Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Castle Lighting

• Kirbyshowcase.com

looking at that pictures makes me dislike the railing on the castle. i say if anyone is going to be standing up there, they should not be such wussies and deal without the railing.

• is confuzzled.

IMHO i think te castle looks great.

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

I still like it. :P

• Cowboy, Bear, Pirate, etc

Count my vote as pro pink!

If you can't remember how washed out oxidized the castle was before the rehab, just go to the Disneyland website and wait for the Disneyland Park image to appear. It's not a very inspiring image.

As Sleeping Beauty Castle has always been the icon of Disneyland, from television shows and the Buena Vista logo to the image of the Disneyland corporate division from letterhead to napkins, I think that they just wanted it to stand out at the center of the park. From what I understand, many of the 50th Anniversary elements will take place in front of and around the castle.

I have to say that I first noticed the new lighting from the inside of the Plaza Inn. I made my dinner companion get up from the table and go look at it with me. Just like moths to a flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Remus
    looking at that pictures makes me dislike the railing on the castle. i say if anyone is going to be standing up there, they should not be such wussies and deal without the railing.
    Perhaps the railing was something that was forced on DL? New safety regs, etc?
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• Sock Puppet

I would just like to say that the castle looks AMAZING! I was looking at the Disneyland Resort Pictoral on disneyforever.com and the pain job is impressive to say the least! Good job!

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States
    Yeah, it's impressive...

They took a beautiful work of forced perspective art, and made it look like a reject from the Barbie design studios. All the care and artistry that Herb Ryman and the others put into making a much smaller than you'd expect building appear grand and iconic has been tossed out the window.

• Fireworks Finatic!

Wow, some on here are very harsh about how the Castle looks now.. In any rate, I also really like it now. It was sooo faded before. Now it reall stands out and looks great! Now let's hope all the other added stuff for the 50th won't really make it look like Babie's Jeweled-Dreamhouse...

I cast my vote for the new lighting. It looks great!! Reminds me of the starting to the Disney show that was on sunday nights. Hmm before or after wild kingdom I forget which and little side note. Was I imagining things or did Marlin Perkins go crazy right before my eyes during the last few episodes before he was replaced and the show went off? I seem to remember him acting really bizarre near the end.

Arrow Photograph on WikiPedia showing new lighting

On WikiPedia, there's a nice picture of the castle at night under the new lighting scheme. I posted it, taking it with my digital camera. You'll find it at Wikipedia: Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Hopefully it's clear enough to catch all the details. Can't wait to head back to Disneyland.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I like it- but would prefer the railing to be gone. Maybe it won't be as noticeable once the rest of the decor is up.

• Shop Steward

In my personal opinion, I've never seen the castle look better!

For the first time in my memory, the castle has a real presence, and it really looks great at the end of Main Street. It reminds me of that model of Main Street Walt showed off on "Disneyland." I feel miniature now!
    -David

except for one thing- i was hosting in town square tonight, and i noticed that the actual windows of the castle aren't illuminated from within anymore... which makes the castle look kind of scary and imbalanced. or, you know- the circuit could have just blown out or something.

• No bacon; sausage.

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that most of the negative comments in this thread are not about the paint jub, but about the night lighting.

• Space Mountain Expert

Well, I'm going to have to side with those who favor the new look. I only wish that I was going to Disneyland soon so that I could snap some pics. myself. So Thanks Evil Minion for the shots.
    I think there is a lot more atmosphere surrounding the castle now. It does look like it is inhabited, and it also gives off an aura of forboding, almost as though I sense a disquieting metamorphosis...
    It actually seems to me that Malificent herself could be lurking nearby... waiting to strike.
    I love the new look for the atmosphere it creates!
    Last edited by disneyking; 02-25-2005 at 08:58 AM.
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast