Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Multi-decade CM

Why Disneyland deserves a new Electric Parade

Is there anyone here who does not remember seeing the Main Street Electric Parade on Main Street USA? If you are one of those people, you missed out. It is something completely different, completely magical to see the Blue Fairy wind her way down Matterhorn Way, around the Plaza, and down Main Street. I still remember the days doing Guest Control with great fondness as the Parade passed by.

Of course, we all know those days are gone.

Now, if you are old enough to remember the MSEP (not the sad, gutted, out-of-place DCA version), then you probably also remember Light Magic.

If you do remember, please try to hold your dinner down. It wasn't that Light Magic was a bad parade (okay, "street spectacular". Sheesh!) It was just too long for what it delivered, which was basically Disney Does Riverdance.

But it was honestly a beautiful parade to look at. Those neon lights literally danced to the music. Main Street itself would light up with dancing lights in the windows and buildings! If you can, try and hunt down a copy of Light Magic just to see what they did with the Main Street buildings. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvvLZl5RY98) for those so inclined to see the last part of the parade including the LM tribute to the MSEP)

The thing is, Light Magic was a good idea, just badly executed. The Main Street Electrical parade, beautiful though it was, began to show its age. After all, it had run almost unchanged since 1977.

Can you imagine the Electric Parade with 2007 technology?! Neon lights programmed to flash and dance with the music, flowing colours, a parade route that would come alive itself, buildings, even street lights and (if you really wanted to get fancy) neon ropes which flashed to the music!

The Electric Parade was actually going to make a comeback in 2000. But, during the time of Harris/Pressler, no good idea ever is born alive, and so Electric Parade 2000 made way for more shops and another AP Souvenir Pin Day.

If the Sleeping Beauty Castle were to be removed from Fantasyland, would Disneyland still be Disneyland? Some things become icons. The castle is one. The Main Street Electrical Parade is another.

From a tactical viewpoint, Disneyland still needs something to draw the crowds away from Fantasmic!. And with Fantasmic! ageing, a new show is desperately needed. What better show than a new, 21st century Electric Parade?

Come on Disneyland! Give back to your park and your Guests what is, without a doubt, the greatest parade Disneyland ever did in its entire history. Give us a new Main Street Electrical Parade.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "Majestic, rugged land balances predator and prey; symmetry of life's plan takes your breath away." - The Time of Leaving (Tigers' Quest)

--== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Why Disneyland deserves a new Electric Parade

I couldn't agree with you more. While MSEP is a classic, it is definitely showing its age, and I would be in favor of a major electrical overhaul of our classic parade to bring it into the 21st century (and Disneyland!).

If you haven't already, youtube Tokyo's Electrical Parade, Dream Lights. It's been updated several times, even with floats depicting Pixar movies, and the technology is far superior.

• Long Distance Imagineer

Just as long as they keep the Baroque Hoedown as the elementary theme of the music, I say go for it! Let's get some imagineers working as well on this to add some special effects that couldn't be done before!

The next question becomes: which Disney movies/characters should be a part of the parade. Do you keep any of the classics in, and which "more recent" movies do you add to it? I don't think I want all Pixar stuff, I still want Cinderella and the other princesses in there, without it getting too long.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by cindersgirl View Post
    Just as long as they keep the Baroque Hoedown as the elementary theme of the music, I say go for it! Let's get some imagineers working as well on this to add some special effects that couldn't be done before!
    Agreed. Although Spectromagic and Fantillusion have more spectacular lighting effects, they do not feel as magical. I think it's because Baroque Hoedown has such and uplifting spirit as well as 30 years of amazing memories for me. I cry tears of joy when I hear it watching the parade roll past - even at DCA.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

YES! Keep the same style music, but add some new segments~
    I would love to see a Jungle Book section, Little Mermaid section,
    Mulan section, Get Some new Floats for Snow White PLEASE! And
    could we give the villains a float of their own, Hey! MSEP IS a nightime
    parade, afterall!

It is really atrocious how poorly they have kept this parade updated,
    and considering the faithful following this parades has generated for
    decades, and how it was the only saving grace for rescuing DCA,
    it deserves to be much better respected by Disney management!

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Remember when they used to continually update it? I remember being knocked out seeing Tron and his cohort in the early 80's as a part of the parade!
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

i'd be happy with just the old MSEP, back but with newer movie referances
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Merry 2014!

no need to convince me that MSEP belongs in DL, new and improved or not. bring it on!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by cindersgirl View Post

The next question becomes: which Disney movies/characters should be a part of the parade. Do you keep any of the classics in, and which "more recent" movies do you add to it? I don't think I want all Pixar stuff, I still want Cinderella and the other princesses in there, without it getting too long.
    I might add that they need to keep the original "Baroque Hoedown" music. the Japanese version uses a newer synthesizer sound and it just doesn't have the magic of the original, imo. Also, the Japanese version has synthesized percussion sounds which detract from it also, imo.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Defeats the Huns

Have you guys seen Tokyo Disneyland's Electrical Parade DREAMLIGHTS?
    Well, tha'ts something that I would LOVE to see on our Main Street. It's AMAZING!
    It still has Baroque Hoedown so don't worry about that. But the floats that they have are HUGE and so colorful. Just a wonderfully put together parade and Disneyland needs it.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralShang View Post
    Have you guys seen Tokyo Disneyland's Electrical Parade DREAMLIGHTS?
    Well, tha'ts something that I would LOVE to see on our Main Street. It's AMAZING!
    It still has Baroque Hoedown so don't worry about that. But the floats that they have are HUGE and so colorful. Just a wonderfully put together parade and Disneyland needs it.
    Dreamlights doesn't excite me too much. Again, it's mostly because of the alterations to "Baroque Hoedown," but still.

• Defeats the Huns

I was a little thrown off at first that baroque hoedown does go away halfway through the parade... but after listening to the music ove rand over, I like the different orchestrations.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralShang View Post
    I was a little thrown off at first that baroque hoedown does go away halfway through the parade... but after listening to the music ove rand over, I like the different orchestrations.
    But that's part of the charm of the MSEP: the fact that all the classic Disney themes are laid atop the background of Baroque Hoedown. Fading BH out and just playing, for example, the Monsters, Inc. music makes it just like any other DL parade, but with better lighting.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    no need to convince me that MSEP belongs in DL, new and improved or not. bring it on!
    I've posted on this many times before, since the Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade was such a great part of my working years as well from 1974-1982...interrupted for two summers by the bicentennial America On Parade 1975-76.

Obviously it still rekindles strong memories in lots of people, and I'm all for the new technology so long as it stays within the lines of the spirit of the old one, with the Baroque Hodown as the central theme agsain as well.

It's nice to see in DCA, but as I've said before it just seems out of context, like having the Rose Parade in San Francisco or something.

Put me down as a definite yes. There was nothing quite like the magic of the Disneyland MSEP.

--Barry

PS...It's yet another place for a new Pirates themed piece, so that should please a lot of folks...

--Barry

That new orchestration and variations of the Hoedown in Dreamlights is one of it's strengths.

If they brought Dreamlights to America I bet the crowds would go nuts. It's really that good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast