Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod Miller

Re: Rod Miller

One of my fondest DL memories is the day when I stopped to hear Rod near park closing and then talked with him for a few HOURS after. I heard so many stories about DL back in the day, about him playing at a pizza joint before Coke Corner...he seemed to be a genuine fan of all things Disney...Walt in particular...he told many Walt stories (although he was gone before Rod arrived). Rod got particularly excited about a story involving the guy who Walt hired to do the castle. He met this man (sorry, forgot his name) and the guy gave Rod a letter Walt wrote him in praise of his work. Well, Rod was so excited about this letter that, rather than simply describing it to me, he darted to his office, xeroxed a copy for me and even stopped by the candy shop to get a bag to keep it dry (it was raining that night). Truly a day I'll never forget and the park just doesn't seem the same without him!

Here Here!!! Some of the best Disneyland memories of my twenty some-odd years of visiting the park involve listening to him rip up those ivories. I could sit for song after song and never get tired of hearing/watching him play. And he was always cheery, and interacting with the guests. Bringing little ones up to sit next to him on the bench. Great great man.

Jose

• Minion

There is that charisma that he has.
    He is not only an amazingly gifted pianist,
    He is a superb showman.
    That is why it will never be the same at Coke Corner. We miss him terribly, as that is our hangout. He was real Disney magic at its finest.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Sea Creature

I still remember him recognizing me by my name, he's known me since I was a kid. I still look for him all the time forgetting that he doesn't play anymore.

• Former Cast Member

If you want to relive Rod's magic visually, I would suggest buying the dvd offered through Laughing Place.com. I bought one and it is a very nice tribute to ther man who played at Coke Corner for years and years. I still have a cassette tape of a recording I made of his playing at the park back in the late 70's and it has a lot of stuff not listed on his cd. I also have another tape of me and a buddy who went over to his house and got more of his material. I should convert thses to cd's, since tapes ruin easily. I sure miss this Disney tradition.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Oh, to hear him play "The Entertainer" in his own inimitable fashion just one more time...

And to think that the man never learned to read music (at least that's what he told me).

And in all my visits after leaving the park's employ, he'd always greet me by name and with that unforgettable smile.

By the way, if anyone would like more info on the ragtime piano players group I mentioned earlier, please PM me.

--Barry

I've been wondering what happened to Rod since I hadn't seen him the last couple of times that I've gone. The Coke Corner won't be the same and I know that he truely loved to play there. I'm happy that he gets to enjoy not having to work. He was a good friend and really knew how to make fellow castmembers feel welcomed. I worked there from 2000 to 2002 and I enjoyed talking with him about his time at the park and heearing how things use to be. I'm happy he was there for as long as he was since alot of the prefomers had been cut over the years.

• Beer is good beer.

Sad Re: Rod Miller

I miss Rod - he was Coke Corner! We never stop there anymore since he's been gone.
    M A S E C A !

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Does he still come around (as a "civilian"?) Anyone know if he's doing OK health wise and/or if he's still playing anywhere?
    Just talked to him last night, before I read this thread. Healthwise he's still walking, but the nerve damage to the right leg does give him trouble playing for long periods which is why he had to retire.

And all the Silver Passes are blocked out for all of July and August, allegedly due to "extreme crowds"... Translation: They can't hire enough CM's to handle the crowds, and in a true "Dutch Boy's Finger In The Dike" move they have blocked all the retirees from coming in.

Playing wise, I asked and he admitted he's been slacking on his practicing - I'll have to bug him more often. Threaten to go down there with the whips and chains...

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    Also, is there any mailing address for him -- I'd love to send him a note letting him know how much he added to the magic of the Park!
    Let's see... His mailing address is on his webpages at www.fourhandpiano.com so I'm not giving anything away (except for pointing you in the right direction):

Rod Miller C/O Creative Entertainment Productions
    15068 Rosecrans Ave. PMB 284
    La Mirada CA 90638

Go ahead and bombard him. I'll take the heat for it...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Sector Two Droid Repair

Weird, I thought I heard he died recently.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    It still makes me sad that Rod never got the proper send-off he so very much deserved. How fun it would have been to have a month of "Come and Say Good-Bye to Rod"? He brought much happiness to so many people.

A window would be a wonderful token of appreciation, though.
    The original plan was: He would take two months off and have surgery to relieve the pinched nerve. Then he'd spend some vacation time working three and four day weeks building back up to full speed.

Problem was, they relieved the nerve and his foot didn't get any better. So he couldn't come back at all without jeapordizing his long-term disability and his retirement, even for a 'farewell tour'. And if you've ever dealt with an insurance company...

Quote Originally Posted by Berd View Post
    I miss Rod - he was Coke Corner! We never stop there anymore since he's been gone.
    Don't I know it! I have hundreds of hours of MiniDisc recordings to go through and pick out all the gems.

The playing at the Coke Corner piano has gotten very... variable. Some of the players are halfway decent and I can stand them for short periods, some are so bad I actually wonder how they got their Union cards. So bad that even if they are an incurable optimist they shouldn't waste their money on a pager.

If you are going to play a song, you need to get the notes and the chords right. Some of the players get it wrong every time, and in a different way on each successive chorus. If you have perfect pitch it's sheer torture just listening to the music getting mangled...

At least when Rod played "The Blue Danube Waltz by Levi Strauss" or "The Entertainer - But I don't know it very well..." you knew it was on purpose. And we hammed it up appropriately with him.

Quote Originally Posted by phruby View Post
    Weird, I thought I heard he died recently.
    Pick your meme: "Reports of his demise are quite premature..."

Or "I'm Not dead yet!"

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post

Let's see... His mailing address is on his webpages at www.fourhandpiano.com so I'm not giving anything away (except for pointing you in the right direction):

Rod Miller C/O Creative Entertainment Productions
    15068 Rosecrans Ave. PMB 284
    La Mirada CA 90638

Go ahead and bombard him. I'll take the heat for it...

--<< Bruce >>--
    Thanks SO much, Bruce! I am going to send him a card this week. He really made the times we went to DL so special over the years. Like mentioned in my earlier post, my kids felt like he remembered them specifically. It was so special!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12