Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question One day visit in August...

My wife & I have won a trip to LA in August. We'll have two full days in the city, August 23rd & August 24th.

We've decided to have one day at Disneyland & one day doing more general sightseeing (around hollywood etc.) After visiting WDW and DLP, it seems like too good a chance to miss out on visiting the originnal park.

Can anyone make any recommendations about tickets or what we should do to try to get the most of our one day at the Happiest Place on Earth?

We know that August will be busy, so will it be worth getting hoppers, or will we struggle to visit both parks? What sort of queueing times can we expect? What are the park hours usually in August? Should we make dining reservations or eat on the go? We're not going to have a car so how would we get to the park (preferably before rope-drop)?

Any other important info i've forgotton to ask?

Thanks in advance!

• is too darn hot.

Re: One day visit in August...

Quote Originally Posted by stuartmck View Post
    My wife & I have won a trip to LA in August. We'll have two full days in the city, August 23rd & August 24th.

We've decided to have one day at Disneyland & one day doing more general sightseeing (around hollywood etc.) After visiting WDW and DLP, it seems like too good a chance to miss out on visiting the originnal park.

Can anyone make any recommendations about tickets or what we should do to try to get the most of our one day at the Happiest Place on Earth?

We know that August will be busy, so will it be worth getting hoppers, or will we struggle to visit both parks? What sort of queueing times can we expect? What are the park hours usually in August? Should we make dining reservations or eat on the go? We're not going to have a car so how would we get to the park (preferably before rope-drop)?

Any other important info i've forgotton to ask?

Thanks in advance!
    If you're intent on seeing as much as possible in the park, I'd recommend just staying in DL, getting your food on the go and getting to the park early. Disneyland opens at 8AM and closes at midnight that day, so it won't be too much of a struggle to see a good deal of the park. You won't have to worry about parking, so I think getting there around 7 AM would be good for getting in before rope drop. Getting to the park depends on where you will be staying. If you're in the area, a taxi or a city bus will probably get you to the park pretty early, the taxi being more reliable. If you have the means, I'd recommend coming later for a longer trip. If you like the park, you'll definitely want to. Congrats on winning the trip.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Thanks for that. Definatly planning a longer trip in the future, but outside out means at the moment (expensive from the UK!).

Not sure whereabouts we're staying or anything yet - waiting for all the details to come through from the competition promoter.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartmck View Post
    Thanks for that. Definatly planning a longer trip in the future, but outside out means at the moment (expensive from the UK!).

Not sure whereabouts we're staying or anything yet - waiting for all the details to come through from the competition promoter.
    Oh, and if you're going to be in Hollywood, I'd highly recommend seeing a film at the El Capitan Theater, Disney's first-run movie house. They have a magnificent Wurlitzer theater organ that's played before every show and it is a grand old movie house in the finest tradition.

Thanks. El Capital is on the 'Might Do' list - depends what's showing on the day.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

And August in the LA area will be HOT. You'll want to dress appropriately. Get the park hopper. Its not that much more than a single park ticket, and since those days are during the week, crowds might be a little lighter and you'll have a chance to at least see a bit of DCA. Some So Cal schools might already be back in session, or will be going back soon that might help the crowds a bit also.

Once you find out the details of your trip, such as exactly where you will be staying you'll be able to plan exactly how to get to Disneyland better.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

We know that August will be busy, so will it be worth getting hoppers, or will we struggle to visit both parks? What sort of queueing times can we expect?
    I would personally get park hoppers. California Adventure isn't the greatest park, but I still have a lot of fun when I go and there are good rides. Plus, the crowds will be smaller there so it would be a good place to take a break. It's only a 5-10 minute walk from park center to park center, too, unlike WDW. IMO, lines at DL are never all that bad, besides maybe the subs. I was there during the 50th celebration in August 05 and I can't even remember the waits because they weren't bad at all.

What are the park hours usually in August?
    http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...&date=20070830

Should we make dining reservations or eat on the go?
    Blue Bayou is a great option. It's relatively expensive ($20-30 entree) but the experience is great and I've always loved the food. You'll have to call Disney Dining well in advance to make a reservation. For quicker/cheaper food try Bengal BBQ across from Indiana Jones.

Firstly, make sure to see some of the stuff that WDW doesn't have... INDIANA JONES!! (ride, not show), updated Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, the Aladdin show at DCA, Jedi Training Academy (if you have any interest in Star Wars or funny little kids), Mr. Toad's, Alice in Wonderland, etc...

And RELAX. Don't run around trying to do everything in one day. You can't. Don't do all of the major rides first; spread them out through the day. Appreciate the castle's size - it was built much earlier, after all. Walk through the alleys in NOS, go to the Disney Gallery, explore Tom Sawyer Island, take pictures with the characters, etc. Those are the first things that your average one-day visitor would eliminate from their list, but taking a break from rides for 15-30 minutes can improve your trip so much.

And of course, you MUST see the fireworks from in front of the castle.

For your one day there, get there early (8am) and purchase a one day park hopper so that you can actually witness both parks. California Adventure has some fantastic attractions that are a must see as well.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius View Post
    For your one day there, get there early (8am) and purchase a one day park hopper so that you can actually witness both parks. California Adventure has some fantastic attractions that are a must see as well.
    Park opens at 8. They need to get there earlier if they want to be there for rope drop.

• Disneymom

I heard about a website that helps you plan your trip to get the most rides. This guy mapped it out with times and all . He figured out when the lines a re shortest and so forth. It's called www.ridemax.com maybe it will help.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Congratulations on winning your trip! My guess is that you won a trip to Los Angeles, but keep in mind that Disneyland is not in Los Angeles itself. It is about 35 miles south of downtown LA and that drive can literally take two hours if you leave at the wrong time!

If you have a choice of hotels I would recommend staying at a hotel near Disneyland itself. It is much more easy to stay close to DL and to fight the traffic going up to Hollywood than it is the other way around, because DL and DCA will take a full day -- even more if you want to see everything.

• Defying gravity

I would recommend getting a guide book. Since you only have one day, you need to be familiar with attractions BEFORE you get there. Birnbaum's Disneyland (very positive) and the Unofficial Guide (slightly negative, realistic) are some good choices depending on what type of outlook you want.

• Rock Star Minion

I wouldn't bother with a parkhopper.
    1. It costs $20 or so more.
    2. Every minute you're in DCA, you're wasting minutes from DL.
    3. There's plenty to do in DL.
    4. DCA will unfortunately be there for a very long time, so on your next visit you can squeeze it in.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

I would stick with disney land but if you wanted to see both parks i would go 2 california adventure first and go on all the rides that are allways crowded like the hollyood tower hotel ( that one is cool ) then go to disney land and go on all the rides you possibly can

• I'm not really here

With just one day, I would stick to just Disneyland. Especially if you are planning on coming back someday. However, that is up to you.

One big point I would make is, be VERY flexible about getting on rides. If you are heading to Splash Mountain and notice that Indy has a 10 minute wait, get on Indy. Take advantage of the short lines as you pass them. Don't pass up a line 15 minutes or less.

Dress appropriately and be prepared to buy water, or bring water bottles of your own. I would recommend having your meals in park as well as it will save you a good amount of time. There are plenty of places and styles to choose from. Among us, we could probably recommend every cart and sit down restaurant in the park

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast