Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Official "Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage" Pictures, Information, and Reviews

Another vid. Low quality (it's Youtube) and its mostly bubbles with a lot of audio but something in the end. Hopefully you can see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbxrQRZzxi0

I'm still waiting for another video to come through.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Done and Gone

Re: Official "Finding Nemo: Submarine Voyage" Pictures, Information, and Reviews

Well fortune was on our side tonight. We arrived and ate dinner. We looked at the lagoon for a while and then made our way to the entrance where a cast member made our day! (and many others too I might add)

Some random thoughts in no particular order:

The ride was great! I cannot be picky about it because it was so surreal that I was aboard a sub again. In answer to some things I've read here and elsewhere, I thought the blend between projections and "physical effects" was well done. There was some very nearly seamless integration between projections and "set pieces" which were very cool.

The seats are smallish and reminded me of the seats in my wifes first grade classroom. (I'm not saying thats the EXACT size, but they reminded me of them.) Though I realize tonight was a cast member preview and all, our sub was sent with several empty seats so I think spacing MIGHT take care of itself with CM discretion. (Yes, capacity will probably suffer but this isn't an omnimover after all.)

The stairs going down aren't "Scary" but they seem to be out of the norm in the current world of lawyerland. Hard to put into words.

In all, I'm happy to have the subs back. It was such a thrill my jaw hurt from smiling the whole ride. I haven't walked away from Disneyland this happy with a ride since my first ride aboard Indy on grad night in 95.

If I think of anything else I'll add it later, for now its time to say goodbye...

• Banned User

I got to ride tonight and here's what I thought. Sat in the first sub on the left side. No spoilers here.

-Overheard a person who has already ridden three times. Come on. Who keeps letting this jerk on?

-You will hear HOLD ON TO THE HANDRAILS a million times.

-Like sneakerspray experienced, our sub was sent with a few empty seats.

-Very cool soundtrack.

-Wonderfully presented gags and scenes from the movie.

-Some of the digital stuff wasn't working properly I think. There were long stretches with only dialogue and sound but no characters.

-Yes it's cramped in those subs but managable.

-Dream Squad guy told me the line was too long to give me a pass to ride, but then asked me how many were in my party. I said I was by myself so he gave me a ticket.

-Yes there are homages to the original attraction.

-Okay, this ride is good, but please, NO MORE PIXAR RIDES IN DISNEYLAND!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCACM View Post
    My only caveat is being forced into a story-line. I much prefer the original meandering "story" of the original that let my imagination take over.
    Exactly. That's what keeps this attraction from going from "worth it" E Ticket to legendary Disneyland E Ticket. It doesn't stir any emotion or imagination in me. It's like watching a movie with sea props basically. Overall I would give it thumbs up, but this isn't the stuff dreams are made of.
    Quote Originally Posted by thrax View Post
    so was it projectoins or a lot of physical stuff actually in the water
    I think this attraction relies too heavily on projections and that's why I can't think of it as a classic. Great ride, but too much of a film. It was like watching a 3D movie while moving.
    Last edited by SpokkerJones; 06-05-2007 at 01:01 AM.

• Neep meep beep

This newly posted photo is definitely worth a look - it's the first I've seen of this type yet!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39146060@N00/526859581/

• A New Kind Of Villain

Ok people listen up, this is a Special CM Preview. It's a serious matter, so we need to go over the rules.

This applies to all you camera trigger happy Micechatters out there. Photography and Filming of the video you are about to see is absolutely PROHIBITED!

Now that we've covered the ground rules, let's go wait in the longest queue known to Disneyland and listen closely to the safety guidelines the legal department has laborously put together.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage Queue Music and Safety Spiel: http://figmentsmedia.net/sadako/Find...ge%20Queue.mp3

And finally the time has come to journey back through liquid space into the world of Nemo & Friends:

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - Full Ride Video - 1 of 2 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6196015580254901523

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - Full Ride Video - 2 of 2 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7081806536690762046

There you have it folks. Having been on EPCOT's "The Sea's with Nemo & Friends", I knew what to expect, but the technology still blew me away. The interaction at some points between the projections and the real objects was a lot better done than in EPCOT's attraction (Specifically the bit with Dory and the jellyfish), and the proximity of the projections made it more lifelike than the far away feel of The Sea's (Dory's bit at the end with the whale). Plus as opposed to The Sea's, the Submarine Voyage actually follows a theme and story, which are the cornerstones of the Disneyland experience. In The Sea's I felt like I was just watching, but one the Submarine Voyage, I felt like I was actually experiencing it, especially when the lights flicker and change inside the submarine during the mine explosion and at other times. Plus you come face to face with some of the characters and that ugly fish with the big pointy teeth.

The only major bad thing I can say is how puny and dissapointing the animatronics look compared to the projections. I spent months drooling and staring at any glimpse I could get of the crabs and Darla, yet when we passed by them and I saw them in action I just couldn't help but think how underwhelmed I was. It's almost the same feeling I had last year after the POTC refurb to see some of the old AA's when placed next to the amazingly lifelike Jack Sparrow ones. Another con is there's barely anything in the lagoon before entering the show building and the show scenes... I was looking for things to see, but there were barely any besides the pair of animatronics. There's a lot of dead space that could easily be spruced up.

All in all though, it's an amazing ride and I simply can't wait to go on again and again and again!

It's really going to be hard to get bored of this attraction.

Thank you WDI!

EDIT: Um... GoogleVideo attachment thingie doesn't seem to be working, so just click on the links to get to the videos ^_^
    Last edited by Sadako; 06-05-2007 at 08:34 AM.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Finding nemo sub VIDEO!!!!!!!!!

WOO! i tryed doing this, but my phone wouldnt take past 5 mins. so here is a vid of the subs!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1euGbjMWLlE

oh well and this! "http://video.google.com/googleplayer...90762046&hl=en" i dont know if its on here anywhere

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by disneyguy115 View Post
    oh well and this! "http://video.google.com/googleplayer...90762046&hl=en" i dont know if its on here anywhere
    Um... that's actually the second half of the Full Ride Video I posted last night... Look back on Page 3 of this thread for my full audio / video / review.

And for anyone who hasn't seen it yet... this wonderful attraction already has an official poster!

Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Minion

Blog Entries

Ok so we are going to go ahead and put our two cents in... The ride was great... we are glad we got to go on it... Most of the track was the same as the original soundtrack except in an australian accent, the seats are microscopic still, to much time was spent on the Jelly Fish, totally not enough bruce, and whatever you do DON'T get stuck on the last seat for a few reasons... Alot of what you get to see in the way of video depends on the driver and I missed a few of the scenes also the bar goes right into your thigh if you are in the very last seat... UNCOMFY TO THE MAX!!! Anyways... We are glad we went on it but definately won't go on it again until the lines die way down... We can not go on that ride with it in max load again...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• I Love Disneyland!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    Congratulations to micechatter Master Gracey -- for being the first person to enjoy the annual passholde preview! He sat in the first seat of the first sub for the first hour the previews were offered.
    AWW ... you beat me to it!!

Congrats MG!! and Thanks so much for the invite!!! I couldn't have asked for a better sub partner.

On another note.... THE SUBS ROCK!!!! It was amaaaaazing. You will all love it... take your kids, they will freak! Great Job Disney!!!
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    Congratulations to micechatter Master Gracey -- for being the first person to enjoy the annual passholde preview! He sat in the first seat of the first sub for the first hour the previews were offered.
    Heeey! I was in the second seat of the first sub (Nautilus)! Everyone knows that that's the best!

Aaahahaha

I do thank you MasterGracey for letting me aboard. I did get to ride a second time today (aboard the Nautilus once again), and it was just as delicious as the first.

This ride's a keeper, folks!

At last, I once again find myself peering through the porthole into liquid space.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 06-06-2007 at 11:50 AM.

• Miss Marvel

Pics from the 1st Sub of AP Holders that disembarked today

So, this will eventually be linked to from my trip report of this mornings ride on the first SUB outta the gate at the AP PREVIEW!!!

UPDATE: If anyone wants to check out the first part of my trip report, go here.
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66940

WOOOOO! So, here we go.

Here, we venture down into the Sub, skippered by our fantastic cast member...which I forgot his name. DOH!

Our row of intrepid passengers with my hubby in the front. (Edit: HAHA. He just pointed out that wasn't him!!! Well, he was next to the guy you see there.) There were three more ladies on the other side of me. They're the ones who managed to be in front of us in the line. I still have no clue how they beat us there.

The view from my hubby's porthole.

We descend!!!! TINY BUBBLES!!!!!!!

The first few sights.

Somehow, I missed Darla! I saw a brief glimpse of her through another guests porthole as she made some comment about it. Guess I was messing with my camera too much. >_< Here's a big fish.

An old-fashioned diver's helmet. There's a fish inside, but I wasn't quick enough.

Wonderfully themed, beautifully sculpted, ancient ruins. Do you see a turtle? I do.

The VERY realistic looking SCUBA diver, who is looking at.......

...this fun dude.

About three or four of these guys were next. Hubby, can you put one of those pearls on a necklace for me?

The beautiful coral landscape.

Once we went into the show building, I tried three times to take photos. This was the best one. So I stopped trying. I'd rather enjoy the ride then stress about taking bad photos.

After the show building, we had these lovely guys to entertain us. All the while listening to "Beyond the Sea."

I was super impressed with the technology. Loved every minute of it. Wished we could go again. But alas, it was time to leave so we could have even a fighting chance to make it back to LA for work on time.

All of the animation was fun, but the truly impressive scenes were the big group ones. Multiple layers of animation, animatronics, real set pieces....sigh. Flowing lava!!!! UNDERWATER!!!! THIS is what makes a Disney ride disney. THIS is why we go to Disneyland. For rides exactly like this.

To see pics of the exterior from the que, pics and info about the process, and my wacky "Why won't anyone let us park our car," trip report, stay tuned. I'll link to it from here once I put it up.

ALSO, in said trip report, will be a fun game of, "Guess who's the VIP that had a solo trip around the lagoon before the AP's were let on." Do you know? I took the pic and I STILL don't.

UPDATE: To go to the final chapter of my trip report, go here.
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...20#post1826820
    Last edited by MaryAnn in Wndrlnd; 06-06-2007 at 07:20 PM.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Thank you to Scubabe for the ticket! Had a great time.

The entrance to get our tickets.

The media stage is already somewhat up.

No one was there for our time.

Ok without further ado, here are the pics.

Lots of tributes.

And what is this?

The End.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

I road it today at 12:00 pm. My general take is that it has much less E-ticket-ness than Pirates, Indiana, or Space Mountain. In other words, less thrills and excitement. No big, OMG moments. It generally feels much more like Peter Pans Flight, because there isn't this sense of hugeness that you get from looking out on a big show scene.

However, that's the general problem with anything they could have done with the existing ride. It has to have duplicate show scenes out each side of the sub, the show building can only be so big to accomidate that.

Is it worth waiting 2 hours in line to see? I did a quick poll of my wife and two kids, and all of them said no. 1 hour was the max they would wait to ride it again. That surprised me. I'd probably have a tough time wanting to ride it again if the line wasn't under an hour.

It's a very good ride, but there just isn't enough visual queues or otherwise to make you feel totally immersed in the ride. The problem is that projected images of the fish don't interact enough with real physical objects. The best part of the ride is when the you see real anamotronic figures in the water interacting with the projected images. It makes the projected images seem much more real and less 2 dimensional. There just isn't enough of it to keep you convinced that Marlin and Dory are real. That's where it starts to break down.

Generally, it's a great ride, and it's much better than anything has ever been done with the Subs in the past. The problem is that it just fell short of what could have been done.

Showed up today around 5:30 WITHOUT tickets...talked to the cm and asked if there was a standby line for APers w/o tickets...he said "no we're not really doing that today"...just then some exec. let a family in and the cm said to us, under his breath and whispering, "Go! Go! Gooo!"...the exec. went up to us immediately but just asked to see our AP's...we were shown straight to the front of the queue and were on the ride in about 3 mins....never hurts to ask!

Ride is every bit as good as you heard it is...E-ticket all the way! Gonna try my luck again tomorrow!!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast