Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Continuing the Magic

What has become of Thunder Mountian?

OK here's why I'm asking the question. I was talking to a friend who is a CM recently and they stated that there was another incident with Thunder within the last week where they had to perform an emergency stop, and because it wasn't handled right one of the engines came off the track. They also said that many cast members are dropping thier knowledge because they don't want to be around if there is another accident, because saftey and training are so laxed over there again. So when do you think Disney will actually take saftey there seriously?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: What has become of Thunder Mountian?

I think it'd be known if Big Thunder jumped its track again. That is not something that can just be quickly fixed and nobody else will see. In this regard, I believe Disney has changed.

• Haunted Mansion Lover

This sounds like a rumor if I ever heard one. If it did jump the tracks again the ride would be shut down until the problem could be fixed.
    Foolish Mortal

Now every time I ride it I feel like I'm being dangerous, hope its not having any problems though.

• Really!?

yea im always nervous on BTM, it's one of the most thrilling rides in california........ not because of the track.... but because im waiting to fly off the track & smash into a wall at any moment.....

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Unless your friend is an actual Cast Member on Thunder, I'd take what they say with a grain of salt. I agree though, if it did jump the track it wouldn't be open without another DOSH inspection of the attraction, if this supposedly happened last week then I'd doubt the attraction would even be open.

... but who knows, I don't work Thunder.

I will tell you this much though, the new training procedures on any attraction are much more strict and stringent on safety then ever before (even within the last couple of years since I was last in Attractions)... sure takes a LOT longer as well. I wouldn't make comments like the one that you made at the end of your post if you have no clue what you're talking about.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• I'm not really here

Agreed, this sounds more like a rumor to me. I feel safe on BTMRR. You see them randomly throughout the day just decide to run empty trains a few times around to make sure everything is good and then they'll start people through again. Industry standard is to walk tracks and do inspections every morning before park opening on all coasters. I'm sure there is some group on the night crew assigned to do track walks and make sure it's all in working order. If the train jumped the track it is a much more serious problem, such as the up-stops on the cars themselves coming off. Were that the case, the ride would not be running as they would have to pull all of the trains and do a full inspection of each up-stop (the wheels below the track) on each engine and car. That would take some time and would be fairly widely known about.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Guilty!

No, cast members are not "dropping" their knowledge. No, training has not become laxed. In fact, if you're not good enough to keep up with other cast members there, they decide to drop you from the crew. If the cast members find or hear something wrong with a train, its pulled off into storage immediately.

• Basking in birthday love

Believe me, if there were an accident on Thunder, even a minor one, EVERYONE would know.

They're very, very selective about who gets trained on Thunder, and keep a very careful eye on what happens over there.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

You can't really improperly emergency stop unless it's like "Oh crap! I randomly leaned on the emergency stop! Well, there's a 45 minute downtime for no reason." It's a button, you push it when you need to stop the ride immediately, and it stops. It doesn't suddenly make upstop wheels fly off the train or self-destruct a piece of track, it just stops every lift and closes all the brakes.

yeah i will agree with the above saftey at disneyland has much improved when we train for the subs we have to read the entire OG before we can even think about actually touching anything that works the ride

• Banned User

I'm riding it under the assumption that everybody who caused the accident at Columbia and Big Thunder have long been fired and the park is under new and better management. Otherwise I wouldn't be in the park.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diznee55 View Post
    OK here's why I'm asking the question. I was talking to a friend who is a CM recently and they stated that there was another incident with Thunder within the last week where they had to perform an emergency stop, and because it wasn't handled right one of the engines came off the track. They also said that many cast members are dropping thier knowledge because they don't want to be around if there is another accident, because saftey and training are so laxed over there again. So when do you think Disney will actually take saftey there seriously?
    That's a strange term..."a CM recently." Does that mean recently became a CM? WAS recently a CM but is no longer? Just wondering. If your friend is still a CM you might want to let them know that spreading rumors like this would most likely end their career in the park pretty quickly I would guess. Based on what others said here (including some real CMs) your friend obviously has no idea what they are talking about. I'm not nor ever have I been a CM at DLR but even I know that the emergency stop is a button...there is no "wrong way" to press the emergency stop button I would dare say. Oh well, thanks anyway, at least we got some good info on Disney's safety proceedures.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    I'm riding it under the assumption that everybody who caused the accident at Columbia and Big Thunder have long been fired and the park is under new and better management. Otherwise I wouldn't be in the park.
    Yeah, Pressler's gone

(restarting a hibernating argument)

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

I'd say Thunder is probably one of the best trained crews in the park.
    That wasn't always the case, but I wouldn't blame the operators, but rather management at another time.

A few months before the big accident, my wife and I rode, and I heard a noise I knew right away - I looked over the side, and there was a big chunk of urethane missing from the road wheel that was directly under us. When we rolled into the station, I alerted the CM to it- and I have witnesses to this- the CM actually said "That's not your concern, we're running the ride".

After the unfortunate accident, my wife and I rode and found a car with a similiar situation (albeit, this wasn't as bad as the one before) - the CM stopped loading of the train, and it was sent through empty, before being pulled off on the spur. The CM actually thanked me for noticing. I'll say it again, Big Thunder at Disneyland is probably the safest coaster there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast