Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Destroyer of Mallcore

A few questions and Introduction

Hello Micechatters, this is my first post in this great forum and I am glad to finally be a member! Before I ask my question, I just want to say that this is the best resource for Disneyland info.

Well my first question is regarding space mountain. I will be going this July to Disneyland with my family and I am having a hard time convincing my mother to ride Space Mountain. She's into the more tamer rides and looking at the parades and shows but I know she'd like Space Mountain if she gave it another chance. She was tricked into riding it when she was a kid and now is somewhat traumatized. Does anyone have any advice into possibly convincing her into riding it? I think I might be able to convince her into riding Big Thunder Mountain, which I think isn't too difference in how it feels.

My second question is regarding scheduling in the evening. I am having a hard time deciding if I should eat dinner as I wait for the Fantasmic show - Watch Fantasmic at 9 - and stay for the fireworks. I have only seen the fireworks twice, and the last time I went I saw them at the hub and I loved it. So the question really is, how is the view from where I would be viewing Fantasmic? Is it worth waiting at the hub and then watching a later show of Fantasmic?

My last question is about character meetings. I go about once or twice a year, and I really don't have many pictures with characters. Where is the best place to see characters without wishing they had a fastpass just to take a photo?

Thank you so much in advance and keep an eye out for my video trip report of DL and DCA
    Last edited by CelestialImperium; 05-30-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Typo

• Boogers are salty

Re: A few questions and Introduction

You can tell her its slow, i think about 35 mph but I could be wrong with the rockin refurb, but that they blow air at you to make it feel faster.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Well I'm one of those people who do not like rides like Space and Thunder either. In December I got... roped into going on Space (you evil people...you know who you are... ), but if I do somehow get on that ride I keep my eyes closed the entire way. Otherwise I tend to get vertigo. I rode Thunder in December with a fellow MiceChatter, which is one I'm just not fond of, but it was to support each other since neither of us were that comfortable riding it.

So I think I'm trying to get at... if your mom seriously doesn't want to ride it, don't force the issue. She has to be comfortable with the ride, and you want her experience with Disneyland to be a happy positive one right? There are lots of other things to do at the resort other than Space. If she wants to try it, tell her to do what I do.... and keep her eyes closed the whole way through.

As to your other questions, I'm sure there are others who have great advice on those issues!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

I will definitely not force her to go onto anything she doesn't want to but I just never liked leaving people waiting as others have fun.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

heh on space mountain whether you keep your eyes open or closed u get the same view lol

• is too darn hot.

First off, welcome to your doo-- I mean MiceChat. Secondly, regarding the fireworks, the best place to view the current fireworks show is the hub. It's pretty much centered around there. That being said, there are also good views from Tomorrowland and Frontierland. Riding Big Thunder or the Matterhorn is is also good for the fireworks. I think it's definitely worth it to see it from the hub, though, then go to Fantasmic if there's a later show. That is if it's still not down for refurb.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    First off, welcome to your doo-- I mean MiceChat. Secondly, regarding the fireworks, the best place to view the current fireworks show is the hub. It's pretty much centered around there. That being said, there are also good views from Tomorrowland and Frontierland. Riding Big Thunder or the Matterhorn is is also good for the fireworks. I think it's definitely worth it to see it from the hub, though, then go to Fantasmic if there's a later show. That is if it's still not down for refurb.

I am going in July so I am sure it will be up and running by then but I just don't want to spend too much time sitting and waiting and more time on rides, so I would like the best view without contributing a huge amount of time.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

If you dont want to wait in the hub for fireworks then go see Fantasmic later, watch Fantasmic and just stay put till the fireworks are over. This past weekend was my first time seeing the fireworks from anywhere but the ROA and it was a great difference and IMO so so so much better.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by DLcastmbr View Post
    heh on space mountain whether you keep your eyes open or closed u get the same view lol
    I always ride SM with my sunglasses on. Man, it is really dark that way
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• I'm not really here

Welcome to MiceChat! Hope to see more of you around.

As for convincing someone to ride Space Mountain, here are some suggestions:
    1) Invite her to wait in the line with you. If someone does not want to ride, all they have to do is step across the vehicle and right out the exit tunnel where they can wait for you to return. It isn't a trick and once you get down in to where you can see the ride, you can show her, "look, if you decide you don't want to, just step right through." That way she knows she is in control, gets to spend the time with you and will be able to see part of the ride and maybe become excited about it.

2) It does only top out at 35mph and they do blow air on you at parts to make that feel faster.

3) There is only 1 drop in the entire ride and it is 27 feet. That's just over a two story drop and it is over before you notice it. The rest is curving track that slopes down gently.

4) The track was totally rebuilt recently and is now MUCH smoother than it ever was before.

5) Now that she is an adult, she may find her likes and dislikes have changed and if she decides she still doesn't like it, she never has to ride it again.

6) Remind her, that even going through the line, she is still in control and does not have to ride it. Support her no matter what.

(This is how we've gotten kids on things they didn't think they would ever possibly in a million years enjoy)

Dinner and Fantasmic. If they are doing two showings of Fantasmic, go see the fireworks from the hub (Frontierland side) and them immediately move to River's of America and you should do pretty good. If they are only doing 1 showing, see it and then go see the fireworks. You can generally get really good for both if you are willing to move with the crowd.

Characters: When you get to the park, go first to city hall and ask where the characters will be that you want. They have a number they can call and they'll write down where and when they will be there. Here are some tips we've picked up from trips in the past though:
    Mickey = his house in Toon Town
    Minnie = near her house in Toon Town
    Goofy = near the Gag Factory in Toon Town
    Donald = Town Square Main Street USA
    Pluto = Town Square Main Street USA
    Princesses = Fantasy Faire in Fantasyland (you only get 3, and it's random and there is a line), Ariel's Grotto in DCA, Drawn to Animation DCA
    Alice and Friends = Fantasyland, usually between Matterhorn and the Alice rides or in Town Square/Main gate area.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialImperium View Post
    Hello Micechatters, this is my first post in this great forum and I am glad to finally be a member! Before I ask my question, I just want to say that this is the best resource for Disneyland info.

1. Well my first question is regarding space mountain. I will be going this July to Disneyland with my family and I am having a hard time convincing my mother to ride Space Mountain. She's into the more tamer rides and looking at the parades and shows but I know she'd like Space Mountain if she gave it another chance. She was tricked into riding it when she was a kid and now is somewhat traumatized. Does anyone have any advice into possibly convincing her into riding it? I think I might be able to convince her into riding Big Thunder Mountain, which I think isn't too difference in how it feels.

2. My second question is regarding scheduling in the evening. I am having a hard time deciding if I should eat dinner as I wait for the Fantasmic show - Watch Fantasmic at 9 - and stay for the fireworks. I have only seen the fireworks twice, and the last time I went I saw them at the hub and I loved it. So the question really is, how is the view from where I would be viewing Fantasmic? Is it worth waiting at the hub and then watching a later show of Fantasmic?

3. My last question is about character meetings. I go about once or twice a year, and I really don't have many pictures with characters. Where is the best place to see characters without wishing they had a fastpass just to take a photo?

Thank you so much in advance and keep an eye out for my video trip report of DL and DCA
    1. Don't try anymore. She likes the attention she gets from not riding it. Leave her be.
    2. Meh. I'd rather go on Space Mountain again. If you want to see both, then wait at the hub for the fireworks show, then go to the later showing of Fantasmic! Otherwise you get trapped with everyone who saw the first Fantasmic! show trying to get themselves to the Hub for the Fireworks show. That's a lot of people walking through Adventureland trying to squeeze in the Hub which is likely already full.
    Get dinner early, say 5 or so. Be an early for everything.
    3. Better idea: just take the picture of the characters instead of with them. I mean, logic would dictate that you saw them since you took the picture. Do you have to be in the picture, as if you're "meeting" them? If so, you'll have to wait. I think there are plenty of things to do besides meet characters. I just wave to them and keep walking, as I would any celebrity.
    I will definitely not force her to go onto anything she doesn't want to but I just never liked leaving people waiting as others have fun.
    You could leave her at home. Then you won't feel guilty all day. Really. Go with other people, not wet blankets.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Merry 2014!

My mom was afraid of SM too. she was afraid of flying out of the car. We deduced that she didn't pull the bar down as far as it would go. My siblings and I told her about the differnt rockets they had and that we would make sure she had the bar all the way down to her lap. She was a brave soul when she decided to give it another chance. she ended up loving it! we were so surprised. She rode it many times that trip. she also loved big Thunder. she would ride in the last car. Go fig.

You may want to find out why she is hesitant to ride SM then figure out a way to assure her a safe experience. Maybe sit in the middle row of the first rocket. On Big Thunder, sit at the front where it seems to be not as rough a ride. Also tell her SM is much, much smoother a ride than when she was a girl. Maybe all that nudging will assuage her fears enough to give it a shot.

As far as Fantasmic and fireworks are concerned, my plan is always to attend the second fantasmic show. I am usually on the tomorrowland side so that I avoid the crowds or if seeing the fireworks too then be somewhere that you can sit until the crowd dissaptes. there is no hurry to get to Fantasmic right away. You will still get a good place to view the show if you can wait 10 minutes.

The best would be to do one or the other on differnt days if you will be there multiple days. Hope this helps.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

What I do when I'm with my "kids" while they are on the ride, I hang out in the gift shop closest to Space and do some shopping!!

Quote Originally Posted by DLcastmbr View Post
    Well yeah pretty much...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    You could leave her at home. Then you won't feel guilty all day. Really. Go with other people, not wet blankets.
    Dude, that's not cool. If she's legitimately scared of the ride, she's legitimately scared of the ride. It's not some sort of huge sacrifice to let her sit the ride out. Sheesh.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Minion

It isn't necessarily the speed, it's the G's

That is why they recommend that people with some medical conditions should not ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast