Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Sure do miss good candy

Went to Knott's this last weekend for lunch, and a visit to their candy store. Came away with a baggie of stuff: jelly beans, rock candy, sugar sticks, etc. The selection in there was amazing (they have gummy LETTERs now, did you know that?). It reminds me of the way I used to feel in the DL candy store. There used to be a huge selection of sugar sticks (straight, flavored candy canes, btw), and all manner of colorful candies to choose from. It seems today all they sell are pre-packaged chocolate and cardboard boxes of cookies, and the like. Not that that isn't nice too, but I just doubt kids feel the same sense of awe that we did, walking into the DL equivalent of the Wonka factory.

That also reminds me of a place my friends and I used to ride our bikes to. It was called Olde Tyme Chocolate Mine, and lemme tell you, it had one HECK of a candy selection. For $.50 you could buy a jawbreaker so big you had to carry it around in a sandwich baggie so you could hold it while eating it (didn't fit in your mouth). They had the wax bottles, gummy worms, bubblegum cigarettes (not that I advocate those), just a huge variety of candies. Somehow, pulling a hershey bar off a shelf in the local AM/PM just doesn't match up. Sadly, a lot of candy stores are phasing out the good stuff in jars in favor of the prepackaged stuff.

While Jelly Bellies are delish, they are very expensive and seem to be carried to the exclusion of all other brands. Granted, most brands of jelly beans have become little more than gelatin dipped in sugar with precious little "flavor" to be found, but there ARE brands out there that are also extremely tasty - I think Smucker's makes them.

Seems so many people think "candy" only means "chocolate" though. Sad.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries
    I love candy.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Maybe it's an issue of safety, though I really don't know. However, candy that is made in a factory and packaged in boxes is less likely to be contaminated, and it has a longer shelf life, so Disney doesn't have to throw stuff out every day. As long as the bakeries keep fresh food, I'll be happy
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• white and nerdy

Three words: Goofy's Sour Balls.......

Sounds bad, but tastes SOOO good.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Minion

I remember that too, at least they still have the chocolate I like.
    I used to love that candy store in frontierland, it isn't that now, I forget what they are selling out of there now, but it wasn't worth remembering. It was a nice little stop for goodies while walking through there.

• My cuties!

I used to love buying the candy in those little clear plastic boxes! I'd always buy rock candy. My mom used to buy the colored sugar (we always called it Disneyland sugar); she'd make that stuff last for the year or so between our visits! We'd get in on our grapefruit halves or Christmas sugar cookies or sometimes in waffles but that was it! We were all so sad when they quit selling it.

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom
    I used to love buying the candy in those little clear plastic boxes! I'd always buy rock candy. My mom used to buy the colored sugar (we always called it Disneyland sugar); she'd make that stuff last for the year or so between our visits! We'd get in on our grapefruit halves or Christmas sugar cookies or sometimes in waffles but that was it! We were all so sad when they quit selling it.
    What do you mean?? I just saw that the other day, at the newstand outside the park.

There is this awesome candy store in Huntington Beach, I forget what it's called. They have every kind of candy you can imagine, and the owner will order it if he doesn't have it.

twinmom: remember, way back in the day, when they'd sell the clear plastic boxes with a ceramic figurine on top? I remember getting a Dumbo one, had it for YEARS, but of course they stopped selling those too.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• My cuties!

I vaguely remember those, morrigoon! I bet I still have one of my boxes somewhere!

My mom did find the same kind of sugar a few years ago and put some in bottles with Mickey Mouse stickers on them for all us kids.

Hey, does anyone remember those (resin?) jewelry boxes they used to have? They came in large and small, and I know my mom has this one, it's about an 8" heart shape in lavender, almost quartz-like, and it has white details of Snow White on it. There was also a small dark blue in this style, again with the white raised details.

• For old time sake

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    twinmom: remember, way back in the day, when they'd sell the clear plastic boxes with a ceramic figurine on top? I remember getting a Dumbo one, had it for YEARS, but of course they stopped selling those too.

I remember those!!! They were filled with rock candy, or tart and tiny's...man I miss those. Used to get them without the figurine for like $1.50
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Yes! They were so delightfully inexpensive!

I miss DL selling a few inexpensive quality items. Time was, I used to buy something almost every week. Now I hardly buy anything at all. Remember when pins were like $4 each? I used to buy several at a time! but at $8.50 I don't buy ANY. And beanies! What was great about beanies is they were inexpensive, good souvenirs. I have a bunch of them from back when they cost $6-8 apiece. I just won't pay today's prices for them.

... Sheesh, they take away all the cool candy and gifts, raise the prices on what's left to absurd levels, then complain that APs don't spend enough....

• Former CM

I remember the little boxes with the figures on them. Goffy's Sour Balls are one of my favorites along with Pooh's Honey Pots and the English Butter Toffee. I also really like the Chocolate and Peanutbutter fudge that's swirled together as it tatses better then the blocks with 1 flavor on top of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Hey, does anyone remember those (resin?) jewelry boxes they used to have? They came in large and small, and I know my mom has this one, it's about an 8" heart shape in lavender, almost quartz-like, and it has white details of Snow White on it. There was also a small dark blue in this style, again with the white raised details.
    YES, i sure do. they were beautiful. there were a few different shapes and sizes... sold across the street from the Candy Store in the China Shop!

Back in the day, merchandise was not so generic. each shop specialized in something and was unique to visit.

fond memories of the past indeed. thanks morrigoon!

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat
    I remember those!!! They were filled with rock candy, or tart and tiny's...man I miss those. Used to get them without the figurine for like $1.50
    I swear they still have these, but they have the disneyland logo on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast