Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Multi-decade CM

Why I Love/Hate working for Disneyland

Disneyland is one of the few places someone can work which will evoke almost polar opposite feelings at exactly the same time. Every morning, I would love going to work, yet every morning, I would hate it as well. I wonder why my brain hasn't exploded.

I would be remiss if I didn't wax eloquently about the Park before it opens, before the Guests come. So calm, so peaceful, so beautiful. This is far different from the Magic Morning crowd who see the Park with thousands of others. This is something you can only get when working there.

Then there is, of course, the smile and wonder on the faces of the Guests. The child who is so excited to meet Mickey Mouse for the first time. The enjoyment on the finely crafted rides.

And the pride of the Cast Members themselves. Now, I can't speak too much for the new hires. But definitely us Old Timers who have been around for a while will go to the ends of the Earth to make sure the Disney magic is still around.

Once upon a time, a child dropped his ice cream cone. I walked, on my break, from the Plaza to the far end of Fantasyland to get that child another ice cream. They didn't ask me. I just did it.

Or the time some child spilled some milk. The child went to clean it up, but a busser stopped her. The child said that she was supposed to clean it up. The busser replied, "Not at Disneyland."

These are Magic Memories and make Disneyland the greatest place to work in the world.

Problem is, there are reasons why Disneyland is the worst place in the world to work.

Why is it that almost every rude Guest identifies themselves as an APer?

Why is it that Management would rather kill its own grandmother before paying a CM a compliment?

Why are some of the worst CMs given the Spirit of Disney award? (Barbie, Don, you know who you are!) While some of the best are overlooked. (Dave, you deserved it for several years in a row.)

I could go on.

Behind the magic, Disney is a company. For those who want to keep the magic, best leave the curtain closed and stay on the Guest side of the berm. But for those who want to taste the magic, both the sweet drop as it hits your tongue as well as the sour taste it will leave behind, maybe a nametag is your destiny.

Anyone ever see those shots of Hollywood they show on television? Did you know that is almost a single strip? That, if they panned the camera to the left or the right just a little bit, you'd see some of the worst slums in the state? Disneyland is just like that. Ah, but there is magic in that one block! Beware, though, the slums.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Your new credit limit is $1. Have a nice day.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net

• Destruction is Inevitable

Re: Why I Love/Hate working for Disneyland

I totally agree. But, you must see that most of the time CMs make magical moments, it creates no effect. As time passes on, disneyland will still be a magical place to visit and the cast would be grateful to help guests in any situation, but its the guests that will move away from the magic. No one will be able to feel or see the magic. Truth be told, many guests just don't care all the magic and hard work that goes on at disneyland, especially the work from all the CMs, AND I MEAN ALL OF THEM. They just want to rush through the rides. To many people, they see space mountain and Big thunder as roller coasters, but to those who appreciate the story and the themeing and hard work see them as adventures that take you into outer space or around through an old mine shaft. Don't believe me? How many times have you heard the Haunted Mansion been call the "Haunted House", Splash Mountain the "log ride", Pirates of the Caribbean the "Pirate ride", any ride thats on water the "boat ride".
    Most threads talk about how great attraction CMs are, but you have to see they are a lot more people working to make the magic. The ones that hate their jobs are the one that can't make the magic for guests, or at least try to but fall greatly short to usual disney magic. The popcorn vendor at the hub thats there with fresh popcorn and cold drinks at park opening, the custodial that have to clean up vomit, horse poop, and the mountains of trash after a parade. The busser who makes sure that dirty plates and trash are gone from the table as soon as the guests that left them there get up and go to the next ride on the list. The balloon vendor that gets on one knee for a child to pick a balloon, or let the child hang on to all the balloons for a photo, the cashiers, the stockers, the food preparers, the list goes on and on. People hate their jobs at Disneyland because they feel unappreciated from co-workers, guests, and leads and other superiors. Thats why there are so many complaints towards CMs on these threads because they just stopped caring. They just put their heads down and power through the day, awaiting their next day off.

• Multi-decade CM

I'm afraid that it's people like me who are part of the problem. As long as we are willing to accept the working conditions there, then Disney has no incentive to make things better.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "I could make love for eight hours at a time. What I didn't mention was that it included four hours of begging, dinner, and a movie." - Sting

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    Why is it that almost every rude Guest identifies themselves as an APer?
    What are you trying to say?

And really, if you are a CM, it's not a good idea to publicly point fingers and name names here.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    What are you trying to say?

And really, if you are a CM, it's not a good idea to publicly point fingers and name names here.
    I wholly agree.

It's a much better idea to make all APers wear a large letter A

• That Guy

Here is why I think it is easy for CMs to assume that the chronic bytchers are APs.

Before I ever went to DLR, I didn't know much at all about it. My expectations were minimal (not knowing what to expect) but I was super excited to go. Having now been there around 15 times, and spending two years here, deconstructing the smallest minutia about DLR, I think it is understandable that when CMs think of crap guests, they often associate it with APs. The average guest doesn't have the expectations and background info that a AP/Mcer does. That certainly doesn't mean that all APs are like that, but the fact is APs are a highly knowledgeable group. I feel that new visitors to DLR don't know, that they don't know what great service, show, etc. are.

A good example of this in action, is the thread about the Nemo CM uniform. Ask the average person about them, and they would shrug and say they look fine. Not here. Here we have over 15 pages of posts about why the thread count is too high/low, etc. That's not a bad thing, just making the point that many here are hyper-aware of goings on at DLR, and care far more than the average bear.

• rockin butter sponge!

So far my only complaint is the Disney Look, and it has to do with my blonde/brown hair. They want me to either bleach my whole head or dye it dark. Which, i have never done, and will not do. Even without highlights, my hair does this naturally.
    The Disney Look was set forth in 1955 by Walt...... NINETEEN FIFTYFIVE!!! Leave my g8938725m hair alone!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

FYI, management is known to read this board. CM's might want to rethink things that they say on a public message board, not only about being a CM and the "good and bad things for working there", but any job. I've known other CM's to have had their "hands slapped" in the past for that.

Just letting you know.

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    I wholly agree.

It's a much better idea to make all APers wear a large letter A
    Perhaps we can instil a Reputation programme on APers like the one here on MiceChat.

CMs can rate APers. Too many "negative reputations" and their AP is revoked. OTOH, get enough positive points, and they get a special prize like lunch at the Inn Between. (Have no idea why that is such a treasured prize for APers, but who am I to say anything? hahahaha!)

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - A second Flood, a simple famine, plagues of locusts everywhere, or even a cataclysmic earthquake I'd accept with some dispair. But, no, you sent us Congress! Good God, Sir, was that fair?

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    The average guest doesn't have the expectations and background info that a AP/Mcer does. That certainly doesn't mean that all APs are like that, but the fact is APs are a highly knowledgeable group. I feel that new visitors to DLR don't know, that they don't know what great service, show, etc. are.
    I can agree and disagree with that.

I disagree because the bad APers don't demand Disney levels of Guest Service. They seem to think that because they spent a hundred bucks on a pass, they deserve to stand out among the crowd, that they are more than special. What? You don't want to leave the theatre so we can clean it out? You want to change your baby now? No. Oops, they go to City Hall and file a complaint. Argh!

Believe me, CMs didn't get together one day and say "Hey, let's dump on APers." No, AP reputation has been earned. I deeply apologise to you good APers out there for the scorn you get because of some bad APers.

Like I said before, the best APer is the one we don't know has an AP.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - "Next time you feel like killing, just have a stick of gum." - Leela (Futurama)

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    FYI, management is known to read this board. CM's might want to rethink things that they say on a public message board, not only about being a CM and the "good and bad things for working there", but any job. I've known other CM's to have had their "hands slapped" in the past for that.
    Are you kidding? I post because I want them to read my threads!

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - A good wife always forgives her husband when she's wrong.

• Minion

Perhaps we can instil a Reputation programme on APers like the one here on MiceChat.

CMs can rate APers. Too many "negative reputations" and their AP is revoked. OTOH, get enough positive points, and they get a special prize like lunch at the Inn Between. (Have no idea why that is such a treasured prize for APers, but who am I to say anything? hahahaha!)

Lighthope
    Lunch at the Inn Between would be a punishment, not a reward.

• Minion

Believe me, CMs didn't get together one day and say "Hey, let's dump on APers." No, AP reputation has been earned. I deeply apologise to you good APers out there for the scorn you get because of some bad APers.

Like I said before, the best APer is the one we don't know has an AP.

Lighthope
    Apparently you weren't invited to the meetings ...

• Multi-decade CM

Apparently you weren't invited to the meetings ...

Must have been my day off.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - If there is no God, who pops up the next Kleenex?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Lunch at the Inn Between would be a punishment, not a reward.
    Seeing CM's and characters smoking cigarettes and reading the "Racing Form" on a lunch break might spoil the magic for someone not used to seeing it.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast