Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

As one who was involved in the ramp discussion, I'd just like to say that the ramp being there or not being there, or the ramp running or not running, in no way does any existing or not existing state of the ramp influence my enjoyment of the park, in the past or in the future. We were having a discussion about why it was always off, and if Disney could have or should have done a better job at keeping it moving. And some people liked it, and are maybe a bit disappointed that it's gone. Why are people jumping on the bandwagon and saying that we're all being ridiculous for even discussing it? If you don't like the disucssion, stay out of it.

There, that's the end of my Sunday night cranky-pants tantrum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Isn't it more for timing purposes? Like, if a rocket is heavier, and thus would come down the mountain faster, then it would be delayed a few extra seconds from launch?

Yes, if the Rocket is 500 lbs heavier than the one that just left, the tower will push the sandbag button. This adds 5 seconds to the dispatch time. If it is more than 1000 lbs the tower will hold the rocket longer than 5 seconds, giving a full gap between the two rockets.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz
    Yes, if the Rocket is 500 lbs heavier than the one that just left, the tower will push the sandbag button. This adds 5 seconds to the dispatch time. If it is more than 1000 lbs the tower will hold the rocket longer than 5 seconds, giving a full gap between the two rockets.
    Wow, this is fascinating, I never knew the thing weighs the cars, let alone holds them if the car is heavier. It makes perfect sense now because you seem to have to wait there a little bit after moving forward. Is there a point where the rocket can become too heavy that it won't be allowed on the track? I guess the trim brakes or block brakes would bring the car back down to its intended speed, but I wonder if an overloaded car could overwork the block brakes to the point of creating an unsafe condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Wow, this is fascinating, I never knew the thing weighs the cars, let alone holds them if the car is heavier. It makes perfect sense now because you seem to have to wait there a little bit after moving forward. Is there a point where the rocket can become too heavy that it won't be allowed on the track? I guess the trim brakes or block brakes would bring the car back down to its intended speed, but I wonder if an overloaded car could overwork the block brakes to the point of creating an unsafe condition.

A rocket 5000 lbs or heavier may not be launched and will be pulled by the cast members. The fat guests will be redistributed. Anything over 5000 lbs would likely cause an overspeed at the trim brakes and cause the entire ride to automatically e-stop. The ride computers don't like things going too fast and will shut everything down if they're not happy.

Unloaded rockets weigh around 2500 lbs.

(this is the old ride system, things may have changed with the new track/rockets).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345