• Hey it's that guy I am.

What about Mark Twain's Narration?

I am now listening to the Mark Twain Narration and he says to our right is Tom Sawyer's Island. And he has a couple of lines regarding it. Do you think they are just going to add to that about Pirates lair or is the narration going to be redone. Also does anyone know if that Mark Twain voice is still around or is it going to be a new guy? Hmmmm, interesting.

• Minion

Re: What about Mark Twain's Narration?

I hope they don't replace Thurl. They could get someone that sounds like him just to do that part.
    The daydream princess

• potterday.org

Since the boat is docked for repairs indefinately, one would think they'd have time to adjust or edit the narration.

However, in all these years they've never bothered to edit out the excpert from the narration about the burning cabin, the pilots are just required to hit the skip forward button when they get to that part of the script. So who's to say they won't leave it as is as they have been? After all, for the time being they have the excuse of saying it's Pirates Lair at Tom Sawyer's Island... but of course any pretense of maintaning the Tom Sawyer theme will be long gone when they get around to phase two (assuming they do a phase two - Disney has a habit of getting something half done, shrugging their shoulders and walking away).

The good news is that I can't think of any way to re-theme the Mark Twain itself... I mean, they can't put Pirates on it. So even though Mark Twain is no longer read in schools there doesn't seem to be any reason to re-theme it, right?

Unless... no. I was trying to think of some way they might work Ratatouille into it, but I can't think of any way.
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Necrosis View Post

Unless... no. I was trying to think of some way they might work Ratatouille into it, but I can't think of any way.
    Uhhh, "Rats" off of a sinking ship... or steamboat...I'd better not give them any ideas....

I love the Mark Twain, and hope they keep Thurl's narrative...even though I'm sure they'll try to figure out a way to mention the Pirate's Lair...

And I thought I read from a CM here that the Mark Twain was coming back in mid-June...not closed indefinitely.

--Barry

• potterday.org

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And I thought I read from a CM here that the Mark Twain was coming back in mid-June...not closed indefinitely.

--Barry
    Right, of course. Didn't assume it wasn't coming back, it just seems that it has been docked longer than previously anticipated? But hey, mid-June sounds nice.
    Zoe Necrosis

Let's not mention Columbia's spiel: "That's Fort WILDERness on the starboard side..."

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by squashandstretch View Post
    I am now listening to the Mark Twain Narration and he says to our right is Tom Sawyer's Island. And he has a couple of lines regarding it. Do you think they are just going to add to that about Pirates lair or is the narration going to be redone. Also does anyone know if that Mark Twain voice is still around or is it going to be a new guy? Hmmmm, interesting.
    I think the narration will be redone. And I think it will be a new guy.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by roxystar68 View Post
    I hope they don't replace Thurl. They could get someone that sounds like him just to do that part.
    Thurl? What am I missing? It never sounded like Thurl to me (except maybe the leadsman's calls).

• potterday.org

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Thurl? What am I missing? It never sounded like Thurl to me (except maybe the leadsman's calls).
    I'd have to concur. I can't think of any part of it that sounds like Ravenscroft. Even the leadsman's calls aren't deep enough to be him, in my opinion. I'd say "are you thinking of Paul Frees?" but none of it sounds like him either.

Can anyone confirm, corroborate, contradict?
    Zoe Necrosis

• Closed Account

The leadsman's calls always sounded more African-American to me.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

After replacing most of the elements on the entire Island, I doubt they will hesitate to change an audio track. I also have never recognized Thurl Ravenscroft's contribution to the Mark Twain soundtrack. Which part features him, if any?

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I also have never recognized Thurl Ravenscroft's contribution to the Mark Twain soundtrack. Which part features him, if any?
    I've heard an old audio track from probably the 1960's where Thurl is the one calling the orders (ie "Prepare to go ashore" "Engine room ahead one quarter").

The Window to the Magic podcast had a good episode all about the ROA. Very interesting stuff: http://pbarrie.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=131402

• Choosy Moms Choose Jeff

The voice of the captain on the 50th Disneyland music collection is none other than Pete Renaday(voice of Henry the Bear from the Country Bear Jamboree fame!)

He's still around and so he could easily make another cut and use it for the current TSI spiel.