Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• that's right!

Question Is the area right in front of the castle sitting or standing during fireworks?

My favorite thing about Disneyland is the fireworks and I almost always try to get a spot in front of the castle, on the walkway right behind the partners statue, because it's the best place to view them, in my opinion.

I remember a while ago sitting and waiting for the fireworks and then being forced to stand once they started because everyone else was. The last time I was there, though, everyone remained seated and it was much more pleasant. I heard some lady (who seemed to be a regular) say that it was 'officially' sitting-room but I'm not really sure. It kind of seems like it would change on a per-show basis because if the people in the front stand up and the people behind them stand up there's really nothing to do but have everyone stand up. I'm kind of wondering if the people who go fairly often have experience with this... is it always sitting nowadays, or does it vary? Thanks!

it's sitting when the cast members enforce it

• Videographer

Most nights if you are between the Castle rope and the curb, it is sitting. (Monday night was weird in that the right side (TL side) of that same area everyone stood up as the show began. Quite unusual.

Once you hit the street in that same area it is 50/50 on sitting versus standing.
    RU

• Social Imagineer

Feh, I have NEVER seen the cast members enforce this after May 5. I haven't been there every night, but 8 random times (although all on weekends) seems like a fair enough sample to conclude that there is NO all-seating policy in effect.

• Again! Again! Again!

I stood in front of the castle, but was off to the side. Those that feel the need to sit need to stand up! The time I was there, people the came AFTER us sat down and got the whole crowd to yell "Sit Down!" I was yelling Stand Up, but not as loud. The show is in the sky so nobody should really NEED to sit down. But hey, that's just me. I like to watch it from the end of Main St. Get a better feel for the show. That time I sat in front was the first and last time. Besides it was TicToc's Birthday!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Disney fans for life!

We watched the fireworks four times while at the Park last week and it changed each time. Sitting, standing, sitting, standing. I guess that we all just played follow the leader. Funny thing though, I never saw who the leader was???

At least the show was TERRIFIC each time (whether sitting or standing).

• Who's your DaddyB?

just confirming that it's arbitrary as to what happens. I've never heard castmembers say anything about sitting only, etc.

The three times I've seen the fireworks now, every time the folks on the left hand side of the castle (as you're looking at it) remain seated, and the folks on the right side of the castle all stand up and this goes all the way back into the hub. The seated folks have always remained seated all the way back into the hub.

It just goes to show that it's the overall crowd mentality that happens to be there that night, and Disney has no real crowd control plan in place... and if 400 people suddenly decide to stand up when they've been told to remain seated, what's Disney supposed to do, anyway?
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• insufferable know-it-all

If the CMs would get up in front of the castle crowd and TELL them that it's sitting, people would stay seated.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Videographer

But if they did that they might get squirted with a squirt gun.

RU

• Banned User

im against sitting for fireworks.

• that's right!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    im against sitting for fireworks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4
    I stood in front of the castle, but was off to the side. Those that feel the need to sit need to stand up! The time I was there, people the came AFTER us sat down and got the whole crowd to yell "Sit Down!" I was yelling Stand Up, but not as loud. The show is in the sky so nobody should really NEED to sit down. But hey, that's just me. I like to watch it from the end of Main St. Get a better feel for the show. That time I sat in front was the first and last time. Besides it was TicToc's Birthday!

Can I ask why you prefer standing to sitting when both offer the same view?

Not only do they both offer the same view, but they also offer everyone around you the same view.

I think the problem is a few people want just a little more view, forcing those around them to have to stand up to be able to see anything at all, which eventually forces EVERYONE to stand up.

Human selfish nature in raw form.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Social Imagineer

They DO NOT offer the same view. The entire point of waiting literally for hours in front of the Castle is to view, as part of the show, the projection and other effects that take place ON THE CASTLE. Standing obscures people's view of the Castle. "Remember" is most certainly NOT a fireworks show that takes place only in the sky - - it is a multi-faceted presentation in the style of Epcot's "Illuminations," featuring projections, lasers, twinkly lights, fire effects, close-up pyro and faraway pyro.

The one time (May 5) that CMs enforced the seating-only rule (with the concurrently necessary rule of folding all strollers), a wonderful view was had by everyone. But the first person to stand up ruins it for everyone else, as there is then a wave of standing - with accompanied child-hoisting upon shoulders to make matters worse.

Further ... once people are standing, there is no room for them to sit back down again ... and all the "Down In Front" screaming in the world will not magically create room for people standing shoulder-to-shoulder to sit upon the ground.

Drat Disneyland for not continuing the seating-area enforcement. It provided a wonderful view for so many people, and prevented the fights I have witnessed break out in the area ever since. Except for very special occassions, I don't intend to watch from in front of the Castle again ... and that's as much because of the hostile crowd atmosphere as the absurd waiting time required.

• Minion

Sitting is pleasant but I hardly think Cm's could enforce something that. You can't tell people to sit on the street. I do it, and the horse poop smell is soo bad at times!
    I think you just have to deal with whatever crowd is there that night. I mentioned before on another thread, we all tend to get a little too focused on that perfect spot, like we own it. its a crowd situation, there isn't much can be done about it.

• Videographer

Well, it isn't just human nature (even though you are correct that sometimes is the problem.) Some people cannot sit down/get up easily. Does this mean they don't have the right to be where they want to be? They don't get to be near the Castle, feel the heat during Indy, or see the Castle projections?

I think Disney should do with the fireworks exactly what they do with Fantasmic.

If you are in this area YOU WILL SIT. If you are in this area YOU WILL STAND. Clearly defined areas take all control away from the guest and places it in the hands of Disney.

What if you want to sit and get there too late, it's all taken - tough luck buddy. I don't mean that to be rude but that is a fact of life. It is just like showing up at Bleu Bayou at 6:00pm and expecting an immediate table. Ain't going to happen.

Sorry to go back to 5/5 but this is exactly what they did on 5/5. Where we were was going to be standing only. The CM told us, hey, you can sit for now but we will make you stand about 30 minutes before show start. We knew (as well as the few thousand around us) what would happen. Sure enough, the CM said stand, we all stood - and it was a great show and no fights broke out. Control does not take away fun, it actually enhances it.

And that is the fireworks problem, Disney has not taken control and as daddyb mentioned this morning - it is a crowd mentality. That is the spark that allows human nature to run amok.

RU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast