Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Can we blame star wars for the "New" Tomorrowlands?

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    don't ever ever EVER blame anything on Star Wars
    Love it!

• off in lala land

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. But the date in which both were drafted are moot points. The general public wasn't aware of either projects until 75 and 77 in disneyland.

And wouldn't the fact that disney rejected lucas' "space movie" be some sort of backing that they weren't interested in space fantasy at the time?
    Lucas' film was rejected by almost every major studio because it was considered too much of a risk.

The influence for Space Mountain was already taken into consideration from Walt's imaginer's in 1967 when the New Tomorrowland opened.

We have a vast amount of years difference here to try to bridge Tomorrowland with Star Wars.
    ...it's been a long time.

Oh, oh oh! Hold on...let me just mention three things...

Episodes, 1, 2 and 3

Siggy siggy sig sig.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Space Mountain has nothing to do with Star Wars... Absolutely Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
    We have a vast amount of years difference here to try to bridge Tomorrowland with Star Wars.
    But your missing my point. I'm not trying to bridge the two together. I'm trying to see if there is a relationship in their popularity that allowed them to feed off of eachother. It's obvious that disney ended up taking notice of Star Wars in the eighty's and put it in tommorowland as part of the "space port theme"
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Rocket to the Moon and Mission to Mars both promoted progress and education, not Aliens and Sci Fi.
    Science Fiction was the basis for much of Disney's inspiration. Just as it was for George Lucas. Nice little article to follow, won't take up much space:

Walt Disney Helped Wernher von Braun Sell Americans on Space

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama (AP) -- Wernher von Braun, the German physicist who oversaw most of the achievements of the U.S. space program until his death in 1977, might not have been as successful if it weren't for Walt Disney.

Von Braun, a hero to many for his work as technical chief of the Army's missile program and later NASA's space program, began a concerted effort in the 1950s to sell the idea of space travel to the American public. That included the collaboration with Disney on three highly popular space-related television films.

``He had the ability to take this interest in space exploration and take it to the public,'' said Mike Wright, staff historian for the Marshall Space Flight Center.

Disney's senior producer, Ward Kimball, had taken notice after von Braun and other scientists wrote a series of articles for Collier's magazine, said Wright. He tapped von Braun to work on the popular Disney TV films about space.

Von Braun's work on the Disney films and the Collier's series sold many Americans on the idea of space flight and helped ensure adequate funding of the space program, said Wright.

The German scientist's personality was important for the success of the space program, said Michael Neufeld, a curator at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington who wrote a book about von Braun and his rocket team.

``He was very charming, he was very charismatic,'' Neufeld said. ``He was a very good politician in the context that he understood.''

Disney, who would become an international icon, opened Disneyland the same year that von Braun worked as a technical director on three Disney TV programs about space.

The first, ``Man in Space,'' aired on ABC on March 9, 1955. The second, ``Man and the Moon,'' aired the same year, and the final film, ``Mars and Beyond,'' was televised on Dec. 4, 1957.

Von Braun's talent was that he could communicate a vision of space travel in layman's terms while bringing to the message the authority of a scientist.
    ``To make people believe that space flight was a possibility was his greatest accomplishment,'' said Wright. ``Von Braun brought all of this out of the realm of science fiction.''

http://www.space.com/news/spacehisto...ey_020813.html

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Quote Originally Posted by KrItTeR View Post
    I don't recall seeing Aliens in SM...
    I should have been more clear on that.

The aliens were referencing the land's new theme. (In all of the parks)
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

•   
    • Minion

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE star wars, but isn't it weird that the first step towards tomorrowland's new "theme" (Space Mountain) opened up the same year Star Wars hit theaters?

Since then, a HUGE interest in space fantasy has swept the world and tommorowland changed accordingly.

The next piece of evidence is Star Tours, an attraction based on Star Wars itself. This was the next radical depature from the theme of progress and one step closer to tomorrowlands new "theme" of "dump random movies here land".

So my question is, Can the success and interest of Star Wars be responsible for the wild sucess of space mountain, and therefore the direction tommorrowland ended up taking?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Here is the think about Star Wars... The movie starts:

"A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away..."

It has to do with Mythological past - not the science future...

Having pointing this factoid out, I don't think it is a problem with Tomorrowland...

The problem with Tomorrowland in California is what happened with Florida parks has changed what Tomorrowland is in concept because of EPCOT. WDI has had to design and plan for those two parks so that the experiences had to have differenication... However in California it totally failed to integrate the harder science based experiances with the science fantasy. So we get Innoventions and HISTA... Two "crap-tacular" experiances that have no place in Tomorrowland.

I think they should have aimed higher... It is possable to look at futurism with all it's current challenges with an optimistic light... That is what Tomorrowland was about - overcoming adversity to live in a brighter future.
    Last edited by cellarhound; 05-29-2007 at 01:23 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Oh, oh oh! Hold on...let me just mention three things...

Episodes, 1, 2 and 3

Granted, episode 1 was a little dissapointing (thanks jar jar) but episodes 2 and three were great films.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I think we can blame the 'lack of imagination' for the 'new/current' Tomorrowland - at least the one in Anaheim.

It's getting linked to too much sci-fi and not a serious thought for the future - and Walt Disney really had ideas in Tomorrowland that he'd hoped would be in the future of Anaheim, Orange County, California - THE WORLD!

Think about it - the Monorail opened in 1959 - and was the only Monorail. Now there's one that is actually used for transportation in Las Vegas. This is what I am talking about. I highly doubt there will be any BLAB's in our Future life outside of Disneyland - hence my thought of linking to much Sci Fi to Tomorrowland ....but there could be a PeopleMover in real life....and put it back in Tomorrowland would be a huge step of 'displaying' the Future...

The thing that gets me about Star Wars and it's incorporation into Tomorrowland is that Star Wars is very very clear in it's opening titles when it reads "A Long Time Ago..." - and to me, that just doesn't gel. If Tomorrowland is the FUTURE, why are we putting Star Wars themed stuff that is supposedly 'a long time ago' in there?
    Last edited by Disneyland Daddy; 05-29-2007 at 01:28 PM.

So, the best that imagination had to offer has created the lack of imagination we see today?

All the good ideas were just be recycled...(space port and star wars were good ideas)...until it became old and dull...

that's kinda sad.
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• Boogers are salty

Have any of you ever heard of the Space Race, Spudnik, Apollo missions, man landing on the freaking moon, Space was a big fad way before starwars, the space changes at disney came about due to the public intrest in NASA and space travel, did you know that people watched the moon landing on a giant screen in Tommorrowland, I bet that was awsome

• Fighter Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    Granted, episode 1 was a little dissapointing (thanks jar jar) but episodes 2 and three were great films.

I actually think 1 was over rated cause no one can over look jar jar and anakins dialog, but its pretty decent. 2 just really sucked except the sound effect for the sesmic chargers and the whole battle. And 3...man was just to long and went outside the SW element that made Star Wars, Star Wars, instead just a special effect explsion and....eh this is not th etime or place to nerd out

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Hear! Hear!

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

And wouldn't the fact that disney rejected lucas' "space movie" be some sort of backing that they weren't interested in space fantasy at the time?

I am SO GLAD Disney Rejected the Lucas "Space" movie. Can you imagine Disneyland today with Star Wars heavy Everything themed Tomorrowland, and SW Characters everywhere, parades, fireworks shows? Not to mention there is no way Disney would have let Lucas have total control after the Hit of A New Hope, so Empire and Jedi probably would have had Mickey and Minnie take over Luke and Leia.... Blech.

No, I blame past management for a poor tomorrowland. They lost the true idea. Walt loved the idea of new frontiers, be it the American West, or the next frontier at the time, Space.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast