Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

Space Mountain: Ride Description

DL had another "preview" for CMs yesterday, and I FINALLY got a chance to ride. In fact, I rode 5 times! Ok, so here's the scoop for those who are interested. The attraction and queue look GREAT, but only the FOLLOWING have changed: the loading area (where you board the rockets), the rockets themselves, the first two lifts at launch (lifts A and B), and the re-entry tunnel. Everything else is largely the same as we all remember it from 2002 and before. A detailed description of the ride is below:

You load in the same 6 rows as always. New station gates (translucent) and other overlays adorn the new boarding area. The space ship overhead has been clad with new pannelling but has the same basic shape as the old "DL-3000" ship. It's number now reads "DL05." As you board, you go through the same weight and safety check as always. The rockets themselves look extremely similar to the old ones, but the shoulder rests are not nearly as high because the speakers are set flat accross the top (horizontally) instead of vetically as before. As you are dispatched the music begins with a fantastic choral crischendo through the rocket's dedicated tweeters. The sound was so clear and crisp...I was extremely impressed (and was smiling pretty big). The first scene is dark...As you turn right and head up the first lift, the lights slowly come up revealing a metallic room with brushed aluminum accents. Quite beautiful. Orange lights accent the metal. An overhead com channel can be heard..."Power transfer in 3....2....1"...as these words are spoken, your rocket passes by two large orange lights that turn blue as the word "one" is spoken. Electric sounds are heard as you head into scene two. Scene two is a blue and black tunnel with rectangular blue runner lights along the walls and ceiling. WOOP WOOP WOOP alarms sound as your move through this scene. The next scene is lift B (the main lift into the mountain). As you move through this scene, you hear the com chat again overhead. "Destination coordinates locked..." [or something like that...I cant remember exactly]. The tunnel itself projects a unified scene over all the screens that line it inside and a slow and disorienting spinning sensation can be felt. As the com chat is heard, each screen individually, and in sequence "LOCKS" with a loud THUD as red bars appear over the spinning image. As you look ahead the fanstastic projection of a nebula begins to swirl and flash through at the mouth of the tunnel (inside the mountain). Just as you reach the mouth of the tunnel, the nebula dissolves into a blue flash. Now you are in the mountain slowly moving up lift c. Music pulses in the background, slowly building as you climb the lift. Again the com chat is heard overhead, announcing a launch in 10...9...8........when the announcer hits one, the ride begins (as does the music available on the recently released CDs).

The coaster runs as we all remember it (but it is now air conditioned to FREEZING perfection , and it is MUCH DARKER than before. It is nearly impossible to see the track at all anymore)... until...

you hit the re-entry tunnel as whistling sounds fill your ears (like whistling firework shells). Rainbow "pods" fly over, around, and behind your ship as a hard afterburner sound is heard. As your rocket slows, the pods suddenly reverse direction, inducing an intense feeling of a shift into "reverse" which is quite suprising (and fun). After this, the com is heard overhead one final time announcing your return to the space port. The rocket pulls into the station and the occupants cheer!
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

• Hunka hunka burnin love!

Huntington Beach, CA - 30 minutes away from Disneyland!
    sounds freakin sweet! i cant wait. damn!
    We're addicted to Disney

I was there on May 5th, 2005! and July 17, 2005!

• Official Mice Chat person

Thanks A LOT for that! Very interesting to read. Looks like the Asteroid that "near misses" your car never made it to the ride (or maybe it just hasn't been turned on yet?)

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

no, it's there, but they are not lighting it purposely because it allows everyone to see the track (ruining the theming). I hope they re-work the lighting to allow for the asteroid to be used soon! The fantastic blue "comet" that the rockets are supposed to "race" met a similar fate, much to my disappointment. Hopefully that will return too.
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

• The Magics in the details

I've been on the ride several times too. . . the audio and new DLP projection of the nebula are quite cool. The launch sequence is masterfully done and so is the 'reverse' effect. The only thing I found annoying is that the old 'ramp' at the exit was replaced by 2 stair ways. But i guess it rarely worked anyway... Either way, i'm sure you guys will enjoy!
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

• Wonderful World

lol I only read the first paragraph cause I want it to be a suprise
    but god it is so tempting

WoW! So cool.. that's the report I have been waiting for.. THANKYOU! I hope they get around to adding in those extra effects but it sounds very cool anyway.. CAN'T WAIT till I finally get a go but that's going to be quite a while for me yet

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCM
    I've been on the ride several times too. . . the audio and new DLP projection of the nebula are quite cool. The launch sequence is masterfully done and so is the 'reverse' effect. The only thing I found annoying is that the old 'ramp' at the exit was replaced by 2 stair ways. But i guess it rarely worked anyway... Either way, i'm sure you guys will enjoy!

The ramp always "worked", however, kids would hit the e-stop button at the bottom of it all of the time and kill it. OR somebody would be doing something unsafe on the moving ramp and the cast member in the tower would catch it in the camera and e-stop the ramp.

To start it up again, a cast member would have to get the key from the tower, hold back the exiting guests for safety reasons and restart the ramp. It was a pain so it was rarely done after it was stopped (unless somebody had nothing to do during a downtime).

The ramp may have been off but it was always fully functional.
    Last edited by FormerDiz; 06-22-2005 at 08:59 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCM
    The only thing I found annoying is that the old 'ramp' at the exit was replaced by 2 stair ways. But i guess it rarely worked anyway... Either way, i'm sure you guys will enjoy!
    Stairs in the future!! I liked the ramp. It made for a nice ending of not having to walk. Isn't that what the future is all about, more convience. Bring the Ramp back!
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.

• Happy Homespun

and relocate the stupid button! That is one thing I remember from the WDW SM is the moving walkway.(or moving gangplank, whatever)It was very nice to not have to walk all the way up...
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome..."

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    I'm sure the comet effect will be up and running by July 15th...WDI are the masters of controlled lighting, and they will absolutely need to pull out all the stops on this ride, since it is pretty much the highlight of the 50th.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Best Buds

AP2CM - That was a great description of the ride. Thanks for putting in the time to write it all up. Much appreciated!
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidspaceman
    Stairs in the future!! I liked the ramp. It made for a nice ending of not having to walk. Isn't that what the future is all about, more convience. Bring the Ramp back!
    Yes! Bring it back...no one wants to walk up stairs after riding a futuristic ride like space mountain. The ramp had the cool furturistic Jetsons effect.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

FormerDiz, if what you say about the ramp is true, then this is just very bad show. It's bad enough if we all thought the thing was always busted. But for it to be working, but it's just not in the scheme of things for someone to be allocated to go over and turn it back on? This is just unfathomable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandian192
    and relocate the stupid button! That is one thing I remember from the WDW SM is the moving walkway.(or moving gangplank, whatever)It was very nice to not have to walk all the way up...
    I think the problem has more to do with the weight of the Guests.

If too much weight is on the speedramps at any given time, the ramps will turn themselves off and have to be reset manually. The white dots on the ramps are supposed to encourage Guests to separate themselves better so that their collective weight does not overexert the motors.

There is no reason that the people at Space Mountain cannot find a way to keep the key to the speedramp handy, so that any of them could reset it upon going to a break. And, similarly, the maintenance department could probably adjust the sensors to make the ramp less tempermental.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast