Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

Question Parade of Dreams seating for guests with disabilities

So far I know of only two places to park a wheelchair to enjoy the parade. One is next to the ice cream cart close to IASW and the other we found was at the end of Main Street right near the photo shop. I was hoping there might be others.

The one next to the ice cream cart, in our experience, gets blocked by people who step in front of the cart as soon as it closees for the parade and you can't see over them. The other is in direct sun for both performances. While I am very glad that we at least have thos options, I would love it if we could find something else, maybe at the front of the park at the loop by Main Street or even in the middle of the route somewhere.

When we were there in May, we couldn't find a CM that knew where more might be or if any more existed (which is fine, they can't possibly know everything). I have exhausted the Disneyland website, the disabilities guide and maps. I thought I would find out from you, my knowledgable friends here at MC!

TIA
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

• Minion

Re: Parade of Dreams seating for guests with disabilities

We have never used it, but its my understanding that one of teh wheelchair areas is by the Matterhorn along the route. You can usually ask at City Hall.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• I'm not really here

On our last trip we sat right (literally) next to the disabled viewing by iasw and it remained clear as a CM stayed just to the side of it and kept people away from it. Also, characters paid a good amount of attention to children in that area and their smiles were wonderful to watch. It made their day.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

Thanks for the info! We are taking my Dad this time and he hasn't been since 1993. I want him to be able to enjoy his grandchildren watching the parade. I guess we better plan a trip to City Hall on the way in for a few things. I'm surprised that I have never stopped there before.

All means ALL

There is also a wheelchair section by the corn dog cart on main street. Although its on the sunny side of the street if you see the early parade its nice. I useally watch the evening parade. The lights on the float show up real nice. And at that location you get two show stops. The first float and the last float. I hope you enjoy.
    o A mouse a day, keeps the blues away. o

• Guilty!

Technically, a Guest with a wheelchair can sit anywhere along the parade route as long as the wheelchair is in the rear of the seating section.

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

Quote Originally Posted by Scream162 View Post
    Technically, a Guest with a wheelchair can sit anywhere along the parade route as long as the wheelchair is in the rear of the seating section.
    Yes, but we would like her be able to see the parade. In the w/c section, people can't stand in front of you.

All means ALL

• some imagination huh?

I believe there may also be one in Town Square just to the left of the Mad Hatter [around the corner from the Magic shop] near the gates where the parade begins/ends.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FoundMyHappyPlace View Post
    Yes, but we would like her be able to see the parade. In the w/c section, people can't stand in front of you.
    People shouldn't stand in front of her if her chair is right up on the line, since they'd then be on the parade route.
    Here's a trick: stand (or sit) in front of her chair until the parade starts. Like right up on the line. That way no one gets any ideas. Then switch places when the parade starts.
    Disclaimer: I have no experience with this situation.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Guest control CMs should do what they are paid to do, control guests. However management doesn't encourage them to organize and arrange guests or enforce rules about being courteous. It's a free for all out there and all CMs will do is wave their flashlights at you.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Guest control CMs should do what they are paid to do, control guests. However management doesn't encourage them to organize and arrange guests or enforce rules about being courteous. It's a free for all out there and all CMs will do is wave their flashlights at you.
    A somewhat simplistic and unsympathetic POV.

If CM's get unduly focused on isolated situations, the big picture of crowd management and flow will suffer. They should note such things as they can and have a lead or floater deal with specific situations.
    Last edited by JeffYardDog; 06-05-2007 at 05:31 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    I somewhat simplistic and unsympathetic POV.

If CM's get unduly focused on isolated situations, the big picture of crowd management and flow will suffer. They should note such things as they can and have a lead or floater deal with specific situations.
    Excellent point. THANK you for pointing this out.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    People shouldn't stand in front of her if her chair is right up on the line, since they'd then be on the parade route.
    Here's a trick: stand (or sit) in front of her chair until the parade starts. Like right up on the line. That way no one gets any ideas. Then switch places when the parade starts.
    Disclaimer: I have no experience with this situation.
    Yes, I agree if its up on the line but I was responding to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by scream162 View Post
    This was of course referring to seating outside of w/c designated areas. While seated up front, if someone were to stand up NEXT to her chair or even a few people over, it blocks her view of the parade as it comes up the street (She is really little).

Quote Originally Posted by spokkerjones View Post

FTR, we haven't asked the CMs to coordinate anything special, everywhere I look (in official literature) it states to ask a parade route CM where the spots were and no one I asked knew. As stated before, we don't expect them to be able to know everything!

Thanks for all of your responses. We are really looking forward to trying a new place to watch the parade. At the last one, we had TWO parade stops and they were so different from the ones we had last year.

All means ALL

Guest control is a whole other animal than working ones normal attraction. One must step out of their comfort zone to yell direction to guests, while still sounding polite and courteous. The vast majority of guests do not listen, and those that do tend to complain and cast the evil eye your way. I cannot tell you how many times I have intentionally been plowed into by strollers and ecv's, pushed out of the way and otherwise manhandled while doing GC.

It is important to note that GC is not an area that CM's are trained on. We are thrown out there, and just pick up what we are doing as we go along. I admit, I didn't know where any of the wheelchair seating areas are, and was told there weren't any. Now I know this to be untrue. My suggestion to you? Find two CM's that are working together. Ask them if they know where wheelchair seating is. If they say they do not, ask them to get their Lead. The Lead will definitely know where they are located. The reason for finding two CM's working together? One CM could be working a position that they are not allowed to leave. If there are two, you have a better chance of one being able to go find the Lead for you. Good luck!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kriskitty22 View Post
    Guest control is a whole other animal than working ones normal attraction. One must step out of their comfort zone to yell direction to guests, while still sounding polite and courteous. The vast majority of guests do not listen, and those that do tend to complain and cast the evil eye your way. I cannot tell you how many times I have intentionally been plowed into by strollers and ecv's, pushed out of the way and otherwise manhandled while doing GC.

It is important to note that GC is not an area that CM's are trained on. We are thrown out there, and just pick up what we are doing as we go along. I admit, I didn't know where any of the wheelchair seating areas are, and was told there weren't any. Now I know this to be untrue. My suggestion to you? Find two CM's that are working together. Ask them if they know where wheelchair seating is. If they say they do not, ask them to get their Lead. The Lead will definitely know where they are located. The reason for finding two CM's working together? One CM could be working a position that they are not allowed to leave. If there are two, you have a better chance of one being able to go find the Lead for you. Good luck!
    Another, perhaps simpler alternative also arguably a little unfair.

When you have time off, go to the park during parades and/or fireworks and wander around the areas observing the CM's at various locations and identify yourself as a CM and ask them about such issues and any advice they have in general or for their specific location.

Not all training has to be solely on company time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast