......Disney Princesses- they are all over the place - not just in Disneyland, but in Target, Toys R Us, Wal Mart, you name it, and they are there..... And then there is Tinkerbell - you could never really find any Tinkerbell stuff anywhere - and then over the course of the past 3 years, SHE'S everywhere! She's on girls sweatpants rear-ends, she's in all of the stores, she's at Swap Meet displays, etc.

And then someone else mentioned that we might be in for a Nemo Overload as well! I agree. And of course......PIRATES PIRATES everywhere. Used to love them, now I'm so burnt out.

Of course all of this is for revenue, but regardless, do any of you agree or disagree that Disney totally overdoes it sometimes?

Whatever happened to the idea that 'less is more'?

• Hey it's that guy I am.

Re: Does Disney 'overdo' things???

I totally agree that Disney over does it. I think it's because the suits see that something is doing good and wants to get as much money out of it as possible. They think if it worked once it will work 100 more times. It just seems to be the result of corporate thinking.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squashandstretch View Post
    I totally agree that Disney over does it. I think it's because the suits see that something is doing good and wants to get as much money out of it as possible. They think if it worked once it will work 100 more times. It just seems to be the result of corporate thinking.
    Corporate thinking, indeed.

• Circle of Ancients

It's interesting because normally I see a lot of Disney stuff in the stores right before, during and after a new movie is released. But yesterday, I went to K mart , Longs and Safeway and couldn't find anything witht the Disney POTC on it. I ended up going to a party store in Capitola and there they had just one rack with Disney POTC on it. And I saw POTC twin comforter sets at Costco last week, but that's about it.

However, AT DLR, I noticed a ton of new POTC stuff when I was there in April. It seemed like it was realy overriding all the other merchandise....same with the Disney store.

• Tic Tac?

Well, I did mention my feelings in the 'anyone sick of...' thread, but I do agree with you about the Princesses.

I'd also like to mention how hyped Pixar characters are. I'm not saying I dislike Pixar, but Disney seems to be more proud of them than they are of their own characters. If you are looking for something from Meet the Robinsons, for instance, you'll probably find it difficult to find anything. But for Cars... the selection is endless!

Obviously these things make money, and Disney does want money, but it is possible to get sick of this overkill. If you get sick of it, it's less likely you'll buy it.

Mayor Lurkey rocks!

• Minion

Yes!

The franchise and brand managers are overly focused on corporate priority initiatives to the blindness of 95% of the Disney catalogue of characters and assets. If a surprise hit comes along like Pirates, Millionaire, Housewives, High School Musical or the like, they have made everyone sorry they ever liked it in the first place by the time they are done shoving it down your throat and wringing it for every penny.

- - and yet - - most of Walt Disney's film and TV library is completely unavailable and fans are often unable to get one decent copy of a show or LP (let alone any ancillary merchandise). Talk about leaving money on the table.

No, the reinvestments are all directed repeatedly at the same few things the same few executives are focused on. Sadly, these things eat up so much time, effort and capital, and sheer intensity - - that there is none left over for the good old stuff or something new and original.

It's a shame. WDC needs diversity in creative and financial matters and more respect for their history. And simply balance and restraint and taste.

All about short-term gain or over longterm. Who would ever have thought that once beloved Winnie-the-Pooh could trigger outbursts of disgust among a large sector of the populace? Blame overmarketing and short-term thinking and too much cheap, cheezy product.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 05-27-2007 at 07:13 AM.

• Minion

Yeah I agree with everything everyone has said actually. And I'm really sick of Pixar.
    The daydream princess

You guys amaze me sometimes -- "I'm really sick of Pixar." If not for Pixar, the Disney Corp. would be in big time trouble. As far as animation is concerned, what was the last really big Disney film that wasn't from Pixar? I think you'd have to go back to The Lion King for the answer (unless I'm having a huge mind-block). Pixar is Disney's salvation. Do they have an overabundance of product? Sure, but so did Walt in Mickey's heyday. It's the money from products such as these that help pay for blockbusters like Pirates and new rides and new parks and more resorts, blah, blah, blah. I repeat, I love Pixar.

less is never more in terms of money...

pixar was fun but im over it now. i think this frog princess movie is coming right in time. hope it doesnt dissappoint.

C'mon everybody, here we go!

• no flash photography...

maybe it seems disney overdoes things to people who make daily/weekly/monthly trips and see it all the time, but if I was going one a year or so it wouldn't seem that way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Lurkey View Post

I'd also like to mention how hyped Pixar characters are. I'm not saying I dislike Pixar, but Disney seems to be more proud of them than they are of their own characters. If you are looking for something from Meet the Robinsons, for instance, you'll probably find it difficult to find anything. But for Cars... the selection is endless!
    I don't think they are more proud of them. I think they have made more money and are more popular with todays kids. As for meet the robinsons, did it even do well, I have not heard much about it at all....?

The only character that I really hate and it's all over the park is stitch. I don't even know if it's pixar or not. I have never seen the movie and won't. My daughter hates him too, but she hates him first.... I really think that character is over merchandised, but people like him and buy up the stuff, so hat can you do?

• Disneyland Addict

OK getting reaady to doge firery arrows but you asked for an opinion so here it goes: If you are sick of it don't buy it. Obviously it appeals to someone or they wouldn't be making it. I like all the different options. That way if my kid wants a "Cars" t-shirt it isn't the same one that 4 other kids in his kindergarten class are wearing. Plus with the variety you can be picky about how good the quality of something is before you buy. My 9 year old girl is starting to get teased about wearing princess stuff at school (Which is a complete other topic that is just wrong, I still want to wear a princess shirt everyonce in awhile and I'm 34) so she is steering away from the clothes and I'm glad there are other accessories and things for her to choose instead. She doesn't get teased about Tinkerbell, don't know why that's different from a princess, so she is leaning toward Tink and other characters like Alice in Wonderland more.

• Tic Tac?

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    As for meet the robinsons, did it even do well, I have not heard much about it at all....?
    You have pretty much proved my point. Did anyone notice how the characters from Meet The Robinsons got removed before the Cars ones? I'm just so sick of it....

Don't think I hate Pixar. I love Pixar as much as I love Chicken Little (and, coming from me, that's a compliment). I'm just sick of seeing them everywhere.

Mayor Lurkey rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Lurkey View Post
    You have pretty much proved my point. Did anyone notice how the characters from Meet The Robinsons got removed before the Cars ones? I'm just so sick of it....
    Cars did fairly well as a movie...did meet the robinsons. What type of money id meet the robinsons make compared to cars?

I don't notice a lot of cars merchandise in the parks either. I few toys and the big cars they bring out in DCA. Maybe if meet the robinsons did well in the theater they would have more merchandise for the it in the parks.

since I didn't know the answer to which movie did better I did the research.

CARS

Domestic Total Gross: $244,082,982Distributor: Buena VistaRelease Date: June 9, 2006Genre: AnimationRunning Time: 1 hrs. 56 min.MPAA Rating: GProduction Budget: $120 million
    Domestic: $244,082,982 52.8% + Foreign: $217,898,144 47.2% =
    Worldwide: $461,981,126

MEET THE ROBINSONS

Domestic Total as of May. 24, 2007: $95,511,981Distributor: Buena VistaRelease Date: March 30, 2007Genre: AnimationRunning Time: 1 hrs. 32 min.MPAA Rating: GProduction Budget: N/A
    TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES Domestic: $95,511,981 65.5% + Foreign: $50,351,000 34.5% =
    Worldwide:
    $145,862,981

and that may be why you see more cars stuff and not so much meet the robinsons. It did not do as well as cars as a movie.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast