Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Can we blame star wars for the "New" Tomorrowlands?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I don't know that Nemo is properly themed for Tomorrowland, but at least it gets activity in the lagoon again. Sadly, that might be the whole thought pattern held by the execs - "as long as there is activity, everything must be alright". I don't agree with this idea, for the most part.....I am glad the Subs are returning, but I don't see how Nemo fits into the 'world of Tomorrow".

I agree. But I'm personally gonna go ride it a few times before I say anymore. The subs are only back thanks to Nemo. So it's a push. Lose the walt disney original completely....or have it return with a theme that doesn't support "tomorrow".

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Fighter Pilot

I think the Nemo is properly themed if you think about it. We have like only explored like 3% of the worlds oceans, so its kinda like space as well in discovering new things. I mean least every other week a new creater is discovered and its just as a mystery as space. And as the future progresses new technology comes along to make it possible to discover the other 97%. So I think its properly themed.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post
    I think the Nemo is properly themed if you think about it. We have like only explored like 3% of the worlds oceans, so its kinda like space as well in discovering new things. I mean least every other week a new creater is discovered and its just as a mystery as space. And as the future progresses new technology comes along to make it possible to discover the other 97%. So I think its properly themed.
    Yup, not everything in Tomorrowland has to be about space!

• Koubu Pilot

I've thought about this many times before. I think if anything, Space Mountain really added the thrill ride Florida needed. It was the first enclosed coaster. It was their Matterhorn. Disneyland's opened the same summer Star Wars opened and I think Star Wars had to have something to do with Space Mountain's popularity (I've heard of people waiting in line for hours in a line that invaded Main St) since everyone was interested in Sci Fi and space again.

Now, while some call Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear unfuturistic and sci fi and cartoony, I think they still have a place (would Buzz belong next to small world or Sleeping Beauty Castle?). Star Tours was the first motion simulator and there was nothing like it in 1987. Buzz's Disneyland upgrades really play on technology since you have people on the attraction and the internet. Nemo's new underwater technologies allow it to have a home in Tomorrowland. Futuristic can happen in the storyline, environment, or storytelling. It's not just confined to touring a house or going to the moon.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeMan33 View Post

It's only a matter of time before someone invents real live talking fish.

All joking aside, Finding Nemo subs don't bother me as much as Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. That is just... an odd pairing.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Eeewwww eeewwwww eeewwwww!!! Star Wars Land?!?!?! WTF???

So you think Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage is bad for Tomorrowland? If so, I disagree. The new technologies and special effects for the ride (from what I heard) are supposed to be phenomenal and THAT is what Tomorrowland should be about. NEW stuff.
    No quite the opposite actually. I think nemo is a step back to the glory of tomorrow land. When i said back, i meant a return to the theme of progress. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

So no one has really given me a definitive answer yet...

Did the popularity of Star Wars and other space fantasies and the coincidence Space Mountain opened in nearly the same time frame directly influence the Tomorrowland we know today?
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    Rocket to the Moon and Mission to Mars both promoted progress and education, not Aliens and Sci Fi.
    In 1955 a rocket to the moon was considered to be utter fantasy by most adults. I'm not saying that Star Wars should be considered hard Science Fiction by any stretch of the imagination, but from the perspective of an adult in 1955 RTM was WAY out there fantasy.

Doug
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    So no one has really given me a definitive answer yet...

Did the popularity of Star Wars and other space fantasies and the coincidence Space Mountain opened in nearly the same time frame directly influence the Tomorrowland we know today?
    Yes and No. Yes that Star Wars started a different trend that led to movie-incorporated "futuristic" tendencies of rides, and No to the fact that Space Mountain started the different path. Sure Space Mountain doesn't really promote the future, but it wasn't about a Movie either. Ever since the destruction of Adventure of Inner Space, tomorrowland headed into the direction Walt probably didn't prefer.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

You can't blame Star Wars for Space Mountain and the decline in the land's theme in recent years...

However, you can probably blame Star Tours for the perpetuation of more film-based attractions in the parks, and further watering down the Tomorrowland theme which subsequently allowed attractions like Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin/Astro Blasters, Mosnters Inc Laugh Floor, and the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage to be regarded as thematically-correct fits for the World of Tomorrow.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

I read the title of the thread and almost started swinging at the screen. Blame and Star Wars in the same sentence? That's blasphemy I tell you....I will post back when I read everything lol....

Check out my Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joe_e_audio

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    You can't blame Star Wars for Space Mountain and the decline in the land's theme in recent years...

However, you can probably blame Star Tours for the perpetuation of more film-based attractions in the parks, and further watering down the Tomorrowland theme which subsequently allowed attractions like Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin/Astro Blasters, Mosnters Inc Laugh Floor, and the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage to be regarded as thematically-correct fits for the World of Tomorrow.
    MasterGracey gets it right. As far as I seem to understand your argument, after Star Tours and Space Mountain opened, the popularity of these rides led to a slightly more fantasy space-oriented Tomorrowland, which led to the redo in Florida, which led to a redo in California, which led to a rescue plan which involved loosening the theme reigns even more, which led to Buzz, which led to Nemo. If this is the case, then yes, actions to have reactions.

However, the main issue with this argument is you first need to figure out what Tomorrowland means to you. At one point, it's main attractions were about space and it's exploration. At another time, it was about transportation and movement in the future. Now, it could be argued that it's about the fantasy space theme, mixed with EPCOT-like future reality crap. The problem is that the theme of Tomorrowland continues to change, and Anaheim's at least hasn't been set in stone, like that of Paris or the one in the Magic Kingdom. Once you figure that out, you can determine which rides belong and which don't.

If you determine it should be about space, then Autopia certainly doesn't fit. If you determine it's about anything that could happen in the future, then Autopia could be redone to showcase hydrogen or electric cars.

I also don't agree that Nemo belongs in Tomorrowland, but there's issues with this. The lagoon infrastructure exists and has to do with the Transport Tomorrowland of the past. I, personally, would argue for the spacey themed Tomorrowland and wouldn't want a lagoon in that land. However, it is there, and WDI decided to use it. Obviously, the synergy for the coporation with Nemo is too good to pass up.

Tomorrowland is a big can of worms. If we are taking why Nemo is in Tomorrowland, it has more to do with infrastructure than Star Wars. If we are talking why Buzz is in Tomorrowland, that has to do with corporate synergy *and* Star Wars. If we are talking why Tomorrowland is currently an amalgamation is a number of outdated attractions and sparsely connected themes, that has to do with poor management and funding issues that could be blamed on DCA.
    - Paul

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

The thing that bugs me is that Star Wars takes place...." A LONG TIME AGO....in a galaxy far, far away". Plus the whole lightsabers = "weapons from a more civilized age". So SW in TL? I dunno. Even from the beginning when they had the spaceman fly up in the sky, it was suppossed to depict life in 1986! It's just one of those things I guess.....

Check out my Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joe_e_audio

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedimyndtryx View Post
    I read the title of the thread and almost started swinging at the screen. Blame and Star Wars in the same sentence? That's blasphemy I tell you....I will post back when I read everything lol....
    Yeah. I don't blame Star Wars for episodes I II and III. I blame Lucas for that. Rotten little so and so...
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Fighter Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Yeah. I don't blame Star Wars for episodes I II and III. I blame Lucas for that. Rotten little so and so...

nooo, you blame the Screen Actors Guild, get it right

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast